Re-opening rinks with social distancing

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
In my experience, there's also rinks that go by the minimum interpretation of state or local rules, and those which have gone above and beyond. For example, in NJ, according to state rules, if you're on the field of play as an athlete, you aren't required to wear a mask. So at one rink, during Learn to Skate, kids don't have to wear masks. And while most kids do, a few do not. But at another rink, the rink itself is requiring that they do. Likewise, at that first rink, they only check temperatures if a formal hockey game is happening, and then, only of people tied to hockey, while at the other rink, they check everyone. And while temp checks aren't necessarily always helpful, they can be an indicator that the rink is actually interested in having and following consistent rules.

And I tried to avoid being anywhere near the hockey teams when hockey was happening, because woah.

There's also, I've noticed, the "day/time" factor - rinks that enforce their rules on weekdays, for example, when they aren't busy (and when they tend to have their normal, daytime staff working, which may help), but which tend to let things slide on weekends when they are busier. What I found worked for me was to go to the rink I wanted to skate at during the times I'd normally skate, and observe; then decide.

spinZZ

There's also, I've noticed, the "day/time" factor - rinks that enforce their rules on weekdays, for example, when they aren't busy (and when they tend to have their normal, daytime staff working, which may help), but which tend to let things slide on weekends when they are busier. What I found worked for me was to go to the rink I wanted to skate at during the times I'd normally skate, and observe; then decide.
From a resource-limited perspective, I appreciate why this is so. But from a health-control perspective, of course, this is exactly the opposite of what is needed: that is, based on the probability of a healthy skater becoming infected by a sick skater, enforcement of protocols could be relaxed somewhat when few people are around, but needs to be stringently upheld when a lot of people are around. That's why these rinks are headed for trouble; unfortunately, they may take other rinks down with them, depending on how targetted the Governor's next response is.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
My section of Skate Canada (BC/YT) has decided that any adult skating session ("adult" being defined as 22 and older) can only have a maximum of two participants and one coach. Which effectively cancels all adult skating for the foreseeable future :mad:

Skate Canada is claiming that this is in response to a provincial health order that was issued on Dec. 28. But I looked at the order and it doesn't say anything specific about age groups - if I'm reading it correctly, it forbids all indoor team sports with more than two participants at a time. So presumably all the non-adult sessions should be cancelled as well. The order excepts "high performance athletes" but I think it would be difficult to make the case that learn-to-skate classes - which are going ahead - are for "high performance athletes".

The order is supposed to be updated on Jan. 8, but from what I've heard, most of the clubs around here have cancelled their adult sessions rather than waiting to see if the sessions can go ahead in January.

My section of Skate Canada (BC/YT) has decided that any adult skating session ("adult" being defined as 22 and older) can only have a maximum of two participants and one coach. Which effectively cancels all adult skating for the foreseeable future :mad:

Skate Canada is claiming that this is in response to a provincial health order that was issued on Dec. 28. But I looked at the order and it doesn't say anything specific about age groups - if I'm reading it correctly, it forbids all indoor team sports with more than two participants at a time. So presumably all the non-adult sessions should be cancelled as well. The order excepts "high performance athletes" but I think it would be difficult to make the case that learn-to-skate classes - which are going ahead - are for "high performance athletes".

The order is supposed to be updated on Jan. 8, but from what I've heard, most of the clubs around here have cancelled their adult sessions rather than waiting to see if the sessions can go ahead in January.
I just got an email about our sessions being cancelled :(

spinZZ

Government orders can be extremely tricky to interpret; I think often the officials drafting them don't understand them. We had the same issue here when certain "indoor team sports" were shutdown. With respect to rinks, competitive hockey games clearly fall under the category of indoor team sports. And certainly synchro skate; and likely pairs freestyle and pairs ice dance. But then, what about hockey drills, a group of figure skaters practicing separately on the same ice, or learn-to-skate classes? Do those fall under the category of "indoor team sports"? Took a lot of back-and-forth between rink directors and state officials to resolve.

Same thing happened when "indoor dining" remained closed, but "outdoor dining" was permitted. Took several iterations of executive orders to clarify what did, and what didn't, constitute "outdoor dining". Drove restaurant owners nuts.

Last edited:

vesperholly

The Washington Post reports that scientists are trying to figure out why ice hockey is being so heavily hit by *********, compared to other youth sports. They think it may be certain behaviors, yes, but also the physical environment of the rinks.

Some of the issues that may be causing ********* issues in hockey could also translate to figure skating. They mention the low temps and low humidity causing suspension of the *****, with the ***** hanging in the air for longer, plus intentionally poor ventilation (to retain the ice), all potentially coming into play in terms of infection rates.
I am no scientist, but I feel like we would have been hearing about mass outbreaks from LTS and figure skating if floating clouds of covid in rinks were causing infection?? We only hear about outbreaks caused by hockey.

NY state has banned hockey games since the rinks reopened in July, and that seems to have made a big difference. No rinks have had to shut down due to an outbreak since reopening.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@vesperholly in our area the hockey-related outbreaks (at least the ones I know about) were caused by players socializing at the rink, either in the dressing room or in the parking lot afterwards. And there was also an adult hockey team that felt the need to get on a bus and go to a tournament in another province :rolleyes: Adult figure skaters are usually a lot smarter than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information