The Ross Miner Cheer Thread

Fiero425

IIRC, Katrina was a beautiful skater, but she didn't have a reliable full set of triples--missing the flip and I think was struggling with just-learned lutz. She would have been technically buried at Worlds. Meissner wasn't at her best but USFS gambled that she could put something reasonably competitive out there (she did end up being the highest US ladies' finisher at 7th place, though the US ladies team with Liang and Wagner, famously couldn't manage to keep three spots for the following season). I don't think Mitchell should use Katrina as an example of wuzrobbed.

That was horrible; the USFSA having to go all the way down to Meissner to field a team because the podium was loaded with kids too young to skate internationally! It seemed like we were sitting pretty; didn't happen! Mirai's still a head-case 10 years later, but I really enjoy her skating if she can stay upright! What happened to us? Wagner's been a faux champion who got a break in 2014 making Mirai a "wuzzrobbed!" :rolleyes: :COP: :judge: :drama:

jiejie

Wagner's been a faux champion who got a break in 2014 making Mirai a "wuzzrobbed!" :rolleyes: :COP: :judge: :drama:

Yawn. Just because you repeat this myth often enough, doesn't make it true. Mirai in 2014 Nationals was the Ross of 2018 Nationals. One good performance, but not enough to offset a so-so international record of the previous couple of years. She was coachless at the time and highly undependable in intl competition. The downside potential of her performances was much greater than the upside back then. Ross is as unreliable now in intl competition as Mirai was then, though at least Ross has always had a stable, solid coaching situation.

giselle23

Yawn. Just because you repeat this myth often enough, doesn't make it true. Mirai in 2014 Nationals was the Ross of 2018 Nationals. One good performance, but not enough to offset a so-so international record of the previous couple of years. She was coachless at the time and highly undependable in intl competition. The downside potential of her performances was much greater than the upside back then. Ross is as unreliable now in intl competition as Mirai was then, though at least Ross has always had a stable, solid coaching situation.

I must be on the wrong thread. I thought this was the Ross Miner Cheer thread.

Fiero425

What about Olympic champions who have "one great skate" at the OGs? Maybe they should be subject to "body of work" review.

ITA! People forget Meissner, Hughes, and even Tara L. that have that one great performance which puts their name on the map! Their body of work was short and unimpressive compared to others! It happens! :rolleyes: :COP: :oksana1:

nimi

Not sure if this has already been posted somewhere (I haven't been following the marathon Ross thread over at the GSD) but here is his 1st interview since the Nats...
"That moment, finishing my free program, the crowd on their feet... I get chills thinking about it," said Miner. "I know I'm going to have that feeling with me for the rest of my life. And nothing can take that away."

For now, Miner says he will continue to train and coach.

But he hasn't made any decisions about whether he'll compete again.
https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...Miner-Shocked-by-Olympics-Snub-468535473.html

ETA: Oh... So he's not going to 4CC... https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/951950818185568256

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Thanks @Vagabond. @clairecloutier posted in GSD Ross Miner's recent Instagram thank you to his fans.

Cross-posting from the GSD thread:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd-ON95n-JG/

^^ Thanks for sharing that recent post by Ross @clairecloutier. I had checked Ross' Instagram in the aftermath of Nationals, but Ross likely needed time to gather his thoughts.

Ross 'Boss' Miner should have the last word, just as he had the cleanest overall performances and the most victorious moment among the men at U.S. Nationals in an Olympic year! Thank you Ross! :encore: :cheer2: :cheer:

"I just wanted to say thank you for the tremendous outpouring of support I've received. I'm disappointed with the things I couldn't control, but I am INCREDIBLY proud of how I performed under pressure. No matter what, the happiness and accomplishment I felt in the moment this picture was taken will never leave my heart. Two clean skates, two standing ovations at US championships in an Olympic year. Getting the silver medal was amazing, but damn this moment felt gold."

A gold moment and a golden career! Thank you, Ross. I will revisit your performances many times. Whenever I am feeling down, I know watching you skate will bring a huge smile to my face. :)

Fiero425

I haven't looked that hard, but who's the Alternate for the men? Did they "hose" Ross on that too and push Brown to go since he made the GP Final as an "alt.?" It would be so cool if after they got over there, Rippon would feel the guilt of his "ripoff" and pass the torch to Miner! ....NYAH; never happen! :rolleyes: :wall: :judge: :kickass: :puppet: :revenge:

Vagabond

Jason Brown is the U.S. Men's First Alternate, and Ross Miner is the Second for both the Olympics and Worlds. :blah:

Sylvia

TBD
Bonnie Ford's article on Ross (Feb. 16): http://www.espn.com/olympics/winter...8-joy-disappointment-figure-skater-ross-miner
He hasn't decided whether he'll compete next season. For now, he's juggling coaching at two rinks and undergraduate classes at Harvard Extension School. Credits-wise, he's in the equivalent of his sophomore year, studying social sciences and enjoying the classroom atmosphere after many years of home schooling. He and his father have nearly completed extensive demolition and renovations on Miner's 1890-vintage house.

Vagabond

Ross Miner at Nationals vs. the Worlds Field

1 Nathan Chen USA 321.40
2 Ross Miner USA 274.51
3 Shoma Uno JPN 273.77
4 Mikhail Kolyada RUS 272.32
11 Max Aaron USA 241.49
14 Vincent Zhou USA 235.24

:COP: :saint: :fan:

Fiero425

Ross Miner at Nationals vs. the Worlds Field

1 Nathan Chen USA 321.40
2 Ross Miner USA 274.51
3 Shoma Uno JPN 273.77
4 Mikhail Kolyada RUS 272.32
11 Max Aaron USA 241.49
14 Vincent Zhou USA 235.24

:COP::saint::fan:

Like Mirai in 2014, I wonder is Ross chewing bullets over being stepped over saving Adam from humiliation after all his "trash talking" before Nationals? I'm not saying it was a bad decision, but feelings have to be hurt when you perform well in that moment and someone else takes the spot on the World Team! :rolleyes::COP::kickass::revenge::yikes:

Last edited:

Vagabond

I strongly suspect that if Miner had been named to the Olympic Team, he would not have competed at Worlds. Nevertheless, the possibility of Ross Miner as the 2018 World Silver Medalist is quite something to contemplate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information