Skates

dhskatefan

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on skates. I grew up competing in freestyle, figures, and dance. I kept skating a bit after college, but now (many years later), the skates I bought after college (and before having 2 kids) HURT like the dickens. My son wants to learn to skate, but wearing my old skates really makes me want to cry. So, the upshot is, I'm looking for a pair of skates that I can buy to wear for public skating and maybe a little bit of dancing (I dream of finishing my dance tests one day). Obviously, I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I also can't fathom using rentals every time we go to the rink.

TL;DR Any suggestions for recreational skates for a former figure skater turned mom?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Is there a skate shop in your area? You might get some good recommendations there, and trying on different models would help you in knowing what felt best for you.

dhskatefan

Is there a skate shop in your area? You might get some good recommendations there, and trying on different models would help you in knowing what felt best for you.
Unfortunately, there's not. Well, there is someone who sells skates from his house, but I thought it might be good to have an idea of what I'm looking for before I go, since I'm not sure how many styles of recreational skates he stocks regularly.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on skates. I grew up competing in freestyle, figures, and dance. I kept skating a bit after college, but now (many years later), the skates I bought after college (and before having 2 kids) HURT like the dickens. My son wants to learn to skate, but wearing my old skates really makes me want to cry. So, the upshot is, I'm looking for a pair of skates that I can buy to wear for public skating and maybe a little bit of dancing (I dream of finishing my dance tests one day). Obviously, I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I also can't fathom using rentals every time we go to the rink.

TL;DR Any suggestions for recreational skates for a former figure skater turned mom?
I'd check with your rink/club and find out what people there do for skates and services. If there's a synchro team nearby, see if they have a skate swap.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Unfortunately, there's not. Well, there is someone who sells skates from his house, but I thought it might be good to have an idea of what I'm looking for before I go, since I'm not sure how many styles of recreational skates he stocks regularly.

IME a lot of what are marketed as "recreational" skates are badly made and are not worth buying - especially for someone with a skating background like yours. I know you said you aren't going to be doing competitive level skating, but it might be a sounder investment for you to look at boots/blades for lower level competitive skating rather than recreational skates.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
How much do you want to spend? You could probably get a low level boot/blade for $300-$500. Don’t expect too much out of them, though, skill-wise.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
You could get a decent pair of Jacksons, the Freestyle, for $300 US or less. They'd take you through your first dances and up to your first double jumps, if you don't weigh as much as I do. ;) They're a combined boot and blade, not separate, but the blade can be taken off and remounted if you need it adjusted. They're heat moldable, which you absolutely want to do, as it cuts way down on break in time and the skates fit a lot better.

If all you really want to do is go to public skates and stroke around, do some basic jumps, you can go down to a Jackson Ultima. That'd be about $130 or less.

Depending on what's up with your feet v. your old skates, it could be possible to have your old skates stretched out. But that really depends on how much your feet have changed.

I do strongly recommend that you find out who the good skate pro is near you, and make an appointment to see them for a discussion and fitting. The coaches and the Skating School Director at the rink near you should know who the good pros are in your region.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat, pregnancy completely changed my feet! I don't have anywhere locally to buy skates either, but the skate shop I used to always go to has used skates, so I just emailed some measurements and a tracing of my foot and they had some options. I can't wait to get back on the ice!

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Where are you located? US, UK, Europe? Which region? People may be able to recommend somewhere not too far away, or a decent online source.

livetoskate

Since you grew up skating and competing, the cheaper stock boots with blades already attached are going to be a big step down from what you're used to. I agree that you could try stretching your boots; Jackson has reasonably priced, good quality stock boots and the heat moldable feature is awesome. After 2 kids, I barely skate anymore but was relieved to be able to lace up my 12+year old custom Klingbeils. The first time I put them on after child #2, it was terrible because the skates were so tight and painful, but I lost a little weight and they're ok now. Hope you enjoy your return to skating!

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I'm feeling really lucky that my custom Harlicks still fit perfect after pregnancy. Maybe it's because I got them measure after one kid and my feet had already changed?

What are your old uncomfortable skates? And are they sized wrong, or do you think the last doesn't work good for your foot now? That might help with recommendations as well.

dhskatefan

Thanks all! I'm in Utah, relatively close to Salt Lake City. There's got to be someone there that might be helpful... I would hope. I will have to ask around.

My old skates are custom Klingbeils. I had Risport before that and had such a bad experience with pain in those, that I thought, "The last pair of skates I buy will be customs!" Little did I realize how much weight I'd gain during pregnancy and how much my feet would change. If there is a good skate tech here, I will definitely ask to see if there's anything they can do to help.

It's just so hard... I'd love to put more time in and get back into skating, but I don't know how realistic that is right now. Sinking hundreds of dollars into skates that I may not use to really skate is tough. On the other hand, if I don't get at least passable quality skates, the likelihood of getting back into real skating decreases too. Adulting is so hard! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information