The Shibutanis Thread 4: Ready for Paradise

arakwafan2006

I actually don’t feel like this is similar to Fix You at all, strangely enough, although I was concerned it would be when they announced their music choice. You’re right, the entire feeling is completely different. Fix You was about pushing through their desperation to a better place while this dance is a celebration of where they are now and how far they’ve come.

I don’t really blame them for being artistically “safer” and going for something with broad appeal. It’s an Olympic year, literally everyone is doing this and playing to their strengths. People who want to criticize V/M and P/C will say they’re rehashing old programs too. That’s too simplistic of an interpretation for all 3 teams in my opinion.

I love everything you said. In my mind, Tessa and Scott are taking a risk in the wrong season while the Shibs are putting out the best version of what they've evolved into over the past few years. They are super polished this early with room to grow, particularly in the lifts. To me, and we have not seen the rest but they seem to be pacing for the bronze at the games big time.

MRani

I love everything you said. In my mind, Tessa and Scott are taking a risk in the wrong season while the Shibs are putting out the best version of what they've evolved into over the past few years. They are super polished this early with room to grow, particularly in the lifts. To me, and we have not seen the rest but they seem to be pacing for the bronze at the games big time.

I get what you’re saying and I totally agree with the bolded part there. One could argue that’s a key aspect of what the Olympics is all about. But I don’t think they’re going into the season with the attitude that Olympic bronze is the best they can do, nor should they :)

VGThuy

Between some of the ignorant comments on YouTube , on another forum, and this past PBP thread and the real lack of congratulations just like at Worlds 2017, where without the Shibs, C/B, and the forum’s faves H/D may have been left out of the Olympics are just driving me out of the skating fandom. I get a lot of the criticism, I really do, but so many came out it of the woodwork after the FD but they had nothing nasty to say after the SD and based on those comments it’s clear they didn’t really watch, don’t know all the work and thought the Shibs put into this program, and even think they skated to Coldplay last year to make their critiques/snark. I think I need to bounce for a bit. I’ll probably come back to this thread to comment on Skate America but right now I feel done.

MRani

Between some of the ignorant comments on YouTube , on another forum, and this past PBP thread and the real lack of congratulations just like at Worlds 2017, where without the Shibs, C/B, and the forum’s faves H/D may have been left out of the Olympics are just driving me out of the skating fandom. I get a lot of the criticism, I really do, but so many came out it of the woodwork after the FD but they had nothing nasty to say after the SD and based on those comments it’s clear they didn’t really watch, don’t know all the work and thought the Shibs put into this program, and even think they skated to Coldplay last year to make their critiques/snark. I think I need to bounce for a bit. I’ll probably come back to this thread to comment on Skate America but right now I feel done.

You do what you gotta do. This is part of why I don’t really do more than skim those threads and have no interest in commenting there. I haven’t even looked at them for the FD yet and now I probably won’t. And why would you ever read comments on YouTube, those are the worst kind of vicious :(. For many of those commenters, part of the negativity and snide attitude comes from a place of insecurity about their favorites and shows that they feel threatened by the Shibs’ success, so it’s almost a compliment. But I understand if you need a break from it all. Your commentary will be missed in the meantime.

Mrs. P

Eh, don't let it get you down VIETgrlTerifa! I think it means they're true contenders when ubers of other teams try to cut them down.

Besides, we all survived the dark ages of 2012-2015 when we heard on a daily basis how they would never catch up to Chock and Bates for U.S. No. 1, That any number of U.S. teams would beat them and leave them in the dust including a number of junior teams who have languished or no longer together and so-forth and that they should break up and go with other partners. This is child's play. ;)

VGThuy

I survived all of that too. I just thought with their success they’d get some recognition here but it seems to have gotten even worse now that they are having success. It just really sucks around here some times when you’re a Shibs fan, especially with so many openly wishing H/D to beat them because they are the new favorites and haven’t lived up to their potential and now have a narrative about politics being against them. I also think I should take a break because I’m finding myself being more negative about H/D and I LOVE H/D’s skating and I don’t want their fans to affect that.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
It gets worse as the Shibs come out strong and are real threats to their faves.

For what it's worth my 7 year old son (who just moved up to ISI delta level so we're super excited haha) was enthralled by the Shibs. He loves the song and kept saying how good the skating was. So it's definitely going to appeal to the masses. He usually doesn't like to sit through dance programs, but he loved this one.

Mrs. P

I think quite a few people liked it actually, it just got drowned in all the loud voices. The loudest doesn't always speak for the majority, which including those who aren't posting comments on forums and YouTube. :p I noticed watching the FD again that a few people actually stood up, so it resonated with some folks.

ETA: What the big takeaway from me is just how confident they were. More so then ever before. I remember seeing them in the SD at Nationals 2014 in-person and how nervy they were and they made some little mistakes, and this was Nationals, much later in the season. This is a complete 180 and it's only the first competition of the season. They are ready for the challenge.

chapis

I understand you and I respect your decision, you know those comments bothers me a lot too. But precisely when there are many people against them, it is always nice to see people supporting them here. And who knows, maybe Maia and Alex read these forums, they surely are greatful with your comments.

But it is ok if you need a break.

Mrs. P

Hey, here's something to cheer you all up: Practice FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NCcd3mMHss
You might get motion sickness from the camera shake, but you're right chapis -- the sound quality of the video was not good. You can hear A LOT more of hte music here....and it's much more dynamic. Also you can see how much ice they cover!

Also now that you can hear the music better, there's actually another choreoliteralism moment with their first lift -- Maia's actually dismounting "in reverse" as the lyric says "stuck in reverse." Cool.

chapis

Hey, here's something to cheer you all up: Practice FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NCcd3mMHss
You might get motion sickness from the camera shake, but you're right chapis -- the sound quality of the video was not good. You can hear A LOT more of hte music here....and it's much more dynamic. Also you can see how much ice they cover!

Also now that you can hear the music better, there's actually another choreoliteralism moment with their first lift -- Maia's actually going in reverse as the lyric says "stuck in reverse" then she rises from it! Cool.

I cant open videos in my phone right now, but I am very happy that the music is better than the official video!!

Mrs. P

And the Olympic Channel commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPibMgNZn88

ETA: Charlie pretty much affirmed my views on the FD -- a well-executed first performance with TONS of room for growth. I agree that they will benefit with more abandon and more flow of the whole body. But I'm so glad he noted how well-constructed this program and how much thought they put into it.

Last edited:

MRani

Before you disappear VIETgrl, I’ll tell you a story about the Shibs that will hopefully cheer you up a little. The whole reason I fell in love with ice dance as a discipline is because of them. I stumbled upon one of their videos on YouTube by accident in early 2016 and was completely and totally enthralled. I spent an entire day searching through all of their dances and watching them :lol:. I’d been a figure skating fan before that but never paid attention to ice dance. Because of them, I started paying attention to other teams and before I knew it I was hooked. I would have missed out on a lot of amazing skating from all the current and many past teams in dance if not for them. When I need something to cheer me up I watch one of their dances (current automatic smile inducer is That’s Life SD :D). I share their videos with my family and friends. I’ve been following them and ice dance for a whole year now but only just starting commenting on forums. I’m sure there’s a silent army of dedicated and devoted Shibs fans just like I was who adore them and appreciate them but aren’t commenting on forums/videos because we’re intimidated by people who seem to know a lot more about the sport than us. The Shibs were amazing enough to bring me into this sport when I (ignorantly) thought ice dance was boring. At the end of the day, I think that’s the greatest marker of the impact and success they’ve had and will continue to have. No one can take that away from them or take that enjoyment of their skating away from us.

PS. Sorry this turned into a novel :shuffle:

Maddie Sparks

VIETgrlTerifa, you can't let other random people's opinion get you down. The amount of vitriol that gets spewed at all the top ice dance teams is unnerving at best, but also completely uninformed and usually fuelled on by uber fans of other teams. You just can't take it seriously, or let it impede on your enjoyment of the sport. Now I just keep scrolling when I see something nasty, because that person doesn't deserve my time.

Also, I have rewatched Maia and Alex's FD a couple of times now, and I think they're smart to only use one song; I like how the instrumental parts only serving to enhance the overall theme. Their straight line lift with all the changes in position is executed so well and is already one of my favourite lifts/moments of any team so far (I rewound and watched it at least 10 times) Also I LOVE the red on Maia... in fact, they are both so pretty to look at. :)

Last edited:

Anyasnake

@VIETgrlTerifa Don't get angry by those comments : the best contenders are always attacked.
Honestly the Ice Dance uber fandom can be somehow nasty so I entirely get your frustration. Some people are just waiting for the videos to put a dislike on it or to comment it with very bad manners.

I was just on instagram the other day, Gabriella posted a picture and a second later, nasty comments appeared. They were deleted, but I mean, WHY ? This happens a lot with Tessa too (actually 90% of the time she post a skating-related picure) ! How would someone dare going directly on their instagram and insult them ? This is going way too far, attacking skaters directly, or tagging them on twitter.
What I like in this Shibs thread is how you ( and @chapis ) are reflecting calmly on every skaters' program and elements before giving your honest opinion, and good constructive criticism. Even though my favourite team is P/C, I really enjoy posting here : First, I REALLY like the Shibs and YES, you can enjoy several teams at the same time. I enjoy both V/M, P/C, Shibs, H/D, and so on... Every team has it advantage, with the Shibs it's their style for the FD (obviously :cheer2:), but most importantly, their approach on skating (I love reading about skaters' creative process), the relation with social media (very healthy and thoughtful) and with their fans.

I understand you went to read the youtube comments : you want to find people who share you view on them or simply someone who really liked it as you did ! I read them for that, thankfully I ignore the bad ones all the time now. I'm tired of reading some BS that Tessa is fat, Gabriella doesn't know how to skate and the Shibs are the slowest skater ever. These people just need to get a life, it's nothing major, don't give them your attention. Let's all cheer for Ice dance :biggrinbo

GreenGan

One of the things I'm most interested in this season is how the US national is gonna end. Well with what the Shibs did at Rostelecom, I'd say H/D still have a lot of work to do to be number one. Shibs looked way more.. Professionnal ? I don't really know how to qualify that. Let's say better ;)

This SD of them is really well built. It's on my top 5 with Co/B, P/C and S/B. I wasn't a fan of the Shibs at first but I've come to like them and appreciate their skating. (And this is mostly thanks to @VIETgrlTerifa who made a very efficient lobbying, making me see what I did't see at first when I was just lurking here and trying to educate myself on Ice Dance. Just a small parenthesis to thank you about that and tell you that people can change their mind!)

That said, I don't know if you'll agree with me but I think most of the criticism about "not letting go" is because their back is quite tensed, and is not moving at all. This is important for having a good posture, and it was great in their 2016 SD but I think on latin you need to relax and let it move and ondulate. They are NOT the only team with that problem but I don't why I see it more with them.

I really like their FD lift (the stationnary and the straight line lift are to die for, hard to do and absolutely beautiful position of Maia in the stationnary), but I don't really like how this program is constructed. Step Sequence, lift, lift, twizzles, lift ? I missed some dance in between. The transition were there, but it somehow felt short. I'm too used to this kind of construction I guess. Also I think after the twizzles I was expecting a great Step Sequence and was quite disappointed to see "just" a lift.

Woops, lots of words, sorry. My two cents on the Shibs :)

Last edited:

sap5

Aw, all the criticism just means that people consider the Shibs to be a real team in the spotlight. Look at the way P/C and V/M are trashed on the daily. At least no one says that Maia can't skate at all or that they're lying liars who lie and stash sekret babies in a closet somewhere.

Cayuse

"I’m sure there’s a silent army of dedicated and devoted Shibs fans just like I was who adore them and appreciate them but aren’t commenting on forums/videos because we’re intimidated by people who seem to know a lot more about the sport than us." -@MRani

I am a member of this silent army. I've closely followed Maia and Alex since they were novices. The cuteness factor of the duo hooked me for life. It has been quite a ride to watch them mature and develop into a TOP world team. Remember when Alex got so tall and we worried that Maia wouldn't grow tall enough to match him?

Please don't stop posting @VIETgrlTerifa. I read this thread because of the insight you, @Dobre, @chapis and others share about this marvelous team.

Last edited:

Anyasnake

I’m sure there’s a silent army of dedicated and devoted Shibs fans just like I was who adore them and appreciate them but aren’t commenting on forums/videos because we’re intimidated by people who seem to know a lot more about the sport than us.

I am a member of this silent army. I've closely followed Maia and Alex since they were novices. The cuteness factor of the duo hooked me for life. It has been quite a ride to watch them mature and develop into a TOP world team. Remember when Alex got tall and we weren't sure if Maia would ever grow taller to match him?

Please don't stop posting @VIETgrlTerifa. I read this thread because of the insight you, @Dobre, @chapis and others share about this marvelous team.
I don't think they do at all. Some yes of course (those who skated), but for the majority I don't think so. Just some people seems to have made up their mind about something so strongly it's hard to make them believe te opposite.

I used to be silent too, I decided to post on forums after Worlds 2016 I think. I wanted to be part of the conversation because it's funnier, but I never thought that fanwars could go to such extent. I was not here during 2010-2014 era, and I was told it was absolutely nasty.

Have you noticed how the forums can make you change your mind ? Saying, this one will win, or no, this one will, and then it's another story and everyone seems surprised. We have to do leave speculation for the prediction games I think. After worlds 2017, everyone was sure that H/D will beat Shibs at 2018 Nats (including me). Well,just after the Shibs SD, I can tell you, I changed my mind right away. We just won't know what will happen until Nats. In the meantime, let's support our favourite teams... :biggrinbo

arakwafan2006

I get what you’re saying and I totally agree with the bolded part there. One could argue that’s a key aspect of what the Olympics is all about. But I don’t think they’re going into the season with the attitude that Olympic bronze is the best they can do, nor should they :)

Yes, they should. There is no way they can beat Virtue and Moir or Papadakis and Cizeron. Those two teams are in the stratosphere in terms of scores. They of course should be pushing towards their best however, realistically, it's not going to happen, unless there is a mistake.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I'm sorry you feel this way but it's completely understandable. I've started to slowly withdraw from some of the threads involving ID especially after some escalation in the ice dance thread recently. I don't think I'm cut off for the cut throat fan wars. So I've now retreated to the sheltered fan threads and the non ID ones to get my figure skating fix ;) I've always enjoyed reading your very well-informed posts, you're always trying your hardest to be objective and as an uber, it's mighty hard. Hope you'll come back soon :40beers:

chapis

They are using That´s life for exhibition, I know people want to see new programs but as I said about Tessa and Scott, it would be great that their hip hip programs will be seen in the olympic stage. I just wish that the Shibs would changed costumes.

they are doing their 4 sets of twizzles like this is nothing, while other teams are struggling with twizzles in competition.

chapis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22K41F7FLe4

Commentary in Spanish. The Spanish aunts really liked it !
I didn't find any Dance teams with BESP commentary though, it's a pity.

Do you speak spanish? cool! :respec:

They said : ¨ The program has a lot of variety and contrast of movements, power. Twizzles always to the rhythm of the music, twizzles super well choreographed, in the opportune moment, speed, power, variety, very good, very good. And what a precision of edges, cleanliness and subtlety. They have done a formidable job. ¨
----------------

I am glad especially about that they noticed that the program has a lot of variety and contrast of movements

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information