The Seguin/Bilodeau Love Thread - because they're the cutest

aftershocks

Banned Member
I understand that reputation and momentum strongly affect PCS, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Yeah, I'm sure no fan really likes this fact about the sport, unless their personal faves are winning. ;)

Figure skating is definitely frustrating. I think I/M and S/B each have different styles and varying strengths and weaknesses. And of course S/B are younger and since they've lost some momentum and consistency, their rep has slipped a bit. But that can change with strong, consistent performances to music and choreo that suits them and shows their maturity this season.

I'm not sure I see what you are saying about I/M, except that they have been a new team and it takes time for new teams to find their rhythm together and what works for them. I/M's first season was a nice beginning. I didn't like their programs much in their second season. And then last season, they got help from Sandra Bezic and David Wilson, and they impressed judges and fans. Remember too that it's politics at work when a team is well-liked. And when they show good results, usually backing and support increase in strength.

Re M-T/M, Kirsten made her decision, and then she had to make more decisions in a hurry and it was like starting over again learning with a different partner who is less experienced. After moving to better coaches, things began looking up for Kirsten and Michael. Sure, they still have a ways to go, but they have definitely improved. And I'm sure they will be sticking around for another four years at least.

S/B have something magical together when the magic happens. They have had injury setbacks and are going through maturing changes as young skaters. Possibly they could hit their stride this season with a learning curve that helps them reach a new level. They do have better programs than last season from what I've seen so far.

barbarafan

Yeah, I'm sure no fan really likes this fact about the sport, unless their personal faves are winning. ;)

Figure skating is definitely frustrating. I think I/M and S/B each have different styles and varying strengths and weaknesses. And of course S/B are younger and since they've lost some momentum and consistency, their rep has slipped a bit. But that can change with strong, consistent performances to music and choreo that suits them and shows their maturity this season.

I'm not sure I see what you are saying about I/M, except that they have been a new team and it takes time for new teams to find their rhythm together and what works for them. I/M's first season was a nice beginning. I didn't like their programs much in their second season. And then last season, they got help from Sandra Bezic and David Wilson, and they impressed judges and fans. Remember too that it's politics at work when a team is well-liked. And when they show good results, usually backing and support increase in strength.

Re M-T/M, Kirsten made her decision, and then she had to make more decisions in a hurry and it was like starting over again learning with a different partner who is less experienced. After moving to better coaches, things began looking up for Kirsten and Michael. Sure, they still have a ways to go, but they have definitely improved. And I'm sure they will be sticking around for another four years at least.

S/B have something magical together when the magic happens. They have had injury setbacks and are going through maturing changes as young skaters. Possibly they could hit their stride this season with a learning curve that helps them reach a new level. They do have better programs than last season from what I've seen so far.

I feel S/B are head and shoulders above MTM2. They always have had good skating skills & after visiting Lyndon Johnson to work on twists and throws those elements are beautiful. They have great chemistry. They still are not quite back to where they were before the injuries happened but are steadily improving. I think they just need to straighten out the jumps. Ignore what judges give in quebec in the summer as they mark according to who their favourites are.

I/M have gorgeous lifts and throws and their twist is steadily improving. Lubov needs to conquer the mental probs. on jumps. Their chemistry and her artistry are wonderful.

MTM2 do not have any chemistry but they are working hard on acting so things are looking up. Their technique has improved so much since they moved to MTL and Michael has worked with other partners while Kirsten couldn't skate and he really has built his confidence up and it really shows..

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ I also think that Kirsten and Michael have fully committed to being in this together, sink or swim. They appear to respect and care about each other, and it's clear they have worked hard to make things work. As a result, they have improved a great deal. That's why I admire them, despite the fact they still have a lot to work on. Right now they seem to be trying to define/ develop a style together.

Oh sorry, Julianne & Charlie thread! S/B are always delightful to watch, and I look forward to them doing well this season. :cheer2:

Last edited:

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
I've been rewatching their Autumn Classic programs and I'm just mesmerized by them. Such potential for greatness, imo. Their connection, their timing, their elements that are just so smooth and effortless. Sure, they have room for improvement but overall they are just such a great PAIR, two skating as one. I just hope they stay healthy, and work hard! They definitely have the star quality. My fave Canadian pair (although I really love I/M as well).

barbarafan

Great skate, garbage judging for Julianne and Charlie in the short at Rostelecom. :mad: Hope they skate just as strongly in the free. :cheer2:

It looked good to me as well but I had to be out & since I came home only saw G/P shibs and in pairs T/m & S/B.

Seerek

Their connection, their timing, their elements that are just so smooth and effortless. Sure, they have room for improvement but overall they are just such a great PAIR, two skating as one.

Although I certainly agree with you on their best attributes (especially the last part, where I personally think only Sui/Han are better in this regard among the active pairs), it appears that IJS pairs judging is more fixated on speed, height and power than the finesse and finish/polish of S/B.

I suspect after Pyeongchang, they may have to adopt a "higher/faster/stronger" approach to avoid being perceived of as an afterthought (which would be a shame, but alas, IJS pairs judging).

~tapdancer~

Although I certainly agree with you on their best attributes (especially the last part, where I personally think only Sui/Han are better in this regard among the active pairs), it appears that IJS pairs judging is more fixated on speed, height and power than the finesse and finish/polish of S/B.

I suspect after Pyeongchang, they may have to adopt a "higher/faster/stronger" approach to avoid being perceived of as an afterthought (which would be a shame, but alas, IJS pairs judging).
Yes, I agree. Certainly it's a regression from the old days of pair skating where finesse and polish and unison was more valued. The Protopopovs and Tai and Randy were great examples of that. And I am all for speed and power but I think unison and connection should count for more.

~tapdancer~

I have loved both their programs since the start and the way they skated that FS was awesome! I love skating teams that connect on the ice (certainly not all teams possess this) and they not only connect but then their elements are amazing and you have a program that you can't take your eyes off of. Like I said before, I'm all in for them and can't wait to see them as senior champions which I know is in their future! I hope they have a blast at the Olympics!!

Debrah

That is the FS I've been waiting for, knew it was in them, just had to wait while the injuries healed. They have so much potential and they are already on right track for higher, faster, stronger. What I love about them is how balanced this partnership is, I used to watch her the most, but lately I have found myself watching him, more and more as well. Charlie is turning into an AMAZING pairs partner. They have wonderful performance quality and true chemistry. Just adore them. Go team! Montreal worlds just might be even more awesome as they continue to climb the ranks...

chantilly

Loved them
They had the skate of the night.
Their dance qualities are so lovely to watch.
They definitely have the best skating skills of the top four by far.
Thrilled after a rough season they have this to move forward to Olympics.
Think they will and certainly should be a legitimate threat in the next quad.
But imagine they will need to up the technical ante.
As will all pairs.
Despite their errors I do believe D and R deserved the win based on technical, but PCS should have gone to S and B.
They also have one of the best combination spins of the top 10.

dramagrrl

Think they will and certainly should be a legitimate threat in the next quad.
But imagine they will need to up the technical ante.
As will all pairs.
Julianne and Charlie have already talked in interviews about knowing they have to up the technical elements in their programs to get to the next (World podium-worthy) level. They were working on adding SBS triple loops into their programs early last season and also were working on other technical upgrades, but were hampered by injuries for the last two seasons. Now that I have read about how much a concussion can affect skating (through Elladj Balde's story about his struggles this season and barely even being able to skate for ten minutes without being out of commission again for three days as a result! :eek:), I am even more impressed with how well they have managed to come back after multiple (at least two that are known of) concussions to Julianne and also other small injuries. I hope and pray they will be able to stay healthy and injury-free from now on so they can continue to progress and reach their full (and I think enormous) potential.

~tapdancer~

After watching their FS from Canadians (over and over!) I'm impressed by the little things in their program...you can see the ice dancer touch (Marie-France) with the small leans and turns sprinkled throughout that give the program more depth. Julianne is lovely and I am so impressed how Charlie handles her in the small lifts, like she is a delicate flower he is holding. Then they surprise you with their powerful lifts (nice speed) and unison throughout. Most of all, I love how they make eye contact all the way through. I always get the feeling they are skating together, a true pair. Such connection. It's what I look for in pair skating and I just hope they continue to improve and will be another one of the greats!

sls_ontario

I agree! They are truly developing into a special pair! LOVE MFD choreo!

Quote:

After watching their FS from Canadians (over and over!) I'm impressed by the little things in their program...you can see the ice dancer touch (Marie-France) with the small leans and turns sprinkled throughout that give the program more depth. Julianne is lovely and I am so impressed how Charlie handles her in the small lifts, like she is a delicate flower he is holding. Then they surprise you with their powerful lifts (nice speed) and unison throughout. Most of all, I love how they make eye contact all the way through. I always get the feeling they are skating together, a true pair. Such connection. It's what I look for in pair skating and I just hope they continue to improve and will be another one of the greats![/QUOTE]

jl22aries

I love this pair as well! It was really interesting seeing them live with my friend who doesn't watch figure skating, but is, I would say, a very attuned, intuitive, gifted observer. When Julianne and Charlie came on the ice for the warm up for the LP, my friend immediately fixated on them and said how this was a special pair. She noted how they are a pair with a special partnership, who skate for one another. In distinct contrast to the rest of the groups on the ice. She noted how they have warm, big hearts. I'm certainly not such so attuned, but I do think you can see so much by the way they skate their program. I was amazed that my friend noticed this in just watching them stroke around the ice.

sylvestercat

Banned Member
While I like this team what is most awesome about their qualifying for the Olympics is the legendary Josee Picard making another Games. She is truly one of the great and overlooked coaches in Canada, such a nice women, and she is the one that rose Brasseur & Eisler and others to prominence. You could see her emotion in the kiss-and-cry at Canadians how much making another Games meant to this wonderful and inspirational women.

dramagrrl

New SB in the SP! I'm sure Julianne would love to have the hand down on the throw back, but good job overall! :cheer:

There was a really cute fluff piece on Charlie and his love for his hometown during CBC's main prime time coverage.

Last edited:

mag

They did an amazing job. Julianne has always reminded me of a young Megan Duhamel in that she always looks 100% prepared. I will say that Julianne was doing her best to look like that last night, but I think with the concussions and shortened prep time she probably wasn’t, so hats off to her for not only keeping it all together but putting out such a strong performance. These two could be a real force in the next quad.

dramagrrl

I was so thrilled that I was yelling at my computer screen every time they landed an element and then I just screamed for joy in general at the end. So amazing! I am so proud! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information