The Masked Dancer (Season One)

PeterG

The Masked Dancer premieres tonight on FOX at 8pm.

Craig Robinson is the host with Ken Jeong, Paula Abdul, Brian Austin Green and Ashley Tisdale serving as "panelists" (not judges). The Masked Dancer came to be through a spoof on the Ellen Degeneres show, which did comedy segments of "The Masked Dancer" after The Masked Singer was so successful.

From wikipedia:

The series will contain 10 contestants, which were announced on November 4, 12, and 25, 2020. The contestants of this series are said to have sold more than 38 million albums worldwide, 20 Emmy Awards wins, 20 Grammy nominations, 10 World Dancing titles, five New York Times Best-Selling Author titles, four Olympic gold medals, and three Broadway show appearances.

Last edited:

FiveRinger

The Masked Dancer premieres tonight on FOX at 8pm.

Craig Robinson is the host with Ken Jeong, Paula Abdul, Brian Austin Green and Ashley Tisdale serving as "panelists" (not judges). The Masked Dancer came to be through a spoof on the Ellen Degeneres show, which did comedy segments of "The Masked Dancer" after The Masked Singer was so successful.

From wikipedia:
Omg....thanks for the head’s up.....I’m so there!

PeterG

Any thoughts on who tonight's dancers might be? Some guesses:

Hammerhead - I'm thinking a gymnast. Maybe one of the Hamm brothers? His height made me think maybe it was Kevin Hart. Mark Wahlberg and Mario Lopez also came to mind, but I don't think either are that short.

Tulip - JoJo Siwa?

Cricket - No guesses. Probably an athlete from a sport I don't follow. :D

Exotic Bird - As mentioned above, 10 World Dancing titles belong to one or more of the contestants. Julianne Hough is a guess, but I think she's a better dancer than what we saw tonight (as good as it was). Although maybe the costume causes some restrictions.

Lilia A

For the most part, I'm lost. I only have two guesses, one random, one not so random.

Hammerhead - When he said "dramatic", to me it sounded exactly like John Mulaney. But that's the only thing that reminded me of him.

Tulip - This one's easy for me, as a former dance moms enthusiast. I'm guessing Mackenzie Ziegler. A dancer, a tapper (remember that now famous scene with Jojo in season 5? "I'm a tapper"), "Acrobatics class" in the intro package (how many acro solos did she do? Almost all of them), and her voice sounds just like her when she said "triple". So yeah, I'm guessing Kenzie.

mackiecat

Is anyone watching? Who do you think Cotton Candy is? A skater? Any other guesses?

BaileyCatts

Gabby Douglas. There were references to being a "Team Player", 5 gold ballons, 5 rings, other "5" references. I take the 'iced out' comment to mean she was 'frozen out' by the other girls at her first gym before she left for Chow's gym, which I seem to remember from her interviews over the years.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Gabby Douglas. There were references to being a "Team Player", 5 gold ballons, 5 rings, other "5" references. I take the 'iced out' comment to mean she was 'frozen out' by the other girls at her first gym before she left for Chow's gym, which I seem to remember from her interviews over the years.
You've convinced me!

BaileyCatts

:D There's been other clues that make me think Gabby Douglas too. Like having to move away to pursue her dream and getting so homesick she almost quit (another thing I remember about Gabby from interviews?), lots of references to '5' which I take as 'Fierce Five' and 'Final Five', her body type and movement seems like Gabby to me, references to Big Ben and British breakfast (which I take as London). But there's also other clues I can't place at all to Gabby and could apply to someone else, as could all these clues looked at differently, so I could be wrong. :lol: But I'm sticking with Gabby on this one.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Sloth!! His first routine had me laughing so hard I had tears. I think that is Matthew Morrison. My second guess would be Darren Criss, but I'm leaning more towards Matthew Morrison.

I had thought the Hammerhead was Ryan Lotche so I never woulda guessed that Vinny guy as I have no clue who he is.

I have no clue who the Zebra could be. Some sports guy maybe? :lol:

I don't know about Tulip and Exotic Bird either but I'm thinking one might be that girl from the Sia video who was on Dance Moms? I don't know her name though.

I love this show! :cheer:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
:D There's been other clues that make me think Gabby Douglas too. Like having to move away to pursue her dream and getting so homesick she almost quit (another thing I remember about Gabby from interviews?), lots of references to '5' which I take as 'Fierce Five' and 'Final Five', her body type and movement seems like Gabby to me, references to Big Ben and British breakfast (which I take as London). But there's also other clues I can't place at all to Gabby and could apply to someone else, as could all these clues looked at differently, so I could be wrong. :lol: But I'm sticking with Gabby on this one.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Sloth!! His first routine had me laughing so hard I had tears. I think that is Matthew Morrison. My second guess would be Darren Criss, but I'm leaning more towards Matthew Morrison.

I had thought the Hammerhead was Ryan Lotche so I never woulda guessed that Vinny guy as I have no clue who he is.

I have no clue who the Zebra could be. Some sports guy maybe? :lol:

I don't know about Tulip and Exotic Bird either but I'm thinking one might be that girl from the Sia video who was on Dance Moms? I don't know her name though.

I love this show! :cheer:
I'm leaning towards Lipinski or Kwan for Cotton Candy - the 5 could be a reference to her 5 World titles, but the Gabby Douglas idea is a good one too. I hadn't considered her.

I agree on Sloth being someone who is a part of the Glee universe - Matthew Morrison is the most obvious but Darren Criss is a possibility. Has Jonathon Groff been ruled out?

Hammerhead - Ryan Lochte or Michael Phelps. I lean toward Phelps.

Zebra - no idea, and so unmemorable I can't even recall who the judges panel has offered up as guesses.

Maddie Ziegler is the Dance Moms cast member who was in the Sia video and she has been one of my guesses too!

I definitely enjoy this show - on my DVR and I watch it almost as quickly as I watch Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist - which is to say, about 30 min after it's finished recording so that I can skip the commercials (love the smart ffw feature, lol).

mackiecat

i think it is MacKenzie Ziegler. one clue was about her sister taking the spotlight away from her ( or something like that)

Lilia A

Tulip is Mackenzie Ziegler. I knew it right away, although for one second I did consider that it could be Maddie. But no, it's Mackenzie. The judges guesses are ridiculous. Then again, maybe none of them saw Dance Moms so they may not know who she is.
I'm also positive that Cotton Candy is Gabby Douglas.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Tulip is Mackenzie Ziegler. I knew it right away, although for one second I did consider that it could be Maddie. But no, it's Mackenzie. The judges guesses are ridiculous. Then again, maybe none of them saw Dance Moms so they may not know who she is.
I'm also positive that Cotton Candy is Gabby Douglas.
In their defense... Dance Moms was kind of a cult show. It's one of those rainy-day, Saturday afternoon, nothing else on, oh, what's this? marathon binge watch shows that got you hooked, like crack candy. It was such great, trashy reality TV.

Lilia A

True, that's a show I loved as much as I hated. I wanted to stop watching all the time, but I couldn't. But lots people who ever watched it didn't really care much for it. Of the alumni, the only cast member most people who I know know by name is Jojo. And if I mention DM they're like "huh? she was on that show? Oh, okay". Can't blame them though, the girl is literally everywhere so it's understandable that they know her from her recent projects rather than the show.
Even Maddie, a lot of people don't know who she is unless you mention the Chandelier video. Sia video = "oh yes, I remember that girl and the video". DM = "oh I think I remember something about that"
Ah well, the show's over for good. At least the ALDC era is. I'm happy and sad at the same time lol.

Lilia A

Speaking of DWTS.... I think I know who the Sloth is ;)
Starts with M and ends with aks.

BaileyCatts

I was just reading an article that had the clues in it and that last round of clues made me go do'op! I can't believe I missed those big clues that clearly do point to the aforementioned "M"! I'm changing my pick for the Sloth to him too. :D

Cotton Candy and Sloth should be the Final 2. I'm torn on who I want to win.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
One thing I don't understand about this show is how you are supposed to guess who people are when they literally can be anyone.

BaileyCatts

You have to watch the little clue packages and listen to them tell their 'story' (even though their voices are scrambled) and try to piece it together that way. But if you can't pick something up from the clues from someone you know about (that's how I got Gabby as Cotton Candy, from the clues and what I know about her story), you really won't know and it could be anyone. Like the Hammerhead was that Vinny guy. I have never heard of that guy before, so I was trying to make the clues fit someone I knew about (which is how I ended up on Ryan Locthe as my guess). But I have absolutely no clue who the Zebra is. Those clues don't help me at all and I can't place the story to any one I know about. I think its a man and he plays a sport (versus it being a singer or actor). That's all I got. :rofl:

Lilia A

Mackenzie’s viral line from dance mom was that she would stay home and eat chips. https://youtu.be/5CBokDDJ5d4
It took me a second when I saw the chip bag clue, and then I was like "ohhh right". That line is legendary.

Sloth - (some) judges starting to pick up on the fact that it's a professional dancer. We're getting somewhere.

Cotton Candy - to me it was clear it's Gabby Douglas from day 1. We know she competed in London from the first clue package. We also know she's flexible, so that really narrows it down.
The panel has mentioned Simone Biles for both CC and Tulip (they did last week). Man, they really want her to be on. Gabby and Kenzie are short, but normal sized short. Simone is teeeeeny, so it'd be obvious. Kind of like when they had to give Adrienne Bailon a giant flamingo head to throw people off on that fact that she's tiny. She said so herself.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Agree that it’s not Simone Biles. She is 4”8”/142 cm and has very defined calves.

jadingirl

i often wonder if the judges are given a bit of a script in masked singer and this show cause seriously where do they get some of these "celebrities" from and how do they know so much. There has to be some prompting since it isn't a contest with a monetary prize.

LeafOnTheWind

I do think the judges are given a list of celebrities the clues could fit and they guess based on that. I don't see how they can know so much about the lesser knowns.

vgerdes

I do think the judges are given a list of celebrities the clues could fit and they guess based on that. I don't see how they can know so much about the lesser knowns.
Either that or they are given the clues beforehand so they can research potential contestants.

PeterG

Was disappointed that Exotic Bird was voted out last night. Thought Zebra should have gone. Is that studio audience even real? Is it just the five votes on the panel who decides who goes home? I can't imagine all those people in the audience together at this time is real. Is it footage of last year's audience re-purposed for this season?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information