New Privacy Policy

barbk

I logged in for the first time this week and was greeted with a requirement that I accept a new privacy policy before continuing.

As I worked through the opt out process for Liveramp (which seems to be one of two underlying marketing programs), I see that they require not just the email addresses I want opted out, but a mandatory physical address as well. If a group wanted to collect info for bombarding me with crap I don't want, this form would be gold.

I lied about the physical address.

I'm also unhappy that fsu would be involved with marketing, especially with paid accounts. I'd rather pay a higher fee than be the recipient of a bunch of marketing junk I don't want. It also felt very coercive to be forced to accept the policy with no opportunity to ask questions or gain a better understanding of what is going on.

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
The updated privacy policy came from our advertising provider.

barbk

Your advertising provider stinks. Now that I've made an opt-out request, I get told that there is yet another page of personal private information including physical address and phone number as required fields -- and then they have 45 days to deal with it.

Is this really an important strategy for fsu to pimp our data?

I'm disappointed.

Judy

I just logged in but didn’t get the same request to fill out personal info. I wouldn’t be comfortable with that though.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I just logged in but didn’t get the same request to fill out personal info. I wouldn’t be comfortable with that though.
You have to opt-out to get that. It's a bit ironic.

I opt-out of a lot of this stuff and the websites that don't just provide a simple choice (opt-out of x, y, and/or z) but want you to either opt-out of every single 3rd party vendor separately or ask for all this personally identifying info and say it will take days for it to take effect are super-annoying. Conde Nast does it like FSU's provider, btw. In their case, I just leave the website.

For FSU, if you are paid member and don't see ads, there's nothing to sell so I just clicked OK.

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
Hi sorry, been working all day off and on and I just checked my email for a response and here it is:

• users who don't see ads won't have data collected - I can send on a bit of copy for the PP to reflect this if needed
  • all data collected is non-PII data, ie. it cannot be used to identify or contact users
  • users who see ads have the option to Reject All or reject specific tracking from specific companies when they first go onto the site

barbk

Hi sorry, been working all day off and on and I just checked my email for a response and here it is:

• users who don't see ads won't have data collected - I can send on a bit of copy for the PP to reflect this if needed
  • all data collected is non-PII data, ie. it cannot be used to identify or contact users
  • users who see ads have the option to Reject All or reject specific tracking from specific companies when they first go onto the site
Thank you! If that note had been on the banner, I wouldn't have been concerned. (I still don't understand why an opt out should ever require my physical address and phone number.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information