Problem with the quote function

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Lately, when I try to use the quote function on my phone, whatever I'm typing jumps up into the quote box so it looks like the whole post is a quote. Is anyone else having this problem?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I'm having problems with things jumping around a lot, though not that particularly. When I go to a post it jumps to one two back.

(On my desktop not phone)

Vagabond

I have had the same problem when I use the Ecosia app but not when I use Chrome.

Server Guy

Administrator
Staff member
Lately, when I try to use the quote function on my phone, whatever I'm typing jumps up into the quote box so it looks like the whole post is a quote. Is anyone else having this problem?
What phone and browser are you having this issue with?
I'm having problems with things jumping around a lot, though not that particularly. When I go to a post it jumps to one two back.

(On my desktop not phone)
What browser is this happening in?

LeafOnTheWind

@Server Guy

I think the problem with things jumping around is related to the issues brought up in this thread.

I am using Chrome Version 107.0.5304.107 (Official Build) (64-bit) and the embedded outside links makes the page load to old posts instead of the newest one I wanted to see.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
@Server Guy

I think the problem with things jumping around is related to the issues brought up in this thread.

I am using Chrome Version 107.0.5304.107 (Official Build) (64-bit) and the embedded outside links makes the page load to old posts instead of the newest one I wanted to see.
Also using Chrome. It used to only happen if there was a bad link on the page though. But now it happens on almost every page.

jeffisjeff

Also using Chrome. It used to only happen if there was a bad link on the page though. But now it happens on almost every page.
Same here, although I think it has to do with links the Twitter and Instagram. Every thread seems to have those links, so it seems to happen everywhere.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Same here, although I think it has to do with links the Twitter and Instagram. Every thread seems to have those links, so it seems to happen everywhere.
Oh, that makes sense. There are a lot more Twitter links these days.

Server Guy

Administrator
Staff member
Can someone post a screen recording of what happens specifically when quoting? I can’t reproduce this on my phone.

Wyliefan

Can someone post a screen recording of what happens specifically when quoting? I can’t reproduce this on my phone.
I was going to quote your tweet via my phone and reply to it, to show you how the text I type jumps into the quote box. But as I was doing it, everything jumped around so much and the quote box got so big that I couldn't even find what I was typing anymore! I'm sorry, that sounds kind of incoherent. It's hard to describe, but it's as if, while I was typing, someone pressed and held down the Return button so that the text box kept expanding and expanding and expanding. My words got pushed down all the way to the bottom of it. And then the next thing that happened was that the whole site started acting up and I had to close out of it! I'm typing this now on my desktop, where everything works fine.

Again, I'm sorry if this doesn't make any sense -- it's the best way I can describe it. I can try again later to demonstrate it for you.

Wyliefan

That's because I did it on my desktop. The problem's with my phone.

KCC

Me too. Only having the problem on my Samsung tablet. My Surface Pro doesn't have the jumping issue.

Server Guy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still not understanding the issue being described here.

Could someone please submit a screen recording of what's happening? I'm not having an issue on my phone so it's hard to troubleshoot without seeing what's happening.

Wyliefan

@Server Guy I made a recording. How can I get it to you? Shall I DM it? ETA: No wait, can't find any way to attach files in DMs. Just let me know how I can send it.

Last edited:

Server Guy

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks folks, I've received a recording of the issue and will follow it up over email with @Wyliefan.

Also, I've removed my email address from Sharpie's post but if anyone else wants to submit a recording, shoot me a private message here and I'll walk you through getting it over to me. Thanks!

antmanb

The issue I have with quoting on my phone is that if you start by editing the quote to shorten it to the relevant part you then can't start your fresh post underneath. If you try and tap you're at the bottom of the quote box then no matter how many times you hit return it just expands the quote box. If i'm on my phone i have to remember to type "asdf" straight away to have the new text ready before editing the quote. Then i have to delete the "asdf" very carefully because if i delete once more say to clear a line, the whole lot of new stuff i've written jumps into the quote box. I'm on an apple iphone SE (new generation) using safari.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information