Edited: Roseanne reboot - BOOTED

PeterG

So what did y'all think of the first 2 episodes?

I knew all about Roseanne (Barr and Connor) being a Trumper so I was prepared. Weird, because she was all about the Champion for the Working Class and feminism before.

I thought the two episodes were pretty decent. Agree with you about all your thoughts on the cast, especially Sara Gilbert. How happy must she be to be able to show off such developed acting chops. I'm hoping as the series proceeds that the chemistry between everyone gels a bit more.

I'm not sure on where Barr stands on Trump this far into his presidency. But she was on The View (along with Goodman and Gilbert) and said that she wanted the show to represent both sides of where Americans are today are for the show to reflect people talking through what's going on and listening to one another. All within the framework of a 22 minute sitcom, of course.

I find it hilarious that Roseanne the gazillionaire would still consider herself in touch enough with her working class background to return to this format.

Not everyone who becomes wealthy loses touch with their roots. Plus Roseanne would have hired a team of writers to best reflect the working class realities that people are going through. (Another topic that was covered on The View the other day.)

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Not everyone who becomes wealthy loses touch with their roots. Plus Roseanne would have hired a team of writers to best reflect the working class realities that people are going through. (Another topic that was covered on The View the other day.)

Actually, I think you may have just reinforced my point.

Last edited:

PeterG

Actually, I think you may have just reinforced my point.

If Roseanne had moved onto a world of private dinner parties with Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, she would have hired writers who were not in touch with working class values. If she had still remained in touch, to some extent, with her working class values, then she would have hired writers like I mentioned in my previous post.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Very true @PeterG Even one of the consulting writers is Wanda Sykes.. an out and proud married lesbian who has children and happens to be black.

And the main writer is Whitney Cummings (Chelsea Handler, Two Broke Girls)... a liberal Democrat.

I saw a lot of Whitney's style and writing in a lot of the Roseanne / Jackie dialogue. (Harris / Darlene and then Roseanne asking God for money. LOL. And then Jackie ended up voting for Jill Stein.....LOL...... That had Whitney Cummings all over it.)

Last edited:

snoopy

There has been some conservative commentary discussing the tension this show brings for conservatives - because Roseanne is an economic trump supporter but not a cultural conservative - thus supporting gay marriage, trans folks, etc. could be interesting to see how this plays out.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

At work tonight CNN had a segment that said Red States tuned in huge for Roseanne.

I stay Positive and will try to see some good.. in that if some conservatives see the character Roseanne and that she's embracing, loving and accepting of her gay daughter and very supportive of her gender non -conforming grandson that that could influence and change the hearts and minds of some conservatives too. You never know, but examples and living authentically is what slowly starts to change people's minds.

@snoopy your post above mine came in as I was typing this one out. You are SO RIGHT... thats what I am getting at too.......

Foolhardy Ham Lint

If Roseanne had moved onto a world of private dinner parties with Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, she would have hired writers who were not in touch with working class values. If she had still remained in touch, to some extent, with her working class values, then she would have hired writers like I mentioned in my previous post.

Again, Roseanne is not doing the work herself. Unlike her early days in stand - up when the comic and her estranged sister used to write their own material.

Today, she is a gazillionaire who hires (and fires) to create her so called 'blue collar' brand. It all feels a bit manufactured.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
^^ Dont watch

18.2 million people disagree with you.

Those 18.2 M viewers are free to do that. Still doesn’t change my own opinion though.

Just feels like a jump on the nostalgia bandwagon to me though, but I have to give credit where it’s due. Laurie Metcalf is fantastic.

Susan1

There has been some conservative commentary discussing the tension this show brings for conservatives - because Roseanne is an economic trump supporter but not a cultural conservative - thus supporting gay marriage, trans folks, etc. could be interesting to see how this plays out.
Just wondering if they mentioned how the tax plan and trying to get rid of healthcare/Medicaid/Medicare/Social Security is affecting this poor t.v. family.
Plus Roseanne would have hired a team of writers to best reflect the working class realities that people are going through.
They keep talking about how this version and the old one reflected how "real" people are. It was supposed to be a comedy. None of them were likeable. It was more like they were making fun of poor people. It was about as realistic as the Beverly Hillbillies.

Coming from a working class family (factory worker and secretary), it sure didn't reflect any situation I saw. Well, by the 90's, I had a great job and my own house anyway. And these "real folks" are still struggling after two decades? And 45 is going to make their lives better after all this time? That kind of does reflect trump voters reasoning, doesn't it? Sheesh.

And whoever said they watched it because there was nothing else better on back then, yeah. I only watched it when something else wasn't on the other two networks. I remember the Halloween shows every year. What was opposite back then? Thursday? Cheers, Night Court? Knots Landing!! What was on in the second part of the hour? Home Improvement? (Also great Halloween shows!) I don't even remember what years it was on. (I know I could look it up now, since they are talking about it so much.) I had cable and a vcr, but it's not like now, where I record the Food Network or something with one click while watching something else.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I'm super bummed that there's a need to reboot EVERYTHING these days, but this could be interesting. I don't know why anyone would be surprised about Roseanne (Barr OR Conners) being a Trump supporter. I think that's got a lot of potential for good storytelling, although I'm skeptical about whether it will go well.

How are they dealing with the 2 Beckys? Do the actresses just split the role? That would be pretty funny.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Roseanne is not reflective of real blue collar families and never was. It's tv. It's ott. The original show was funny for about two years and was ridiculous by the time it ended. I give this one to two seasons.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

And whoever said they watched it because there was nothing else better on back then, yeah. I only watched it when something else wasn't on the other two networks. I remember the Halloween shows every year. What was opposite back then? Thursday? Cheers, Night Court? Knots Landing!! What was on in the second part of the hour? Home Improvement? (Also great Halloween shows!) I don't even remember what years it was on. (I know I could look it up now, since they are talking about it so much.) I had cable and a vcr, but it's not like now, where I record the Food Network or something with one click while watching something else.

Night Court and Cheers were awesome. I loved both of those shows.

Roseanne fit the model shows like Seinfeld deliberately avoided, which was, as cast member, Julia Louis Drefus put it, 'No Hugging. No Learning."

VGThuy

So last night, after I was reading reviews for her and Glenda Jackson's new play, Broadway's first production of Edward Albee's Three Tall Women (they are raves for Metcalf and especially for Jackson), I decided to rewatch a few episodes of the show Getting On and remembered just how utterly incredible and brilliant Laurie Metcalf is as an actress and comedian. Between Getting On, Lady Bird, and A Doll's House Part 2 (which I'm happy to have seen live), I can't help but feel she's being wasted here. I know they only filmed 8 episodes so it's not that much of a commitment as say filming 24 episodes would have been, but I hope the writers truly know what they have in her because her craft has seriously evolved and gotten a thousand times better from the 1990s when Metcalf was winning all those Emmys for the show. I'm seriously not exaggerating about Metcalf's performance in Getting On.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

So last night, after I was reading reviews for her and Glenda Jackson's new play, Broadway's first production of Edward Albee's Three Tall Women (they are raves for Metcalf and especially for Jackson), I decided to rewatch a few episodes of the show Getting On and remembered just how utterly incredible and brilliant Laurie Metcalf is as an actress and comedian. Between Getting On, Lady Bird, and A Doll's House Part 2 (which I'm happy to have seen live), I can't help but feel she's being wasted here. I know they only filmed 8 episodes so it's not that much of a commitment as say filming 24 episodes would have been, but I hope the writers truly know what they have in her because her craft has seriously evolved and gotten a thousand times better from the 1990s when Metcalf was winning all those Emmys for the show. I'm seriously not exaggerating about Metcalf's performance in Getting On.

Ohhhhhhh you got to see A Dolls House 2? Peanut butter and jealous here!!!!

I remember when Metcalfe was on WWHL with Andy Cohen for that....

Metcalf is a BRILLIANT actress.. just whatever you do dont rewatch Scream 2.. she was wellll.... NOT good.

I dont think Metcalfe is being wasted on Roseanne at all.. I think she's the perfect complement as Roseanne's sister. And she has Emmys for the role!!

Susan1

Night Court and Cheers were awesome. I loved both of those shows.

Roseanne fit the model shows like Seinfeld deliberately avoided, which was, as cast member, Julia Louis Drefus put it, 'No Hugging. No Learning."

ha ha - never mind! It was on Tuesday night. I just looked it up. 1988 to 1997 - covers a lot of stuff. During that time I got divorced, had an apartment for 2-1/2 years, then a house. And from 1993 on I would have been at the rink on Tuesday nights - Kettering Adult Figure Skating Club - September through May. How did I ever see the Halloween episodes?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

ha ha - never mind! It was on Tuesday night. I just looked it up. 1988 to 1997 - covers a lot of stuff. During that time I got divorced, had an apartment for 2-1/2 years, then a house. And from 1993 on I would have been at the rink on Tuesday nights - Kettering Adult Figure Skating Club - September through May. How did I ever see the Halloween episodes?

I'm impressed. Your personal life could have been the basis for a sitcom like Rhoda or similar.

Susan1

Just curious - while I’m waiting for it to stop raining -

1988-89 8:00 Who’s the Boss (watched that) then Roseanne
89… moved to 9:00 Rosanne then Chicken Soup (don’t remember that one)
90 Rosanne then Coach (I remember watching that so I must have watched Roseanne too)
94 moved to Wednesday with Ellen
95 with The Drew Carey show (watched that)
96 back to 8:00 with Townies. I do not remember that one at all .

I didn’t even look close at all of the things that were on different networks at the same time:

http://www.classic-tv.com/features/schedules

quartz

scratching at the light
I watched and loved the first couple of seasons and then watched intermittently for the next couple, eventually losing interest. I always thought it did a pretty good job of portraying blue collar, menial labor, paycheck to paycheck life. I live in a lunch bucket, factory town, which sadly has lost much of its industry since the 2008 recession. There are many “Conners” in my town, and I spent several years in the factories and other labor jobs along side them. I will have to check out this new reboot.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I'm seriously not exaggerating about Metcalf's performance in Getting On.

A few years ago, I was on a plane to Palm Springs and ‘Getting On’ was one of the shows available. I’d never heard of it, but I watched the entire first season on the flight and I was laughing so hysterically, I’m sure the people around me were :shuffle: I’ve also dressed as Ms. Swan for Halloween in the past :lol: so Alex Borstein is the cherry on top.

Also, Metcalfe played a crazy woman in season three of Desperate Housewives and she and Felicity Huffman were so perfect in one particular episode (grocery store for those familiar). It’s probably the one that stands out most for me of the entire series.

I watched the first two episodes and was pleasantly surprised. Being from small-town Ohio, there were a lot of familiar things that really get lost for me now living on Miami Beach. Dan dresses exactly how my grandfather does, and their house really reminds me of my own grandparents’ house.

Fan123

What a great first 2 episodes! The writing was beyond my expectation, very current with issues that cover the cost of healthcare, losing jobs, gay daughter, bullying, grandson wearing skirts, blk granddaughter, son coming back from Syria, surrogacy etc. all in the first 2 episodes! Above all, it has heart. I got teary-eyed with the “weird is cool” talk between Darlene and her seemingly gay son. I agree, the show isn’t heavily pro Trump as Darlene and Aunt Jackie are a great balance.

just tuned in

What a great first 2 episodes! The writing was beyond my expectation, very current with issues that cover the cost of healthcare, losing jobs, gay daughter, bullying, grandson wearing skirts, blk granddaughter, son coming back from Syria, surrogacy etc. all in the first 2 episodes! Above all, it has heart. I got teary-eyed with the “weird is cool” talk between Darlene and her seemingly gay son. I agree, the show isn’t heavily pro Trump as Darlene and Aunt Jackie are a great balance.
The "gay daughter" part is an inside joke. The actress, Sara Gilbert, is gay; her character, Darlene, is not. That is why Darlene kept saying "not gay!" However, Jackie (not Laurie Metcalf, to my knowledge) is a gay character.

Fan123

The "gay daughter" part is an inside joke. The actress, Sara Gilbert, is gay; her character, Darlene, is not. That is why Darlene kept saying "not gay!" However, Jackie (not Laurie Metcalf, to my knowledge) is a gay character.
Ha, you're correct! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information