Scott Moir named head coach of Ice Academy of Montreal's second campus in Southwestern Ontario

Sylvia

TBD
Announced today on the Ice Academy of Montreal's FB page and Instagram account: https://www.facebook.com/iceacademyofmontreal/photos/a.333370183791249/1170756783385914
Excerpts:
As of today - February 3rd, 2021- the Ice Academy of Montréal is operating a second campus. Scott Moir has been appointed Head Coach and Managing Director and together with his team he is coaching Ice Dancers in Southwestern Ontario. This new venture is enabling I.AM to expand its horizon and host more passionate Skaters under the I.AM umbrella.
Programming at I.AM’s second location includes full-time instruction and, hopefully soon, short seminars, with strong connection to community programming. Integral to programming delivery will be the sharing and collaboration between the two I.AM campuses on all levels - coaching, choreography and other instructional resources.
About his new career as a coach Scott says: “I have always been extremely passionate about figure skating… Now that my competitive career is done, I am looking forward to giving young local, Canadian and, hopefully soon, international skaters, the opportunity to reach their potential at a World-class skating academy. As a coach, I am committed to not only developing well-rounded athletes but also good human beings. For some, sport is just a short chapter of their lives so I am excited to help athletes develop many life skills that they can take with them on their next chapter.”
Video announcement (20+ mins.): https://www.facebook.com/326874437774157/videos/867145297440755

Jamal Othman also had an IG Live chat with Scott before the official announcement: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CK2PQQQp1gX/

ETA link to the I.AM, ONTARIO section of the website: https://www.iceacademyofmontreal.com/ontario

Last edited:

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
e-mail announcements were also sent out, presumably to those who had signed up for their live event.

Khaleesi

I watched the Live for this but I’m a bit confused. It seems like the Moir family’s club, ISC, but with IAM’s name slapped on? Is the new rink going to be ISC? I don’t mean to sound negative but with 95% of the coaching staff all Moirs this seems nepotic.

dramagrrl

Yes, right now it does seem like the Moir family rink with IAM's name on it, as I believe only two coaches listed are not Moirs or relatives of Moirs (Justin Trojek and John Briscoe). However, I would hope that this is just the beginning and that they will continue to add more non-Moir coaching staff as the school begins to get students and establishes its programming and reputation.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Yes, right now it does seem like the Moir family rink with IAM's name on it, as I believe only two coaches listed are not Moirs or relatives of Moirs (Justin Trojek and John Briscoe). However, I would hope that this is just the beginning and that they will continue to add more non-Moir coaching staff as the school begins to get students and establishes its programming and reputation.
I think Scott pretty much said that as well, at least that is what I understood :)
Will be interesting to see them grow and nice to see how inspired he was with his coaching team in Montreal. They seem to have built something very special there for their athletes. If I had a kid skating I would want a team like that.

sap5

Sorry, can someone direct me to where it states the location of the school?
You mean like an exact address? Nothing has been given other than "Southwestern Ontario," which is the Facebook link in the first post.

Reactions: fan

mackiecat

You mean like an exact address? Nothing has been given other than "Southwestern Ontario," which is the Facebook link in the first post.
Considering that the Moir’s live in Ilderton just north of London, I am assuming London area

puglover

Aren't Carol Lane and company coaching in Scarborough? Is that considered close or not?

RoseRed

Aren't Carol Lane and company coaching in Scarborough? Is that considered close or not?
It's like 2.5 hours away (probably more because Toronto traffic is terrible). Komoka/Scarboro is a bit further than Ottawa/Montreal or Ottawa/Kingston.

I guess it depends on how you're looking at it. If you're a university student, I'd say it is, because you can easily drive home to visit family on the weekends. If you're commuting that for training daily, then no, I'd say it isn't close. So it depends on the scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information