Stolbova and Novoselov Cheer Thread: Morticia’s Revenge

bladesofgorey

This is a great article. I was killing time at a rink they were training at about two or three weeks into their partnership and I ended up watching them for a couple of hours. I didn't want to really post any details at the time because it was obvious they were just beginning to explore whether they'd be able to work together and it was pretty tense (not that they were frustrated with with one another, exactly, but more that they were frustrated with themselves.)

Stolbova was obviously still nursing her injury- mostly just stroking and trying out some slow footwork/transitions/arm and body movements on her own and with Morosov. Novoselov had beautiful carriage and lines, and amazing height on his jumps, but he was struggling with just a triple toe loop and kept falling and popping on it. He wasn't landing a single one (and Ksenia and sometimes Morozov kept coming over to demonstrate in a walkthrough what needed to be corrected, but he. just. could.not. land. even. one). It was pretty obvious to me his timing was just off- that he was thinking too hard, trying too hard. I was feeling really glad not to be him that day tbh.

But they also worked together adjusting how to merge their technique- on how Stolbova wanted him to place his hands on throws and they worked through a series of throw singles as well some pretty great looking throw triple salchows she landed well. I was really hoping they'd both give it time because that day it seemed pretty dicey, but they also looked like they'd be a great match if they both could keep it together, get consistent, and stay injury free. So happy this ended up working out after all!

Mad for Skating

Friendly reminder that this is the Stolbova/Novoselov cheer thread: aka the place where we talk about Ksenia and Andrei. As @Jeschke said, let’s please not fill this thread with our opinions on Zabiiako/Enbert, nicknames for James/Ciprès, or our personal disputes between posters. Ksenia and Andrei have been working their butts off for a year and a half, and the least they deserve is a thread that’s actually about them.

Interview, published today, translated by @TAHbKA in GSD: Vayetskhovskaya's interview with Stolbova

ETA that Tatiana Tarasova also spoke about Ksenia Stolbova in the first part of this translated interview in GSD: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/vaytsekhovskayas-interview-with-tat.105904/

Great interviews! I like her approach of making this a completely fresh start.

This is a great article. I was killing time at a rink they were training at about two or three weeks into their partnership and I ended up watching them for a couple of hours. I didn't want to really post any details at the time because it was obvious they were just beginning to explore whether they'd be able to work together and it was pretty tense (not that they were frustrated with with one another, exactly, but more that they were frustrated with themselves.)

Stolbova was obviously still nursing her injury- mostly just stroking and trying out some slow footwork/transitions/arm and body movements on her own and with Morosov. Novoselov had beautiful carriage and lines, and amazing height on his jumps, but he was struggling with just a triple toe loop and kept falling and popping on it. He wasn't landing a single one (and Ksenia and sometimes Morozov kept coming over to demonstrate in a walkthrough what needed to be corrected, but he. just. could.not. land. even. one). It was pretty obvious to me his timing was just off- that he was thinking too hard, trying too hard. I was feeling really glad not to be him that day tbh.

But they also worked together adjusting how to merge their technique- on how Stolbova wanted him to place his hands on throws and they worked through a series of throw singles as well some pretty great looking throw triple salchows she landed well. I was really hoping they'd both give it time because that day it seemed pretty dicey, but they also looked like they'd be a great match if they both could keep it together, get consistent, and stay injury free. So happy this ended up working out after all!

Thank you for sharing this story! Clearly they are two very hard-working athletes committed to their goal.
I’ll admit, when I first heard they were pairing up I had my doubts, but I feel confident that they have a good chance at making the national team.

Mad for Skating

Actually, the interview you linked is an interview with Ksenia. The interview I linked was an interview with Andrei.

However, @TAHbKA did in fact translate the interview I was posting, so you’re not wrong :)

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Actually, the interview you linked is an interview with Ksenia. The interview I linked was an interview with Andrei.

However, @TAHbKA did in fact translate the interview I was posting, so you’re not wrong :)

Oooops I linked the wrong translation, my bad ;)

Mad for Skating

Must. Keep. Expectations. Low.

Thanks @cholla for the update. :cheer:

I can’t wait to see them together! Even if the programs are simple and they only are doing a double twist.

I imagine they might be doing a double twist at the test skates but might add a triple in major competition. However, since a good performance at test skates could mean they get the host pick for Rostelecom Cup, they might try to show their best elements.

TAT said that the short program is excellent, and she’s a tough critic, so I think the programs must be pretty good.

Mad for Skating

On a fair note (everyone knows I want S/N to do well) TAT‘s taste is sometimes a bit questionable :D

She can be a crazy old lady sometimes, but she’s always been a huge Stolbova fan, so I trust her judgment on this one :)

Well, I trust Ksenia's taste 100% and she always had a lot of input into her programs.

I agree! TBH, I feel like she was the driving force behind her good programs in the past, not Mozer or the choreographers.

Mad for Skating

Ksenia and Andrei got the host pick spot for Rostelecom Cup. I believe this also means they get an automatic bye to Russian Nationals. Wishing them all the best!

Mad for Skating

Cross-posting here: Ksenia and Andrei have a new SP to “Rebirth”. I’m not sure why they decided to ditch the SP from test skates to “I’ll Take Care of You”, but I like the choreography in the new program and I wish them the best tomorrow! Here is the link to their practice:

alj5

Cross-posting here: Ksenia and Andrei have a new SP to “Rebirth”. I’m not sure why they decided to ditch the SP from test skates to “I’ll Take Care of You”, but I like the choreography in the new program and I wish them the best tomorrow! Here is the link to their practice:

I really like this for them. I am excited to see how it's performed all out in competition.

Amantide

Good first skating. (y)Although, I'm hoping her doubling those 3 sbs jumps isn't going to last long.
She has always been on of the few Pair skaters to be a great jumper, so Ima want that back.

About the new program. I like it but I think the other one was much better. So, I don't understand why they changed it. The problem I have with this one is the music. Not because it is bad but it is a bit similar to the LP, with that dramatic crescendo. Yes, the jazz/blues reminded me of the old program with Klimov in 2015-2016, but who cares? They are a new Pair and it suited them so well.
Instead of wasting time with a new program, better use it to perfect the elements. I thought they had 2 solid beautiful programs. Oh well, I can't wait to see the LP. I'm obsessed with that program. :love:

p.s. LOL at the CAN & USA judge scores in the PCS. Pathetic.

Amantide

I thought she did a 3T and he doubled.

Really? I thought it was the either way around, but I might be wrong. I watched it once.
I'm just a bit concerned cause I know she had some really nasty problems with her foot during 2016-2017. But since she has decided to continue skating, I presume they have dealt with whatever physical problem. It's the fan in me that worries sometimes. I really want this pair to work because they look really good together.

Mad for Skating

p.s. LOL at the CAN & USA judge scores in the PCS. Pathetic.

RIGHT? How can any competent judge look at her and give her 7s for skating skills? Tbh, I thought all the judges lowballed them on PCS, but they’re a new team and they skated first so I think that affected the scores. Hopefully they will get some momentum and work those scores up. Savchenko/Massot had to build up their scores a bit when they started out too :)

I thought she did a 3T and he doubled.

Yeah, it was Andrei who doubled. I didn’t notice it at first because I was more worried about her, but when I watched again, I saw it was him. Still, I think it was a good outing for them!

Amantide

RIGHT? How can any competent judge look at her and give her 7s for skating skills? Tbh, I thought all the judges lowballed them on PCS, but they’re a new team and they skated first so I think that affected the scores. Hopefully they will get some momentum and work those scores up. Savchenko/Massot had to build up their scores a bit when they started out too :)

Sure, I was expecting something around 8, but 7? That was bullcrap! :huh::judge:
They have room to improve some GOE's as well. The SbS spin for example was much better at test skate. Here the second turn went completely off because Ksenia was faster in the entrance with the other foot. That's just a matter of timing and with time will be fine, so I'm not worried about that at all. It is clear they left some points on things which are easy for them to improve.

Yeah, it was Andrei who doubled. I didn’t notice it at first because I was more worried about her, but when I watched again, I saw it was him.

Ah, ok. I had seen the scores first, so I knew someone, or both, had double that jump. lol But when I watched it he was fast and landed without any wobble, therefore I thought it was Ksenia. What's his rate with sbs jumps by the way? I have no clue.

Still, I think it was a good outing for them!

I'm very satisfied with their skating for now. This is their very first competition and nerves are a big factor as well. So I wasn't sure what to expect. Ima take it and fingers crossed for the free.

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

Sure, I was expecting something around 8, but 7? That was bullcrap! :huh::judge:
They have room to improve some GOE's as well. The SbS spin for example was much better at test skate. Here the second turn went completely off, but I'm not worried about that at all. It is clear they left some points on things which are easy for them to improve.

Ah, ok. I had seen the scores first, so I knew someone, or both, had double that jump. lol But when I watched it he was fast and landed without any wobble, therefore I thought it was Ksenia. What's his rate with sbs jumps by the way? I have no clue.

I'm very satisfied with their skating for now. This is their very first competition and nerves are a big factor as well. So I wasn't sure what to expect. Ima take it and fingers crossed for the free.

Yeah, there were a few points left on the table but I think they can polish things up and deliver, and the PCS will probably rise after a few competitions. TBH, I wasn’t expecting much so this was mostly a success. Andrei was pretty good at SBS jumps when he skated with Lola Esbrat, so I think he was just nervous here. It’s probably intimidating skating next to the goddess Stolbova in an arena full of Russian fans who love her :)

Amantide

Hopefully they can stay calm and focused for the free skate! It looks like she’s wearing a dark blue unitard with black lace!

unitard suits her. I love the black&white one she had in 2017 Worlds.
I would love if they could have a clean skate (I'm asking too much, I know) for purely selfish reasons. I've been watching their LP non-stop since test skate. I need a new video now, to get me going until RN.:saint: :D

Mad for Skating

unitard suits her. I love the black&white one she had in 2017 Worlds.
I would love if they could have a clean skate (I'm asking too much, I know) for purely selfish reasons. I've been watching their LP non-stop since test skate. I need a new video now, to get me going until RN.:saint: :D

Well, it wasn’t exactly a clean skate today...Andrei looked very nervous and the jumps and lifts just didn’t work. They definitely have a lot to improve before Nationals, but Rome wasn’t built in a day and I think they might be a completely different pair in 2 years or so.

But at least her unitard looked fabulous!

Amantide

But at least her unitard looked fabulous!

Well, that's something. :lol:

Haven't seen the performance yet, but I checked the protocols. I saw even a botched lift, so yeah, it looks like nothing worked today. :slinkaway Oh well, better next time. Patience and time, that's what they need. I still don't understand why they changed the SP though. But I hope they will keep the LP for next season as well. They will most probably not go to Euros and Worlds, and this is a beautiful program when skated clean and it deserves to be seen at its full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information