Skate recommendations

The Accordion

Hi all!

I am contemplating getting new skates but I bought my last pair nearly 20 years ago so I don’t know what the best brands / types are these days.

I skate 1-2 times a week and I am working on my Gold dances mostly. I do some free skating as well and am contemplating doing Interpretive programs.

I grew up in Wifas and my current skates are Riedell.

Thanks for any advice!

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
What model are your 20 year old Reidells? Do you remember? Were they heat-moldable back then, or no?

Do you have a good skate shop near you at all?

The brands I see most commonly on people in the US right now are Edea and Jackson. Jacksons used to be mainly seen as rec skates in the US, back long ago, but they've really come up since then. Reidell is still a player, as is Harlick and some others. The skate that works best for you, of course, isn't necessarily the brand that's most popular right now. For example, mine are Harlicks, and everyone else I know, including my kid, seems to wear Jacksons. :lol: Some of the younger skaters/lighter skaters at my rinks wear Edea. Tons of Jacksons, even on elite skaters where I am (could be a regional thing). I see some Reidell. Some Risport on some coaches, some Jacksons on coaches, some Harlick, one coach wears SP-Teri. I haven't seen any of my fellow coaches wearing Edea where I live, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Gam skates are very popular with adult skaters in my area. But as others have said, try on different boots and see what works best for you.

livetoskate

My coach loved her new Edeas although she said it took a little time to get used to the higher heel. I'm still wearing my ancient custom Klingbeils (they went out of business). Isn't Riedell still in business? It seems like everyone has their own favorite brand. Hope you can find the right one for you!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm still wearing my ancient custom Klingbeils (they went out of business).
I have a pair of theirs too. Since I rarely skate anymore, I guess I will have them forever!

Didn't SP-Teri go out of business? (Looked it up: Yes.) They are/were popular in my area because they were local. You could go in a million* times to get your boots adjusted until they were correct.

*Slight exaggeration.

soogar

I have a pair of theirs too. Since I rarely skate anymore, I guess I will have them forever!

Didn't SP-Teri go out of business? (Looked it up: Yes.) They are/were popular in my area because they were local. You could go in a million* times to get your boots adjusted until they were correct.

*Slight exaggeration.
Did they go out of business? There is a website that looks like it is current:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Maybe they sold it. They went out of business here in the Bay Area (where they started) a while ago.

ETA yeah on their website they say that George Spiteri is a consultant now and Bill Fauver is the president. So Bill took over and moved them to TN it looks like.

livetoskate

One reason my Klingbeils have lasted so long (besides the fact that I took chunks of time off from skating) is because Will from Avanta put in new tongues. I think he was the one who got in the conflict with Karen, but I found him very nice & easy to work with. It is sad to hear of skating companies going out of business. E.g. Skater's Paradise in Alexandria, Virginia went out of business over 5 years ago, & a skate shop near me in NC also closed within the last year.

Debbie S

One reason my Klingbeils have lasted so long (besides the fact that I took chunks of time off from skating) is because Will from Avanta put in new tongues. I think he was the one who got in the conflict with Karen, but I found him very nice & easy to work with. It is sad to hear of skating companies going out of business. E.g. Skater's Paradise in Alexandria, Virginia went out of business over 5 years ago, & a skate shop near me in NC also closed within the last year.
Did you get the new tongues recently? Do you remember how much you paid? I inquired about new tongues for my Klingbreils about 6 years ago and was told $200 (lambswool), which was a lot more than Klingbeil charged.

I've had my Klingbeils since 2006, but I've stopped skating, so yeah, I'll have them forever, for the times I might want to step on the ice at special events.

Skater's Paradise didn't go out of business; Mike moved to Waldorf, MD in 2005 - he and his wife moved to the area for their retirement - and worked out of the rink there until about 2 years ago (just before YKW) and he is now officially retired. It is definitely a loss for the area skating community. I don't know where people go now....I know he would recommend the guy at Fairfax whenever he wasn't available, but I've never been there.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
I have a pair of Klingbeils from 1991 (made by Bill!) that still fit me. They're in decent shape, but it is good to know Avanta does recrafting. I currently skate in Jacksons because they felt the most Klingbeil-y to me, but I'm not wild about the heel heights and overall look of the boots over the past couple of years, so Avanta is on my list.

[ETA: Yes I know you can request different heels for the Jacksons, but every time I have asked for the older heel they are always "out of stock" (which doesn't make any sense).]

livetoskate

Did you get the new tongues recently? Do you remember how much you paid? I inquired about new tongues for my Klingbreils about 6 years ago and was told $200 (lambswool), which was a lot more than Klingbeil charged.

I've had my Klingbeils since 2006, but I've stopped skating, so yeah, I'll have them forever, for the times I might want to step on the ice at special events.

Skater's Paradise didn't go out of business; Mike moved to Waldorf, MD in 2005 - he and his wife moved to the area for their retirement - and worked out of the rink there until about 2 years ago (just before YKW) and he is now officially retired. It is definitely a loss for the area skating community. I don't know where people go now....I know he would recommend the guy at Fairfax whenever he wasn't available, but I've never been there.
Thanks for the info about Skater's Paradise. When I lived in Northern Virginia, I would go there for sharpenings & also bought my Jackson heat moldable skates there ages ago.

Why did you quit skating? I hope you didn't get injured. Getting the new tongues was about $200, maybe 2 years ago. It was so worth it because the old ones were so worn out by the laces, & the inner spongy material was partially torn & disintegrating.

Debbie S

Why did you quit skating? I hope you didn't get injured.
No, not injured, just reached a point where I wasn't enjoying it as much as I used to. I kind of reached my ceiling in terms of skill level. I still have my skates so i can always go back, and skate here and there if I want but now, with YKW, I definitely don't want to. Plus, my home rink is closed for reno (supposed to open soon), the other area rinks don't have evening sessions, and I'm having some issues with my knees, unrelated to skating. So I guess I'm staying retired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information