Samokhvalov's interview with Sotskova `The silver of GPF feels like a victory'

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Anatoly Samokhvalov's interview with Maria Sotskova `The silver of GPF feels like a victory' for rsport.ria.ru

AS: Maria, when you saw the final 215 points vs Osmond's 216 did you believe you might beat the Canadian skater now?
MS: I already did in France, though then it was due to a bad skate she had. But I already said once there are no unbeatable athletes, everyone is beatable. It's a question of time. Of course you have to work a lot in order to win, but that's exactly what am doing. I really want to, I thrive to win and hope one day it will happen.
Though this silver medal came as a surprise. My goals and plans did have something of the kind, of course, but till the very last moment I did not know it would happen now. The GPF placement was a nice surprise. After the skate I was sitting with my coaches in the skating lounge and was just watching the skates. I knew I would go up in my standing but not how high. After Osmond completed her skate and I saw she was behind me the coach said `that's it, you are second'. I replied `but wait, there are still 2 competitors to go'. She replied `oh, right, there are two to go'. We were so nervous we didn't even know how many skaters skated and where we would end up. After the last skater completed her programme we saw we were second. For us it was kind of a victory. For me those were the emotions I've seen in Sochi. On the TV. When Elena Buyanova and Irina Tagaeva were so happy for Adelina's victory. I was rooting for her and was crying with happiness for her.

AS: Your coach Elena Buyanova said after the GP in Canada that Osmond, unlike you, made mistakes and still won. Was it pressing on you mentally?
MS: It was a shame back in Canada. I had the best skate and my rival made some mistakes. But, I think, it didn't influence, if anything it pissed me off. I wanted to win even more - to prove everyone - the judges and the viewers and the internet commentators that I can, that am here and now. I came from Canada and started working even harder, even though there was not much time till the next competition - just a week. But in France I had an even better skate, while here in Japan - it's not an ideal skate, but not far from it.

AS: Indeed, the GPF was quite a success for you
MS: Last year I was so far from the podium and this year I was so close to the gold. My coaches and I are satisfied with my skates and this competition was the best this season.

AS: The only exception is the competition in Beijing where the skaters only did the LPs and you lost to Tursynbaeva and Radionova?
MS: Yes, that was unpleasant. But such competitions annoy me and motivate me to go on.

AS: You were annoyed to be 3 points behind Radionova?
MS: No, am not annoyed being beaten by someone. Am annoyed not winning. Losing. I was thrilled for the girls because they are all worthy and skated their programmes well, but I was annoyed with my result. I was not mad with the judges, just with myself. I was lacking something for winning.

AS: There is a point of view the main competition at the nationals for the team will be between you and Elena Radionova, who is your group mate.
MS: The odds are the same and we all compete in the same conditions. I don't think of anyone. I train every day because I have my goals. I don't care about the other competitors, I only think of myself and my journey that would lead to my goals.

AS: What do you lack that Osmond has? If you lack.
MS: Her skating is more powerful, mature. She is more confident on the ice and looks more confident. I have to learn that, I have to put more power into my skating, the elements so they would look more exact.

AS: But the power of skating is not an element as such
MS: It's all a matter of a personal taste.

AS: But the said Osmond made more mistakes than you did, if am right
MS: I don't think there is a point focusing on someone's mistakes.

AS: It's not about the taste. Say, Pluschenko said his pupil's Serafima Sakhanovich's skating is more powerful than of the 2 times World champion Medvedeva. You could agree with the coach...
MS: I guess.

AS: And yet what's the point in that power? It's something that is a potential that one has to fulfill.
MS: Every athlete has ups and downs and I wouldn't write anyone off. Any can surprise, everyone is dangerous and I should be afraid of them all. We are all very different. Some have a very soft skating, some more mature. The fast programmes suit one skater, another looks better in a slow one. But we are all equally good and will skate under the same conditions.

AS: Do you need that power on your skating?
MS: Of course.

AS: Would it not overtake all the good in Sotskova?
MS: I think I should be more powerful, it's part of the confidence. And it's what the judges expect of me. When the power will come there will be an impression am confident. The judges and the viewers like that.

AS: But you are liked for your ballet skills.
MS: Which am working on every day with the choreographer.

AS: Does the power conflict with the ballet style?
MS: That's the problem. But the way to progress is combining both. That will be a new level. The one that would make me more competitive.

AS: And now the traditional question: the Nationals will be a war?
MS: I think so. For me the Nationals is the hardest one. The competition there will be higher than in GPF. There will be 20 girls, all do the same. Any can go high and win. But I don't think of the competition and set myself to perform clean programmes, while what the others will do and how the judges will mark is none of my business. Everyone really wants to win, so the most important is to hang in there mentally. Hence it's a very hard competition for me. I look at the old photos from the nationals and my face says it all - how badly I want it and how badly I want to, it's not that it's bad... but I really want it.

AS: And yet now you smile much more during the competitions.
MS: I think I become more relaxed and calm. Every time I go on the ice I fall in love with it more and more. The coaches created a wonderful gala for me.

AS: The export Russian dance.
MS: I enjoy it so much and the practices. Hence I smile a lot.

AS: Did you have a chance to watch the junior ladies who took the whole podium here?
MS: They were training and competing right before us, so I didn't have a chance to watch live, but I did watch the videos. What can I say - great girls, they work and push the sport.

AS: Alena Kostornaya who took the JGPF silver will participate the Nationals.
MS: I thought all 3 will be there.
AS: No, the winner Alexandra Trusova will not be there.
MS: Weird. At any rate, those who will be skating in St. Petersburg will have a chance to show their top. And who knows what they are capable of.

AS: What do you think about Russia's athletes participating the Olympics under a neutral flag?
MS: I don't think about it at all. For now it's not really about the figure skaters because we still have the nationals which will decide on the team. It's the end of the GPF and we are not over it yet. I personally don't think about it because well, whatever will be will be. It's not something we can change anyway. I just have to work hard and do my thing.

shady82

Lovely interview. Maria has improved her mental game and overall skating this year. She was the worthy winner at her GP events and one could make good arguments that she should have won the GPF too.

watchthis!!

Thank you for translating! She handles provocative questions with grace, and I hope she can combine power and ballet in the way she hopes! Wishing her all the best at Nationals.

It's very unsettling to think about who might have to stay at home with such a strong field of ladies competing against one another. I'll bet the top three will breathe a sigh of relief after nationals and think, "Now all I have to do is the Olympics".

ChiquitaBanana

The reporter thinks power is not an element of skating? Oh boy! Power is emphasis from the very beginning in all countries around the world...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information