Miss Universe 2019! Dec 8, 7pm EST (Fox, Telemundo In US)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Not just the Grand Prix Finals going on next weekend. It’s also Miss Universe time! :cheer2: Taking place in Atlanta this year. Prelims on Dec 6 (live streamed); finals on Dec 8 (telecast on Fox & Telemundo). Many pics of the 90 delegates can be seen on the MU Facebook site:

Who’ll take the crown this year? My early top 6, in alpha order:
CHILE 🇨🇱
CROATIA 🇭🇷 (face of the year!)
FRANCE 🇫🇷
ICELAND 🇮🇸
INDIA 🇮🇳
...and, last but not least:
my PUERTO RICO!!!! 🇵🇷

Last edited:

Jayar

I haven't been paying much attention, but most of the buzz that I hear is around Miss Albania-- she's an American with Albanian roots. She is an NCAA athlete, and her parents were athletes who competed for Albania. Miss Thailand is supposedly the frontrunner with Miss Puerto Rico and Miss Philippines close behind.

Seerek

Ireland and South Africa and Nepal are appearing on most frontrunner lists as well.

The CVs of some of the candidates at this point would lead me to believe IMG may contemplate raising the maximum age right up to 30.

Frau Muller

Link to photo of my current #1, CHILE:

Frau Muller

Croatia...the eyes!

Frau Muller

Iceland! Like Chile, a beauty with both African & Euro heritage.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

India...coming back strong this year!

Frau Muller

PUERTO RICO! PUERTO RICO! ... from Orlando, FL...which caused a bit of controversy on the island when she was selected...but a real beauty...and her Spanish has improved! WEEEEPAHHHH!, as we Boricuas like to say.

Frau Muller

Vive La FRANCE! Probably the #1 pre-arrivals fave of pageant fans (the Filipino & Puerto Rican message boards, esp.) Still strong but others have overtaken her a bit. Maeva competed in last year’s Miss World and was a finalist...similar path of the reigning Miss Universe, Catriona of the Philippines.

CaliSteve

Ones that stuck out to me so far. Not in any order: South Africa, Kenya, France, Belgium, USA, Colombia, Indonesia, Thailand, Myanmar (who just came out as a lesbian), Bangladesh, India, Brazil, Chile, Ireland, Iceland, Japan, Haiti, Puerto Rico (little too patty)

Frau Muller

Any nominees for the "Ruthie Award"

I think that France or Albania might be it, LOL. Sometimes the Ruth Ocumarez Trophy - for the super-fave contestant who fails to make semifinalist - goes to a beautiful European, as Europeans tend to not prepare for interviews as thoroughly as other pageant organizations.

CaliSteve

I think that France or Albania might be it, LOL. Sometimes the Ruth Ocumarez Trophy - for the super-fave contestant who fails to make semifinalist - goes to a beautiful European, as Europeans tend to not prepare for interviews as thoroughly as other pageant organizations.

It could also be Ireland or Iceland too. Ireland does have a great resume and interview. Cara Mund (shes a judge) would love her. I think a Latina could on the line of a Ruthie award too.

Frau Muller

After last night’s prelims, most of my top faves are still in good stead, incl:

PUERTO RICO esp in swimsuit but also in her golden gown!

FRANCE still beautiful...but fell...literally fell but got right back up.

Chile - my early #1 - all agree to her beauty but lacking a bit in energy and charisma, on stage. Iceland also low-key but better in impact.

India, with such a stunning face, was ok. Should still make semi with the Asian group.

Beside my early “tops,” those who ruled the runway last night:

Bahamas
BANGLADESH / big surprise
COSTA RICA wow!
Mexico - not tall but beautiful impact
South Africa
VIETNAM!!! Huge impact...now becomes a mega-fave, along with Puerto Rico!!!

Pre-faves who lost in standings:
The likely winner of the “Ruthie” maybes: Colombia, Brazil, Albania, France...and most other Europeans (lowest energy group).

Not great beauties but likely into the tops due to “sash factor”: Thailand & USA (best abs...and the event is in Atlanta).

Most likely to obtain the “20th semi finalist” slot due to fan votes: Philippines.

Good luck to all tomorrow night!

Frau Muller

For the Miss U mega fans among us...Telemundo will present a number of special shows before and after the 3-hr pageant: (all times Eastern US)

3-5pm “Suelta la Sopa especial: Rumbo a la Corona”- special edition behind the scenes of pageant week, with emphasis on the Latinas. Hosted by famous “Missologists” and highlights of Friday's prelims and national costumes parade.

6-7pm. “Celebrando Nuestras Reinas” - antesala...the official live red carpet pre-show in front of the venue in Atlanta, with fans, families of contestants, past winners, etc.

7-10pm the live pageant: Miss Universe 2019!!!

10-11pm The live post-show with the winner, her fans & family, expert analysis from Missologists, etc.

READY FOR YOUR MISS UNIVERSE PARTY? 🎉 🎈 🎊 whee!!!

ryanj07

My favorites didn’t change much after the preliminaries. I still love Thailand, France, India, Puerto Rico and Colombia. Brazil and South Africa are big favorites with some but I find them a little overrated.

I can’t wait to see how it all turns out!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Latin American women do very well in these contests. I wonder if there is a secret?

ETA - I had looked forward to this show but I am finding it a bit boring. The last time I saw Miss Universe, Steve Harvey announced the wrong winner. I hope he does well tonight.

Frau Muller

SOUTH AFRICA wins!!! So beautiful, elegant and loquacious. Many added her to the top list after her prelim performance. Congratulations!

Wonderful top 3...2nd-PUERTO RICO! 3rd-MEJICO!

All of the faves made it at least to the semi finalists...so no “Ruthie” trophy this year.

I was a bit sad when France & Iceland were eliminated after the top 10 (not in final 5) but I can’t complain about the top 3...So Afr, PR and Mex.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
All five were very good in the final Q&A. Tough decision for the judges.

ryanj07

SA wasn’t necessarily my choice but she is very deserving!

I loved Thailand but she stumbled a bit in her top 5 question and I knew she’d be left behind there. I thought Colombia and France could have placed higher.

Overall, I thought it was a very boring show this year and I grew up watching Miss Universe. It just doesn’t have the same excitement it used to.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
SA wasn’t necessarily my choice but she is very deserving!

I loved Thailand but she stumbled a bit in her top 5 question and I knew she’d be left behind there. I thought Colombia and France could have placed higher.

Overall, I thought it was a very boring show this year and I grew up watching Miss Universe. It just doesn’t have the same excitement it used to.

I used to watch it but in the last few years I lost interest. With the new format the show has become too long and boring. I preferred the old format (All, 12 semifinalists for swimsuit, questions, gowns, then 5 or 6 finalists answer the same question, and it is over).

The quality of the contestants is very high but the show just couldn't hold my attention.

Frau Muller

I used to watch it but in the last few years I lost interest. With the new format the show has become too long and boring. I preferred the old format (All, 12 semifinalists for swimsuit, questions, gowns, then 5 or 6 finalists answer the same question, and it is over).

The quality of the contestants is very high but the show just couldn't hold my attention.

One wonders how much longer it will last? It might be going the way of the old pro ice shows. Maybe the winner, Zozi Tunzi, will garner the MU organization $$$ in non-traditional engagements/events? It would be a waste of talent to book her just to cut a ribbon or wave from a parade float.

I switched over to the Telemundo post-show after that. OMG, they obviously were upset but couldn’t show it. No Latina had won. It was inadvertently funny, in a way.

Last edited:

love skating

Clueless American
I liked South Africa from the opening - Iceland too, so I was very pleased she won. She had a very interesting dress too - although it was mostly gold which like 90% of the dresses were lol, but it at least had blue too. I thought she looked radiant. Then finally at the end of the evening gowns came two red ones and those two got into top five (I think that helped them stand out among the gold). Anyway, Congrats to Miss South Africa!

CaliSteve

I liked South Africa from the opening - Iceland too, so I was very pleased she won. She had a very interesting dress too - although it was mostly gold which like 90% of the dresses were lol, but it at least had blue too. I thought she looked radiant. Then finally at the end of the evening gowns came two red ones and those two got into top five (I think that helped them stand out among the gold). Anyway, Congrats to Miss South Africa!

I loved South Africa's prelim gown. It was so unique.

Winnipeg

I loved SA gown too. It was gorgeous, unique and everything nice......my second fav gown was Miss USA's

I really think SA deserved the title. SHe was great in every way and will represent women across the world very positively IMHO. Quite impressed by her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information