Skaters and warm up jackets

skateboy

Just curious...

I've noticed that most competitors wear jackets for the first 2 or 3 minutes of their warm ups, then remove them.

So, why do they start off with the jackets?

Is it because of sponsors? (Not all skaters have sponsors.) Is it because they are cold? Or, is it just some tradition that serves no real purpose?

Thanks in advance, I've always wondered.

Willin

Because it's really cold out there! After a couple of minutes of warming up, you're warm enough to not need the jacket.

It also depends on coaches preference. Some coaches don't want skaters to wear their warm up jackets at all (mine), others only force warm-up jacketlessness if you're the first to skate in your group, and other coaches don't care at all. Some skaters also have such a well established or determined plan for the warm-up that they know "I'm going to do this many laps around/warm up moves/minutes/etc. and then I'll take off my jacket." But I'd bet the majority is just when the skater feels warm.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Literally warming up. Once you start skating, you also have to deal with the wind that you generate. It usually comes off after a couple of minutes, as Willin said.

I have mesh sleeves on my dress this year, and believe me, I noticed the difference. I need to have that jacket or I get really cold.

S

SmallFairy

Definitely what everybody says. I don't compete yet, but at practices it's the same, the rinks are cold, some worse than others. Then during practice, we undress;) I couldn't imagine my coach not letting me wear my jacket for a warm up though. Why is that? Keeping muscles warm should be first priority.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Just echoing to say it's for warmup. Not just for on the ice, but to retain the warmth from the warm-up exercises that were done off-ice, too. Cold muscles and colder rinks are a bad combo that contribute to poor performance. I was always taught to keep my core muscles as warm as possible prior to a competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information