'Olympic Channel On Ice' (new Olympic figure skating streaming platform)

Sylvia

TBD
Are you ready, figure skating fans?
Olympic Channel has something for you – a dedicated channel for the sport, called Olympic Channel On Ice, launching on 1 December.
On it, you'll be able to re-live every figure skating session from three Olympic Winter Games and one Winter Youth Olympic Games.
Remember Evan Lysacek and Yuna Kim winning gold at Vancouver 2010? Or perhaps you're a Hanyu Yuzuru fan who wants to watch his victories from Sochi 2014 or PyeongChang 2018 over again? You'll get the chance to do so.
The Ice Dance, Men's and Ladies' singles events from Vancouver and every figure skating single routine from Sochi, PyeongChang, and the Lausanne 2020 Winter Youth Olympics, will be featured.
And keep an eye out for some classic performances from other Games that may be shown, too.
The new dedicated figure skating channel will stream on the Olympic Channel website (ETA) at this link:

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
So, the same of what has been repeated quite a few times on Olympic Channel telecasts the last few seasons.

Seeing how many times they want to shove Cup of China down our throats (it's probably been re-aired about 8 times at this point), I wish they would get the rights to some other historical competitions that really haven't seen the light of day since their original telecasts, much like Retro Ice Time did. I get that it's the Olympic Channel, but they also have shown Grand Prix events for several years now.

tony

I wish they’d dig waaaay back in the vault and air competitions from 25-30 years ago. CBS has the 92, 94, and 98 Olympics, but NBC had the rights to worlds for quite awhile in the early 90’s.
Yes, still dreaming of the day that we get full footage of some events that have never aired all skaters anywhere in the world. Even many of the Grand Prix events until 2004 or so didn't really show anyone besides the top 3 or 4. Many times Eurosport would join the major events in progress, with the first group or two already done, etc. I know the TV rights are different than ISU rights, but the camera had to be recording for all of these.

Marco

Now showing the 2018 Games men's event. Haven't watched Yuzuru's free skate in a while (or since the event). Better than I remembered it. Commentator is Belinda Trussel from Australia. Love her.

And now the 2014 men's short program.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I wish they’d dig waaaay back in the vault and air competitions from 25-30 years ago. CBS has the 92, 94, and 98 Olympics, but NBC had the rights to worlds for quite awhile in the early 90’s.
I wish they’d go back to earliest Dick Button and ABC. Or even earlier to CBS’ coverage of the ‘64 Innsbruck Olympics (also Dick, if memory serves). But we have the PC Police nowadays, who might censor airing comments about “pretty girls on the ice” or “Thank heaven for little girls”...or describing Debi Thomas as being “street smart”...

Sylvia

TBD
Now showing the 2018 Games men's event. Haven't watched Yuzuru's free skate in a while (or since the event). Better than I remembered it. Commentator is Belinda Trussel from Australia.
I think you meant Belinda Noonan. :p

I don't subscribe to the Olympic Channel so I appreciate having this non-stop streaming platform.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
If it's the OLYMPIC Channel I doubt they will show anything but the Olympics, hopefully they can make an agreement with the ISU that have in their archived footage stuff from forever

It's a bit pointless they show in this 'new' option the SAME videos they have shown in the youtube channel, Vancouver, Sochi and Pyeongchang are available in the youtube olympic channel

At least there is some hope, the Youtube channel showed the FULL Ladies Free Skate from Salt Lake City, hoping they can show the rest of the disciplines someday in the 'new' olympic channel

tony

If it's the OLYMPIC Channel I doubt they will show anything but the Olympics, hopefully they can make an agreement with the ISU that have in their archived footage stuff from forever

It's a bit pointless they show in this 'new' option the SAME videos they have shown in the youtube channel, Vancouver, Sochi and Pyeongchang are available in the youtube olympic channel

At least there is some hope, the Youtube channel showed the FULL Ladies Free Skate from Salt Lake City, hoping they can show the rest of the disciplines someday in the 'new' olympic channel
The Youtube channel (or Facebook page? or both?) also showed the full ‘76 Ladies free skate, which I believe very few people had ever seen prior.

And because they do show the Grand Prix, I am 🤞🏻 about them extending to other events eventually.

I know a skating broadcast channel in the US would never, ever make it (such as tennis and golf have theirs), but a streaming/on-demand channel that is international absolutely could. Hell, charge me for that rather than bouncing from provider to provider each season to get coverage.

Marco

I think you meant Belinda Noonan. :p

I don't subscribe to the Olympic Channel so I appreciate having this non-stop streaming platform.
She was Trussell in 1998 when I first watched the sport. She was so informative. :p

Too bad the 2014 coverage did not have her commentary.

floskate

Vacant
The Youtube channel (or Facebook page? or both?) also showed the full ‘76 Ladies free skate, which I believe very few people had ever seen prior.

And because they do show the Grand Prix, I am 🤞🏻 about them extending to other events eventually.

I know a skating broadcast channel in the US would never, ever make it (such as tennis and golf have theirs), but a streaming/on-demand channel that is international absolutely could. Hell, charge me for that rather than bouncing from provider to provider each season to get coverage.
Exactly. The footage exists from way back when but never sees the light of day. This might be an opportunity to finally see some of the earlier Olympic footage or at least the complete raw feed of events from later competitions which were never aired fully. I doubt even Austrian TV as teh host network would have shown the entire ladies free in 1976.

Braulio

I discovered these videos full competition, non commentary!!! BUT unfortunately no Ice Dance replays, don't know why...

Calgary 88
Men Short Program

Men Free Program

Albertville 92
No video replay (yet)

Lillehammer 94

Ladies Technical Program

Ladies Free Program

Nagano 98

Ladies Short

Ladies Free

Men Short

Men Free Skate

Pairs Short

Pairs Free

Exhibition

Salt Lake 2002

Ladies Short

Ladies Free

Men Short Program

Men Free Program

Pairs Short

Pairs Free

Gala

Torino 2006

Pairs Short

Pairs Free

Men's Short

Men's Free

Ladies Short

Ladies Free

Exhibition

Braulio

Many of these videos were uploaded back in october! but of course they are TERRIBLE promoting and/or announcing to let us fans know about this. They were not even showcased in their facebook page.

I hope that the stuff from Albertville will get the light soon as the Ice Dance competition. Maybe we can thank them tweeting or e-mailing? and asking about the 92 games and the ice dance

Vancouver 2010 is available through the Olympic Youtube Channel

And the Sochi/Pyeongchang can be watched via the Olympic Channel App for roku, firetv

floskate

Vacant
Braulio thank you so much. I have spent almost 8 amazing hours travelling back to 1988 to watch the ENTIRE men's competition in Calgary. How wonderful to have this legendary competition in all its entirety and who knew that what I really needed most to start 2021 was to see Michael Huth's SP set to 'One' from A Chorus Line....played on a Hammond organ! :cheer:

Also nice to see the skaters who never got airtime on any of the broadcasts like the Chinese guy with triple axel and triple lutz. A lot of guys did not have those jumps back then.

Last edited:

kylet3

Thank you Braulio for posting all those! That said, does anyone know if there's a women's feed for 2010? That is missing on YouTube as well as the Short Dance from Sochi? I've been searching those for eons, but I haven't been able to find anything.

tony

Thank you Braulio for posting all those! That said, does anyone know if there's a women's feed for 2010? That is missing on YouTube as well as the Short Dance from Sochi? I've been searching those for eons, but I haven't been able to find anything.

Sylvia

TBD
Yuzuru Hanyu's SP at the Sochi Olympics (uploaded Dec. 1, 2020): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm-4PptMUlM

2020 Youth Olympic Games figure skating playlist of all event videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-292yfpAFGafYbAxHPn4J0RiZoyPzPpi
Junior Men's medalists: Yuma Kagiyama JPN, Andrei Mozalev RUS, Daniil Samsonov RUS
Junior Ladies' medalists: Young You KOR (her winning FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp4L6zihUVg ), Kseniia Sinitsyna RUS, Anna Frolova RUS
Junior Pairs' medalists: Apollinaria Panfilova/Dmitry Rylov RUS, Diana Mukhametzianova/Ilya Mironov RUS, Alina Butaeva/Luka Berulava GEO
Junior Ice Dance medalists: Irina Khavronina/Dario Cirisano RUS, Sofya Tyutyunina/Alexander Shustitskiy RUS, Katarina Wolfkostin/Jeffrey Chen USA

kylet3

OMG! Why on earth could I not locate that?! Thank You so much! This means such a great deal to me. I was in the crowd for the Ladies Free Skate, and that was history at that point at that night and was so thrilled to be a part of it. So to be able to relive it one more time is a privilege. Thank You.

tony

Braulio thank you so much. I have spent almost 8 amazing hours travelling back to 1988 to watch the ENTIRE men's competition in Calgary. How wonderful to have this legendary competition in all its entirety and who knew that what I really needed most to start 2021 was to see Michael Huth's SP set to 'One' from A Chorus Line....played on a Hammond organ! :cheer:
I'm going through the mens SP, and just saw Huth. Not at all what I was expecting from him- the music nor the jazzy/flashy style! Also, the rink announcer seemed to have snoozed his way through that one, because he said the marks in English, started in French, after 3 scores went back to English and repeated what he had just said, only to then go for a third time in all French :lol:

I don't know that Barna had ever been broadcast prior to this, and he had a fantastic program as usual.

floskate

Vacant
I'm going through the mens SP, and just saw Huth. Not at all what I was expecting from him- the music nor the jazzy/flashy style! Also, the rink announcer seemed to have snoozed his way through that one, because he said the marks in English, started in French, after 3 scores went back to English and repeated what he had just said, only to then go for a third time in all French :lol:

I don't know that Barna had ever been broadcast prior to this, and he had a fantastic program as usual.

I had seen Barna who was shown on French TV. I preferred his Mozart short at 1989 Europeans with the new rules of a solo triple and beefed up content of 3z/3t. That was such a wonderful performance. I thought Cameron Medhurst was undermarked in the short compared to Paterson, the third Canadian guy definitely. What was wonderful was watching so many skaters I had forgotten about and who we used to get to see once in a blue moon on European broadcasts like Lars Dresler, Oliver Hoener, Axel Mederic etc. Interesting how diverse everyone was although some of the music choices and edits especially in the short were quintessential 80's coughPaulWyliecough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information