Ottavio Cinquanta has died

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
“Grinding to the latest Madonna singles” sounds like the perfect description of Pasha. And I like her a lot and love Madonna, so I guess that can be construed as a compliment. I’m not sure…:confused:
It was complimentery. The overarching point is I easily see an alternate timeline without the Grand Prix where Grishuk/Platov turn professional after 1995, and instead of continuing to push the sport forward with their 1996-97 programs, we get more Madonna cosplay from Pasha. As much as I would have liked to see Pasha's interpretation of the Bedtime Stories era, I'm grateful they stayed Olympic-eligible through Nagano.

Last edited:

VGThuy

It was complimentary. The overarching point is I easily see an alternate timeline without the Grand Prix where Grishuk/Platov turn professional after 1995, and instead of continuing to push the sport forward with their 1996-97 programs, we get more Madonna cosplay from Pasha. As much as I would have liked to see Pasha's interpretation of the Bedtime Stories era, I'm grateful they stayed Olympic-eligible through Nagano.
I’m imagining an epic 10 mins routine that went from “Sanctuary” to “Bedtime Story” (two of her most underrated songs). But then that would require some sexual chemistry so it would have worked better with Zhulin than Platov. When she was being villainized for the whole Usova/Zhulin saga I always thought a routine to “Human Nature” was a missed opportunity. But then I also thought Maya Usova should have skated to “Thief of Hearts” from Erotica.

Yuri

My only opportunity to meet Cinquanta was an elevator ride in the official hotel next to Bercy Arena for 1997 Trophee Lalique. Of course, Oksana (newly Pasha) was the 3rd person when we got into the elevator with him. The conversation spilled into the lobby as he and Oksana were chatting away, but she did manage to introduce me to him LOL.

By the way, this was the competition where Grishuk/Platov debuted their Memorial FD with the blue hooded outfits and a nasty fall that nearly cost them gold. I am fairly certain they performed a Madonna exhibition number, probably still their fabulous You'll See routine. It's also the competition where she was on the set of Ronin and met John Frankenheimer, Robert DeNiro et al. I still remember how excited she was to sit in the Director's Chair LOL.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
By the way, this was the competition where Grishuk/Platov debuted their Memorial FD with the blue hooded outfits and a nasty fall that nearly cost them gold.
I remember that fall like it was yesterday. I would say it nearly cost him his eye more-so than the gold medal!

Yuri

Trophée Lalique 1997 -the only televised performance of the (infamous?) Foxy Lady exhibition.

Others have grinded to Madonna, but which ice dancers today will light up a cigar on ice? ;)
OMG it was Foxy Lady! That program was so awful that I had managed to erase it from my memory. Thanks a LOT! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bardtoob

I could say so many things that I will hold in reserve, but I will say I was truly entertained watching the interaction between Javier Fernandez and Ottavio Cinquanta during the medal ceremony of the Men's event at the 2015 World Championships, which was the first time Javi won.

Ottavio gave Javi a very warm look. I always imagine Ottavio intentionally muttering something loudly, in a playful grandfatherly way, like, "What is this? A Spaniard winning an ice skating competition? Do they even have ice in Spain?!?" :)

VGThuy

Speaking of podium interactions, I remember Kwan saying at 2004 Worlds, when Chinquanta was handing out the medals, he didn’t say congratulations as usual but, instead, he said to her “for your collection.” I always thought that was a nice, warm story.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
Trophée Lalique 1997 -the only televised performance of the (infamous?) Foxy Lady exhibition.

Others have grinded to Madonna, but which ice dancers today will light up a cigar on ice? ;)
My god. Nauseating, appalling, and yet still captivating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information