SYTYCD 2024

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Mondays starting tonight, 4 Mar. Newish format, mostly new judging panel with JoJo Siwa along side Max Chmerkovsky and Allison Holker Boss. Comfort is part of the audition judges, so I suspect we might see her again along with other prominent alums.

As many of you already know, Nigel Lythgoe was already facing several lawsuits involving sexual assault and is no longer involved in the show. Among the accusers, Paula Abdul from both the early Idol days and and again in 2015, and, most recently, two contestants from the 2003 series All American Girl.

I’m here for the dancing, though, and it’s great to have the show back.

Last edited:

chantilly

Yay.
So happy it’s back. I’m watching that dance school show set in Australia docuseries right now and it’s great.

screech

Very DWTS judging panel! Glad to have Maks back on TV, especially now that he and Peta are unexpectedly expecting a 3rd little mouth to feed...

vgerdes

I had heard that Nigel L was in hot water... I have to say, I'm not surprised. He always gave me a mildly creepy vibe.

But I'm glad the show is going on without him. I won't miss him or Mary Murphy, in all honesty (though I will miss Twitch 😭). I'll be watching tonight.

On My Own

As many of you already know, Nigel Lythgoe was already facing several lawsuits involving sexual assault and is no longer involved in the show. Among the accusers, Paula Abdul from both the early Idol days and and again in 2015, and, most recently, two contestants from the 2003 series All American Girl.
Always thought he was creepy but. Wow.

Aceon6

First impressions…
I wonder if Roman can skate?
Ethan’s control is off the chain, but he seems really “comp kid”
Kyler chose the dreckiest cover possible of Case of You that kinda doomed his performance. Listen for it next year in Senior Men!
Dakayla (sp?) seems like she can do almost anything. Could go far.
Jin was interesting. Can she do partner work?

And I’m not really into the contemporary girls no matter how they dance. I spent too many hours watching dance competitions back in the day and angsty teenagers just want me to pull the covers over my head.

Aceon6

I thought last nights show was a bit better. I’m glad they let the hip hop/flamenco gal through to choreography. I disagree a bit about which Arizona dance major they let through as I slightly preferred the 3rd one. The only wtfwtt one for me was Kenidee. I’m guessing Max’s association with her held a lot of sway despite him recusing himself from the decision. IMO, she wasn’t all that.

BaileyCatts

Do I remember this correctly from the opening show, or did my brain make this up :p .... the show pre-selected 100 dancers via private auditions/invites thru the dance community (versus a mass 'anyone can come' audition) and these audition arounds will progress thru a choreo round, eliminations, then select a Top 10 from these 100? I don't know why I think that. Unless maybe that's correct?

Aceon6

Kenidee?? :rofl:
Yup. I’ve seen a zillion alternate spellings of that name… C instead of K, two n’s or one, ending in dy, dey, die, dee. All this creativity makes my head hurt.

vgerdes

I thought last nights show was a bit better. I’m glad they let the hip hop/flamenco gal through to choreography. I disagree a bit about which Arizona dance major they let through as I slightly preferred the 3rd one. The only wtfwtt one for me was Kenidee. I’m guessing Max’s association with her held a lot of sway despite him recusing himself from the decision. IMO, she wasn’t all that.
Well, Max did say afterwards that he thought her performance was "the low end" of what she can do. He was disappointed in it. So we may see better things from her in the future.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
This is one of my favourite shows a cant find out how to watch it in Canada?

vgerdes

This is one of my favourite shows a cant find out how to watch it in Canada?
Apparently season 18 is not available anywhere outside the U.S. due to geo restrictions. The only way you can access it is through a VPN. I don't know much about those, so I can't really give you advice beyond that.

vgerdes

Really enjoyed the auditions last night. There are some very good dancers this season. I haven't disagreed with too many of the judges' choices to go through to choreo. And this judging panel is fun. I wish they would keep Comfort and tell JoJo to stay home, in all honesty.

Aceon6

ssssoooo ... .I'm not liking this new format. :shuffle:
I liked it when each episode had more variety, but this format really allows them to compare dancers. It also exposes the influence of the choreographers on the judgement. We knew it was there before, but now it’s out there for us to see.

chantilly

I was annoyed at who they saved and who they let go.

Frankly both the hip hop guy and the ballroom guy aren’t there because they out- danced anyone.

I’m guessing they were kept for currency and back story.

All of the four bottom contemporary dancers were better than both of those guys.

Also two women eliminated!

Seriously.

I’m guessing that the format of multiple professional opportunities are somewhat the reason of saving the guy who basically just climbed a ladder and emoted anger with clenched fists for a few seconds.

As well as the guy who looks like he walked out of an Anne Rice Novel but has a great sob story/attached to a tragic current politicized war.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Both of the women would have been safe with Nigel (insert shudder emoji here).

BaileyCatts

Good gawd that was like the longest hour of my life. If the show gets picked up again for another season, they need to go back to Old School SYTYCD. I'll stick it out just because I DVR it anyway and can fast forward, but I don't even care who wins. :blah:

vgerdes

Good gawd that was like the longest hour of my life. If the show gets picked up again for another season, they need to go back to Old School SYTYCD. I'll stick it out just because I DVR it anyway and can fast forward, but I don't even care who wins. :blah:
Yeah, like I said, it's hard to get invested when everything is predetermined. The dancing itself is entertaining, but I don't really care about these dancers like I have in past seasons.

Aceon6

Agree 100%. And this from someone who goes out of her way to find any dance at all. (except anything Dance Moms)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information