Skate Canada Announces 2022-2023 National Team

danafan

Canadian ladies über

Top three from 2022 nationals plus those with grand prix assignments this year. There are 9 ice dance teams on the national team this year!

MEN

Keegan Messing, 30, Girdwood, Alaska, USA
Roman Sadovsky, 23, Vaughn, Ont.
Wesley Chiu, 17, Richmond, B.C.
Corey Circelli, 20, Toronto, Ont.
Conrad Orzel, 21, Woodbridge, Ont.
Stephen Gogolev, 17, Toronto, Ont.

WOMEN

Madeline Schizas, 18, Oakville, Ont.
Gabrielle Daleman, 24, Newmarket, Ont.
Alison Schumacher, 19, Tecumseh, Ont.

PAIR

Evelyn Walsh, 21, London, Ont. & Trennt Michaud, 25, Trenton, Ont.
Deanna Stellato, 39, Chicago, Illinois, USA & Maxime Deschamps, 30, Vaudreuil-Dorion, Que.
Lori-Ann Matte, 22, Lévis, Que. & Thierry Ferland, 23, Lévis, Que.
Brooke Mcintosh, 17, Toronto, Ont. & Benjamin Mimar, 21, Terrebonne, Que.

ICE DANCE

Piper Gilles, 30, Toronto, Ont. & Paul Poirier, 30, Unionville, Ont.
Laurence Fournier Beaudry, 29, Montreal, Que. & Nikolaj Soerensen, 33, Montreal, Que.
Marjorie Lajoie, 21, Boucherville, Que. & Zachary Lagha, 23, Saint-Hubert, Que.
Carolane Soucisse, 27, Chateauguay, Que. & Shane Firus, 28, North Vancouver, B.C.
Marie-Jade Lauriault, 25, Ste-Anne-des-Plaines, Que. & Romain Le Gac, 27, Nogent-sur-Marne, France
Haley Sales, 26, Kelowna, B.C. & Nikolas Wamsteeker, 26, Langley, B.C.
Alicia Fabbri, 19, Terrebonne, Que. & Paul Ayer, 24, Brossard, Que.
Molly Lanaghan, 23, Doncaster, UK & Dmitre Razgulajevs, 25, Ajax, Ont.
Miku Makita, 19, Annmore, B.C. & Tyler Gunara, 20, Burnaby, B.C

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Very minor point, but isn't Deanna Stellato using her full surname (Stellato-Dudek)? I thought I saw her listed as that in her most recent competitions.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Very minor point, but isn't Deanna Stellato using her full surname (Stellato-Dudek)? I thought I saw her listed as that in her most recent competitions.
She doesn’t on her Instagram.

Colleen

I'm always excited to see the new names at the beginning of a quadrennial ... kind of sad to see how small a group for women and pairs. Great opportunity for someone to step up in a big way though!

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Somehow I thought there was a limit of 5 teams in the past. Was there in fact no limit? Or is this something that has changed?
They used to name the top 5 in each discipline from Canadian Championships. I think 2018 was the last time they did that. Then it was medalist at nationals and/or senior grand prix assignment. But even when it was top 5, there were always skaters/teams outside the top 5 who got international assignments, even senior grand prixs, based on previous international results. The commentators on TSN/CTV always made a big deal about making the top 5 and therefore the national team.

NINE dance teams? That is bizarre. But great for the younger teams getting some love!
It's amazing how much depth their is in ice dance in Canada! I wonder if this is a record - to have 9 different teams on the senior grand prix.

There is a TBD for pairs at Skate Canada International so I wonder if another team will be added. Though Pineault was never added after the fact the years she was added to SCI after the fact. Pineault is an example of a skater who was never named to the national team despite competing internationally on a regular basis and even being named to the 2020 world team.

Dobre

Appreciate those dance teams while they're there. There are a lot of teams at an approximately similar level just outside the top 3. First they learned there would only be two berths at Worlds. Now Gilles & Poirier are staying in, probably with the Montreal Worlds as a target; but one never knows as once you're two years in, it's only 2 more until the Olympics. Anyway, odds of making 4CCs are down. On the plus side, the GP suddenly has way more room for dancers and that means these athletes will get to compete at a higher level, possibly earn more world standing points, and gain experience. The odds of Canada earning that third berth for its home Worlds also go up. And you've got to figure those teams will all get Challengers, as it would look pretty bad not sending them when they've earned GPs. (Think they all did well enough last season to at least earn a Challenger anyway, but it's a nice step up from many years when SC would not dig that deeply into the field for CS assignments).

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
It may also be a way of encouraging younger teams to stay in while Gilles and Poirier are still competing, as opposed to what happened when Virtue and Moir came back. Not criticizing Virtue and Moir for what they decided to do, just that it did result in some other teams deciding it was unrealistic for them to stick around for the next couple of years.

puglover

I keep predicting my losing interest in skating as favourites retire and then I see a new list and get all reinvested again. Canadian skaters are sort of the dark horses now and I want all these skaters to know they have a fan in me. I especially would love to see a strong year for Marjorie and Zach. They have that speed and on the edge of your seat appeal that i really love. I think their material is crucial - they can handle stuff others can't but it still has to stay our of the weeds, if that makes any sense.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
There are 7 ISU Challenger events on the international assignments page and I think Skate Canada did a better job of using these events in the last season or two, with non grand prix teams like Fabbri/Ayer and Lanaghan/Razgulajevs getting two assignments last season. I'm sure everyone on the national team will get at least one senior international in addition their senior grand prix events.

Sk8mom123

Looking forward to also watching the Synchro Teams!! Glad they will be included in Nationals this year with everyone else. I'm amazed how hard these teams work and train. I think it's underrated as a discipline!!

nuage

There is a TBD for pairs at Skate Canada International so I wonder if another team will be added. Though Pineault was never added after the fact the years she was added to SCI after the fact. Pineault is an example of a skater who was never named to the national team despite competing internationally on a regular basis and even being named to the 2020 world team.
Has anyone heard from Summer HOMICK / Marty HAUBRICH?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Has anyone heard from Summer HOMICK / Marty HAUBRICH?
Yes they were provisionally named to the jr world team but did not get their TES minimums. They aren't on the next gen team - has he aged out of junior? Are they still skating together?

Sylvia

TBD
Yes they were provisionally named to the jr world team but did not get their TES minimums. They aren't on the next gen team - has he aged out of junior? Are they still skating together?
Yes (Haubrich turned 21 in April according to @kalamalka) and Homick/Haubrich attended Skate Ontario's High Performance Camp in June (a short clip of them talking is linked in this post in the CAN Pairs news thread): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2022–23-canadian-pairs-news-and-updates.109757/#post-6272969

Last edited:

barbarafan

Are we sure that’s enough dance teams?
Everyone they named are making the scores internationally to do well. Two teams which skated for other countries were added in last few years....and the word was out that Piper and Paul were going to retire so some team who thought they would make team would have been disappointed. I think they are doing what is fair. Time to get get PPL who have great fundraising ideas on board at Skate Canada to get money in the pot so they can go to senior B's as well. There are very good up and coming dancers not on team that will need the B's for the experience.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Everyone they named are making the scores internationally to do well. Two teams which skated for other countries were added in last few years....and the word was out that Piper and Paul were going to retire so some team who thought they would make team would have been disappointed. I think they are doing what is fair. Time to get get PPL who have great fundraising ideas on board at Skate Canada to get money in the pot so they can go to senior B's as well. There are very good up and coming dancers not on team that will need the B's for the experience.
Exactly which dancers who are competing senior this coming season didn't get named who you think should have? My understanding is that the National Team is for senior skaters while junior skaters are named to the NextGen Team.

Every single team in the SB Top 75 got a GP, plus Makita/Gunara who are ranked SB 80. The only teams in the SB 75 who weren't named to the National Team are D'Alessandro/Waddell (split) and Bashynska/Beaumont (staying junior). The next highest ranked team are Robinson/Portz, who rank 106 and were on the JGP last season. The teams below them all earned their scores on the JGP - Goodstadt/Barsoum 110, Yu/Giang 112, Ben Khelifa/Zhu 115, and Nguyen/Rouche 130.

The Observer

I'm surprised that some people thought that Piper & Paul were going to retire because they never said they were retiring. They said in their CBC interview after Worlds that they were keeping their options open. It was always possible that they would keep open the possibility of skating until 2024 Worlds in Canada.

Sylvia

TBD
I don't know how accurate this is but someone tweeted a list of participants for the high performance camp
I believe that "someone" is part of the AnythingGOE team that receives media alert emails from Skate Canada. She also tweeted today that Fournier Beaudry/Soerensen are no longer listed among the High Performance Camp participants.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information