Re-opening rinks with social distancing

Sylvia

TBD
Tweeted today: https://twitter.com/BritishIceSkate/status/1284137310465007616
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCvz5mtp7Or/?igshid=1dpdpjl1t3exz
Government Confirms Reopening of Ice Rinks in England from 1st August! I’m sure you will all agree that it was positive news to hear the Government announce today (17th July), that Ice Skating Rinks in England (confirmed) will be allowed to open from Saturday 1st August in England, albeit that his has been a difficult path to achieve. Indicative dates have been agreed for Skating Rinks to reopen in Northern Ireland from the 7th August, while Scotland and Wales await further guidance.
DCMS have reviewed and approved the Return to Rinks document published in conjunction with partners from across the ice sport sector. This outlines how rinks can safely operate with social distancing in place in line with industry guidance and making ice venues COVID secure.
At British Ice Skating we have also produced our return to training guidelines which can be found on our website at the Resource Centre - COVID Resources and Information.
We look forward to seeing you all back on the ice soon.

myhoneyhoney

Went to class today and it felt so good! Everyone wore masks the entire time and social distanced. The class had the entire surface so lots of room. I watched them clean the boards before and after class. No bags allowed. The only bad thing for me, the bathrooms are closed.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
My city just announced that "some" recreational facilities will be opened at the start of the August for registered participants only. I assume this means people who have signed up for programs, i.e. no drop-ins.

I just looked at the announcement, and it mentions the pool and the fitness centre that are in the same building as my rink - but it doesn't mention the rink. So I don't know what's happening there.

There are two rinks and the main one usually has its ice taken out in April for dryland sports like lacrosse. I don't even know if either rink has ice right now.

sk8pics

I just wrote to the guy at my rink today asking if I could get my unused tickets refunded. He’d told me that would be an option, and they would communicate with everyone when they had a better idea of when the rinks would be open. He wrote me back saying, yes, he would refund my money now rather than waiting. He told me the mail is slow at the university, but he would check weekly on my tickets; I put them in my mailbox this morning, so hopefully it won’t be too long before he gets them. It was 6 leftover tickets, so more than $70.

Maybe some day I’ll get to skate there again.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I just wrote to the guy at my rink today asking if I could get my unused tickets refunded. He’d told me that would be an option, and they would communicate with everyone when they had a better idea of when the rinks would be open. He wrote me back saying, yes, he would refund my money now rather than waiting. He told me the mail is slow at the university, but he would check weekly on my tickets; I put them in my mailbox this morning, so hopefully it won’t be too long before he gets them. It was 6 leftover tickets, so more than $70.

Maybe some day I’ll get to skate there again.

My rink is going back to freestyle sessions soon, and it looks like the sessions I still have on my card will be good - the only issue is that I will have to reserve my sessions in advance. While I miss being on the ice, with my age and health issues (well-controlled asthma and hypertension), I'm still planning to wait a while. I want to see how things go (and how the BB keeps changing in PA) before I start skating again. This is far from over; caution is my guide.

sk8pics

Yeah, @Yazmeen, I agree with you. I’m not sure when I will skate again, and figured I might as well get my money back in the meantime.

You know, only twice have I bought a book of freestyle tickets. The first time, I broke my ankle. This second time, YNW strikes. Coincidence? :lol:

antmanb

My ice rink technically is just over the border and into Wales so I don't think it will reopen on 1st August. In any event I haven't skated since July 2019 because of the problem I had with my ankle. By the time I had surgery and was recovered enough to try to brave skating the crud happened so I didn't bother.

I would like to start back up again but i'm starting to weigh up the money it costs, not just ice time and lessons but the petrol for the journey there and back etc

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
My ice rink technically is just over the border and into Wales so I don't think it will reopen on 1st August. In any event I haven't skated since July 2019 because of the problem I had with my ankle. By the time I had surgery and was recovered enough to try to brave skating the crud happened so I didn't bother.

I would like to start back up again but i'm starting to weigh up the money it costs, not just ice time and lessons but the petrol for the journey there and back etc

I also weighed the cost versus benefit of returning, while sitting in my car after skating on Monday. At this point, due to the crud, I'm only skating once per week, and I had to think about whether or not the costs (money, time) are worth it, or if I should save money and effort and wait to return until I can get back more often each week, or if I should perhaps quit entirely. I've decided that I'm going to continue on once per week for now, and reassess in a bit. But stopping entirely wouldn't be unreasonable. If you yourself decided to stop, would you do something else instead? It might be an opportunity to try something different.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I ended up stopping skating when I got down to only 1 time a week. It just wasn't enough to make progress and, at the time, I couldn't' afford to skate more often. And I did find another sport after that, one where I was a lot more talented so it was less frustrating. :D

sk8pics

I’ve only been skating once a week for quite awhile now. I’m okay with that. It is pure fun, and I always skate with my long time coach. But we have not skated together since March, and I’m not sure when we will again...

antmanb

I also weighed the cost versus benefit of returning, while sitting in my car after skating on Monday. At this point, due to the crud, I'm only skating once per week, and I had to think about whether or not the costs (money, time) are worth it, or if I should save money and effort and wait to return until I can get back more often each week, or if I should perhaps quit entirely. I've decided that I'm going to continue on once per week for now, and reassess in a bit. But stopping entirely wouldn't be unreasonable. If you yourself decided to stop, would you do something else instead? It might be an opportunity to try something different.

Yes these are all the thoughts that have been going through my mind. Honestly being in lockdown has made me see just how much of my week is totally scheduled and how little breathing space I get during the week. Getting back all my commute time, not sitting in traffic to get to the gym where you use it at peak times so waste a lot of time waiting for machines to be free, to skating after work (which usually means an hour and half drive there) and not getting home until 9.30/10 on the skating night, I wonder if I wouldn't mind just taking an extended break from it.

But I do love skating and while i'm absolutely rubbish at it I really enjoy the process, its the one activity I do that clears my mind entirely - nothing ever creeps in when i'm skating (not work stress or anything) so I think they benefits are there. If I could get ice time at the rink that's actually in my city that might encourage me more, and mean I get more than one session a week.

And round and round I go thinking about it :lol:

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
But I do love skating and while i'm absolutely rubbish at it I really enjoy the process, its the one activity I do that clears my mind entirely - nothing ever creeps in when i'm skating (not work stress or anything) so I think they benefits are there.
This is me as well. I'm objectively terrible at skating (no, I really am) but it's fun and while I'm skating I don't think about anything else, which is something I really need, even if it's only twice a week.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't know what your schedule is like @antmanb but I used to do my lesson at lunchtime when I was WFH or on the way to work.

antmanb

I don't know what your schedule is like @antmanb but I used to do my lesson at lunchtime when I was WFH or on the way to work.

I would definitely consider this but my work place has no showers and the only rink that would be feasible to do this has no showers either so its a non starter sadly.

Since my ankle surgery we have moved to more flexi-time (thought it's all suspended while crud is out there and working has generally changed), so there is the possibility of maybe starting my work day later or finishing early to accommodate a skating session. In the past I've not found a day that fit with my gym schedule, but that's also something that i'm thinking of changing up now as well.

Lots to think about :lol:

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
When I used to skate during the workday or before work, I brought wipes with me, dry shampoo, etc. so I could freshen up before I went to work. No rinks here have showers; it's not a thing. But luckily now, even when I have to go to my workplace, my times are far more flexible, so I can fit skating in. And now that I'm working from home at least through the fall, it's even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information