Tarasova/Morozov Cheer Thread

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Their new costumes are beautiful but they don't fit the theme. The old ones they have been wearing all season were perfect for that theme.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
M/E are the cutest, I hope they can show what they're capable of in the LP. But damn I am wary of getting into another Mozer pair.

I think T/M will have it a little easier staying in the top 3 since P/K kind of got dumped into 5th in the SP. I wonder if this is M/G's year to finally win or if they're destined to be Yags and win everything internationally but can't manage Nationals.
I think M/G will win the nationals this year and follow that up with wins at Euro and the Olympics. They are on a roll and I think the stars are aligned in their favor. It began at last year's worlds.

Amy L

Their new costumes are beautiful but they don't fit the theme. The old ones they have been wearing all season were perfect for that theme.

I agree. Since their SP theme is that she's a statue coming to life, then the old ones match it. The new ones would have looked okay for the LP, however. I just wish Eteri's costuming sensibilities weren't so drab. The new dress doesn't even have sleeves but still looks like the usual dowdy Eteri girl fit.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I agree. Since their SP theme is that she's a statue coming to life, then the old ones match it. The new ones would have looked okay for the LP, however. I just wish Eteri's costuming sensibilities weren't so drab. The new dress doesn't even have sleeves but still looks like the usual dowdy Eteri girl fit.
I don't think the new costumes would be good for the LP either, because their LP theme is Reflections. He is her reflection. So they have to match well. Their current LP costumes are perfect but now I am concerned that they may change those too.

These costumes would be good if they skate this program as an exhibition. They would have been good if they were skating to Claire de lune.

Last edited:

Amy L

These costumes would be good if they skate this program as an exhibition. They would have been good if they were skating to Claire de lune.

I really liked Evgenia's Clair de Lune dress before the costume change part. I wouldn't mind seeing it again in some form as long as it stays blue and never turns into a yellow sack dress again :p

Fadeevfanboy

I think M/G will win the nationals this year and follow that up with wins at Euro and the Olympics. They are on a roll and I think the stars are aligned in their favor. It began at last year's worlds.
I mainly agree, but also think with the Games in China the judges have already reserved the gold for Sui & Han if they go clean. Not saying they wouldn't deserve it neccessarily, but I can't see them not giving it to them if they went clean, with it their being their swan song, the very narrow loss in 2018, it being in China, their popularity. Just all those factors in conjuction. I don't think they will go clean though, and if they don't any of the 4 obvious contenders could wind up winning, including T&M who I still see some positive signs from in their season thus far. M&G might be the most likely winners ATM due to their consistency and momentum, but the judges won't ever deny S&H the gold on home ice if they somehow go clean IMHO, even with their lower jump content.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I really liked Evgenia's Clair de Lune dress before the costume change part. I wouldn't mind seeing it again in some form as long as it stays blue and never turns into a yellow sack dress again :p
I didn't dislike the yellow dress. It represented Moonlight (Clairede lune), but the costume change seemed so unnecessary!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I mainly agree, but also think with the Games in China the judges have already reserved the gold for Sui & Han if they go clean. Not saying they wouldn't deserve it neccessarily, but I can't see them not giving it to them if they went clean, with it their being their swan song, the very narrow loss in 2018, it being in China, their popularity. Just all those factors in conjuction. I don't think they will go clean though, and if they don't any of the 4 obvious contenders could wind up winning, including T&M who I still see some positive signs from in their season thus far. M&G might be the most likely winners ATM due to their consistency and momentum, but the judges won't ever deny S&H the gold on home ice if they somehow go clean IMHO, even with their lower jump content.
I agree this OGM is S/H's to lose. They can win even with one mistake. It is in China and the judges will reward their BOW.

clairecloutier

So I am feeling oddly sanguine right now, despite the few mistakes and disappointing bronze at Nationals.

It's not the end. T/M still have Euros, and they can come back strong there. A good skate there, and they'll be right back in the mix for Oly gold. Maybe let the other 2 teams carry some of the weight of expectation going into the Games.

The reason I'm feeling okay for them doesn't really have to do with medals. I realized that, for me, win or lose at Russian Nationals, they have become the pair I hoped they would be when I first saw them. They are genuinely beautiful in their movement and their programs this season. I have greatly enjoyed every single program, whether it was perfect in execution or not. Vladimir finally matches Evgenia in his expression and presence on the ice. I always felt this was the key for them--that, and decent programs. And, I agree with Ted that Vladimir's lifts today were better than ever. They've been much improved all season, and today was the best yet.

In 2018, I was frustrated because they were not at the level I knew they could be. Now, they are, IMO anyway. As a fan, this makes me feel very satisfied, even if they don't win OGM. I do still want them to win OGM or Worlds, for their sake primarily, but as a fan I'll still look back on their career with satisfaction if not.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I think a good chunk of my frustration is they have become that gorgeous pair, but the mistakes and inconsistencies…

I wish there was some way to marry the consistency they had when they first became seniors to the skaters they are now.

I have no hopes or expectations for the rest of this season—my Olympic wishes and hopes are firmly pinned on my favorite ice dance team now.

It just feels like t/m need another quad to put this all together.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I think a good chunk of my frustration is they have become that gorgeous pair, but the mistakes and inconsistencies…

I wish there was some way to marry the consistency they had when they first became seniors to the skaters they are now.

I have no hopes or expectations for the rest of this season—my Olympic wishes and hopes are firmly pinned on my favorite ice dance team now.

It just feels like t/m need another quad to put this all together.
Marina was right when she was planning for 2026. Vova laughed at it but that plan may be more realistic than they suddenly becoming champions in 2022.

aka_gerbil

Marina was right when she was planning for 2026. Vova laughed at it but that plan may be more realistic than they suddenly becoming champions in 2022.
I’d love for them to have a Paul Wylie moment, but I think those are impossible now with it seeming like scores are now given not solely based on what happens in an individual event. There’s so much emphasis on momentum….

I do wonder if they’d be more consistent if they’d had any stability in coaching this quad.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
So I am feeling oddly sanguine right now, despite the few mistakes and disappointing bronze at Nationals.

It's not the end. T/M still have Euros, and they can come back strong there. A good skate there, and they'll be right back in the mix for Oly gold. Maybe let the other 2 teams carry some of the weight of expectation going into the Games.

The reason I'm feeling okay for them doesn't really have to do with medals. I realized that, for me, win or lose at Russian Nationals, they have become the pair I hoped they would be when I first saw them. They are genuinely beautiful in their movement and their programs this season. I have greatly enjoyed every single program, whether it was perfect in execution or not. Vladimir finally matches Evgenia in his expression and presence on the ice. I always felt this was the key for them--that, and decent programs. And, I agree with Ted that Vladimir's lifts today were better than ever. They've been much improved all season, and today was the best yet.

In 2018, I was frustrated because they were not at the level I knew they could be. Now, they are, IMO anyway. As a fan, this makes me feel very satisfied, even if they don't win OGM. I do still want them to win OGM or Worlds, for their sake primarily, but as a fan I'll still look back on their career with satisfaction if not.
Thank you for this. I have not watched their LP yet- partly because I was afraid to, after what happened in the SP. The other part was that I desperately wanted to get my Sleep. LOL.

In 2016 at worlds in Boston, which I attended, it was clear that they were championship material.

I think 2018 was their worst season. I won't go into all the reasons, but wrong choice of programs plagued them throughout their early years as seniors.

It was clear that they had the potential to become one of the great Russian pairs. This season's programs are a good vehicle to get there, but will they?

I think they need more time, even at their 'old' age. They need a stable environment where they can work on achieving the consistency that is lacking. When they were a young pair, they had the consistency, and they need to get it back. Their programs this year are gorgeous. I have not seen such beauty in pair skating since Elena and Anton retired. It is hard to keep my expectations of them low because of that Beauty, detail, subtlety in their presentation.

At this point all I can do is wish them luck in their upcoming competitions. It is too much talk about gold medals now, but I am relieved that they made the podium at their nationals. They should be on the European, Olympic, and world team.

Last edited:

mjb52

I think more than anything else they just need to skate clean. I know we have probably way over-analyzed their mental state here, but maybe it's the feeling that the judges want to reward them, if they would just skate clean, that is also putting pressure on them, because I think it's true.

Peepsquick

I’d love for them to have a Paul Wylie moment, but I think those are impossible now with it seeming like scores are now given not solely based on what happens in an individual event. There’s so much emphasis on momentum….

I do wonder if they’d be more consistent if they’d had any stability in coaching this quad.
yes, way too much imo, whatever the discipline!

clairecloutier

Yes, everything is easier if you can show consistency.

But I do believe that Tarasova/Morozov have enough accumulated respect from the judges that the scores will be there if they skate well. I mean, even today at Russian Nationals, my eyes popped a bit when I saw 3+ GOE on a lift.

But, they do need to sort of maintain that credibility and respect. A strong performance at Euros will do the trick IMO.

angi

My biggest fear about them is that they will end up as the most talented team to have never won an Olympic medal. Even in the packed Russian field, they are the most talented of them all, the one thing they are lacking is consistency. If they'll be able to get it together when it matters the most I'll be ecstatic but I mostly hope they will be satisfied even without one and won't end up regretting all the missed opportunities.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
My biggest fear about them is that they will end up as the most talented team to have never won an Olympic medal. Even in the packed Russian field, they are the most talented of them all, the one thing they are lacking is consistency. If they'll be able to get it together when it matters the most I'll be ecstatic but I mostly hope they will be satisfied even without one and won't end up regretting all the missed opportunities.
To put things in perspective, they have won 2 silver and 1 bronze medals at worlds. They won a GPF. They have 2 European and 3 Russian championships. They just don't have an Olympic medal (they finished 4th in 2018).

Given their talent, it is understandable that we want them to be more successful than this but they have had a fair amount of success. Yes, there were missed opportunities in 2018 and 2021, but usually we forget those if the skater has one big success, like a world or Olympic championship. It is the only thing missing. Even if they never win a major championship, they should be remembered as a very good pair.

ETA- they do have the Olympic silver in the team event, and they contributed to it by skating a great SP to Rachmaninov. They followed it up by skating it well again in the pair event.

Last edited:

aka_gerbil

I think that’s my fear too. They have the silver from the team event in 2018, but it’s not the same.

angi

I think that’s my fear too. They have the silver from the team event in 2018, but it’s not the same.
Yeah, and they won't do the team event this time given how this competition went (unless they'll skate lights out at Euros, and then maybe they'll get to do the SP but even that's unlikely).
It's just the biggest gap between potential and ability to actually delivering I've ever seen.

aka_gerbil

Yeah, and they won't do the team event this time given how this competition went (unless they'll skate lights out at Euros, and then maybe they'll get to do the SP but even that's unlikely).
It's just the biggest gap between potential and ability to actually delivering I've ever seen.
I don’t think Russia will split pairs since they’ll need to split dance now.

It’s the biggest gap I’ve ever seen too. This is a team that would be winning everything if they could only skate clean. It does seem like the judges would be willing to put them in first. The whole thing is just so frustrating to watch.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am really sick of Ted Barton, and not just for his pairs commentating.
He said after the LP- Vladimir's lifts have improved today. Actually They have been doing those three lifts in a row very well all season. They mess up a lift in the SP and suddenly Vladimir can't do lifts?

In the ladies LP he kept harping on this being Samodurova's last skate. AFAIK she has not announced retirement. She is 19. What made Ted make that statement repeatedly? Sofia really had no chance to make the Oly team, so for this season it was her last competition.

I wrote this in the FD thread - when Z/G were skating their FD, Ted kept wondering aloud what was wrong with Tiffany. The whole world knew but not Ted who was commentating. He did not do his homework. His commentating during that FD was poor, IMO.

I want to see him replaced by a competent commentator.

As far as T/M LP goes, it was not horrible but I wish Zhenya had landed the second throw. At least they made the podium.

Last edited:

Fadeevfanboy

I am really sick of Ted Barton, and not just for his pairs commentating.
He said after the LP- Vladimir's lifts have improved today. Actually They have been doing those three lifts in a row very well all season. They mess up a lift in the SP and suddenly Vladimir can't do lifts?

In the ladies LP he kept harping on this being Samodurova's last skate. AFAIK she has not announced retirement. She is 19. What made Ted make that statement repeatedly? Sofia really had no chance to make the Oly team, so for this season it was her last competition.

I wrote this in the FD thread - when Z/G were skating their FD, Ted kept wondering aloud what was wrong with Tiffany. The whole world knew but not Ted who was commentating. He did not do his homework. His commentating during that FD was poor, IMO.

I want to see him replaced by a competent commentator.

As far as T/M LP goes, it was not horrible but I wish Zhenya had landed the second throw. At least they made the podium.
He is so tired and generic. And yes it is clear he does not do homework on basic things like practices, elements being trained and kept/changed, and injuries or health problems. Maybe since he is working alone he does not feel pressure to live up to any standard, but there should be a standard of professionalism for any commentator. Even Hamilton and Bezic as ultra annoying and sickenlingly biased as they were atleast showed up polished and prepared for each competition, spoke to coaches and watched practices between competitions to get tea and info, etc..

Fadeevfanboy

I do think T&M have made some progress in their consistency and confidence this year, but here they really ran into a buzzsaw with the other 2 top Russian pairs super hungry and skating perfectly and needed to be perfect themselves to compete and win. Sadly this was not to be here for them, but I do see some positive signs and not giving up hope on them. And you want to peak at the Olympics, not at Nationals. Hopefully the other two teams did not peak here at Nationals, since I am even a bit shocked how perfectly both skated here just at Nationals, particularly B&K who have moderate consistency problems themselves. It is hard to hit your peak too many times in a season. I could see T&M peaking at the Games where they really will need to in order to even medal, and hopefully fight for the win.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I think the European championships are going to be much more important to t/m than to the other two Russian pairs. They have to deliver two clean performances there, and hopefully win. A bronze there will ensure that their fed will not put any political power behind them.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
T/M exhibition - Titanic

ETA- sorry this stopped in the middle. Will look for a better copy.

Fadeevfanboy

I think the European championships are going to be much more important to t/m than to the other two Russian pairs. They have to deliver two clean performances there, and hopefully win. A bronze there will ensure that their fed will not put any political power behind them.
I agree. 3rd at Nationals is not the end of the world, but another 3rd at Europeans would ensure they go into the Games with the least fed support and really have to skate clearly better than the others just to have any chance. That is not where they want to be for the Games.

The good news is the Russians probably won't even bother putting any politics into the ladies. They are such a universe over the others there, there is no point. And even if Kamila is the one they prefer to win, she is a universe above even her teammates, so again no work there is required, only Kamila to deliver anywhere near her potential and it is done. If S&K miss the Games, which I don't hope happens but is a real possability at this point, they won't bother putting any politics into dance either. Stepanova & Bukin medaling is a completely futile idea at this point, even with S&K possibly out. So it is possible all their politiking goes into pairs to combat Sui & Han and even Peng & Jin, and they can afford to give all 3 teams some support and backing regardless, so whichever one skates really well has a good chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information