Metro Detroit political, law enforcement leaders mourn passing of Sheriff Benny Napoleon

jenniferlyon

No, Benny Napoleon was not a figure skater. But in 1994, while serving as a Deputy Police Chief in Detroit, he cracked the case that would later be known as "Tonya and Nancy." If you've watched any old footage from back in the day, or any of the documentaries that have come out since then, you have probably seen Benny Napoleon. Thus, he is part of figure skating history.

Benny Napoleon eventually went on to become Sheriff of Wayne County. He was 65 years old when he died of complications from Covid-19.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Oh, he was a STAR of that whole saga at Detroit Nationals 1994. Officer Napoleon’s press conferences are all over my four tapes/DVDs - eight hours - of accumulated news clips on the story.

So sorry to read that he succumbed to *****. May he rest in peace.

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I grew up in S.E. Michigan (the SEMI, as I like to call it) and he was a rare figure in our area because he was respected and liked by so many from such a wide variety of backgrounds. It's impossible to work in Detroit gov't or law enforcement and be untouched by scandal, but even so, he was regarded as a pillar of the community. No one doubted his love for Detroit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information