Mao Asada's 'Thanks Tour' (Starting from May 2018)

Miki89

Thank you Rosewood for the translations! :)

Unfortunately, the clip on the Nagano performances is no longer available. :(

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
First half-post 3/3

Practice 2
(
at Osu rink in Nagoya in March)
Narration: At the point of March Mao is already capable of skating through all the numbers for MTT. She's practiced every day as much as possible since last November.
Mao: I skate for the longest time in my whole skating life. I'll never skate this long again.
Narration: In competitions they skate 4 minutes in FS. This time she skates 10 numbers and it takes 40 minutes in total. Needless to say 40 minutes is the longest in her skating history. Even during such a hard practice ideas of choreography come to her head. She said she had lots of ideas in her competitive career as well.
Mao: I've wished to skate Bei Mir Bistu Shein together with male skater(s) since before. Probably in me there were this and that which I was not able to do as a singles skater, ie. I thought it would be more fun to skate BMTS with male skater(s), when I was skating it alone.

Interview with Shiho 3
Mao: Like musicians who sing songs from ballads to strong musics such as rocks, I've wished to be a skater who can skate to various types of musics since before. Thus I built up the context of my ice show with the images of singers' live concerts in my mind.
Shiho: Ehhh! Is it the first time for you [to make an ice show from zero base]?
Mao: Yes, it is.
Shiho: What do you feel?
Mao: My head is filled with the show at any moment. I wonder if singers live their life with such feelings evey day.
Shiho: Probably my feelings are close to that. BTW, was it different from the days when you were competing?
Mao: When I was competing, I finished choreography etc within a month, and then I practiced the same programs again and again every day. So, it is my first experience to make something based on my own ideas this time.
Shiho: You must be excited.
Mao: I'm enjoying it so much.
Shiho: I'm almost crying when I see things take their form that were originally just my ideas in my head.
Mao: In the past I just piled up practices aiming at my goals on my own. But now there are other members around me and I work together with them for building up a show. I feel it's wonderful. At the same time I feel skating is wonderful.
Shiho: Ahhh Now you see things from a different angle.
Mao: Yes.
Shiho: Great.

Group practice 3
Narration: A show director works for giving an idea its form. It's not easy when you work for group numbers.
Mao: (to the cast after watching a recorded runthrough) In that part of Smile where Seiya comes up, our formation's center was out of position.
Mao: (to the cast on the ice) I want to have our straight-line-formation finished during this part of the music, here - tu lu tu, tu lu tu, tu lu tu lu, tu
____
Narration: It was supposed to be the stage of the preparation where each member should have already memorized the choreography and they could have improved the completion of the group formation, but...
Mao: (to all) I have one thing that I want to tell you. The dance part needs to be practiced seriously. And we need to fix all the things such as the parts where we can't synchronize to each other or where someone run into another. The time for just skating through the number has passed. So we should be more focused in next runthrough. If you guys have something to be fixed, please don't forget what it was, and please talk to each other and try to fix it after finishing today's practice, such as where you guys can't synchronize to each other or where you ran into another member etc. If not, I'm afraid we won't be ready by the first show. So please follow this advice. I myself will work harder too by moving around.
All: OK
Mao: (about the straight-line-formation) Make sure that you are in the proper position in the line during the cross cuts, and then do it again during the choreography where you can see sideways, and after that we should keep looking just forward. It'll make the line look better.
Narration: For making the line straight they worked on having ice cover to be the same distance by each cross cut, or worked on looking for the timings to check next skater's position. She was not accustomed to this kind of practice for group numbers in her competitive career. It didn't go in an ideal way.
Mao: (to all) If we check the line one phrase by one phrase, we can make it. Such as [checking it] during an eagle, cross cuts, going forward and in-three.

Practice 3
(2 months before the first show)
Producer: How about your lower back?
Mao: (showing a lower back supporter to him) I'm warming my lower back. Since I sometimes stand all the way as well as I travel a lot, I try to warm my back as much as possible.
P: You need to take care of your back carefully.
Mao: Yes. Once I aggravate [my chronicle injury in my back], I can not recover [in time for the show]. It will take time. I'm doing everything I can do before I aggravate it.
____
Mao: (after landing a 3Lo) I made it finally.
Narration: She continued piling up practices since she believed it leads her to a success of her show.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Second half-post 1
Documentary: Happiness is in a rink
(my rough summary)

Dress rehearsal
(in Saitama Ice Rink in the end of March)
Narration: Costumes came. Every costume is one-of-a-kind item made based on Mao's idea. They check how the costumes look on the ice or how they feel when they skate in the costumes.
Mao: (with big smile in the Madame Butterfly costume) It's almost finished. Aren't my sleeves long? I'm never able to skate in this costume in competitions.

Interview with Shiho 1
Mao: You rarely appear on TV. I wanted to know what you do on a off day. In DVD videos which I saw you were in various costumes. I wonder if you like old-clothes or vintage clothes?
Shiho: Yes. Today I'm in an old-clothes (*purple dress) too.
Mao: Oh is that so? I love old-clothes too. I often visit Daikanyama or Shimokitazawa [in Tokyo] for shopping. How about you? Where do you go?
Shiho: As for old-clothes shops, I go to Daikanyama and Nakameguro [in Tokyo].
Mao: Oh, Nakameguro?
Shiho: Yes. So you enjoy thinking about costumes, don't you?
Mao: Yes, yes. I enjoyed a lot.
Shiho: How about old-clothes for ice show costumes?
Mao: hahaha Not this time. BTW, when I was competing, long skirts were no-no, since it's disturbing. Since it's a show, I chose many costumes with long skirts for MTT.
Shiho: Oh, long skirts look nice when you move.
Mao: Yes.

Pray for a success
(at a shrine in April)*This kind of ceremony is kind of common in show biz in Japan when they start shows or shooting movies etc.
Mao: (after finishing the ceremony) I feel it braced me up. I feel the first show is coming at last.

Mao promoting MTT on TV and magazines
Narration: At the time Mao was busy with promoting MTT when she didn't have a practice scheduled. She never cut corners in PR since she thought promotion was one of her important roles.
Mao: (in a car) I want as many people as possible to be informed that Thanks Tour is coming. I wish people notice what I'm doing now and my show is starting.
Narration: She was busy but every day was fulfilling. What was encouraging her was her passion for skating, which she's feeling in a rink these days.
Mao: I retired from competitions and decided to start Thanks Tour. In the process of practices I came to feel figure skating is wonderful after all. When I was competing, I was tied by rules. In a rink I did what I had to do on a high level regardless of my poor physical conditions. I was suppressing my feelings, or more precisely I left my feelings aside for the moment. And tried to do whatever I had to do like a machine. After my retirement, my feelings that I have on the way to a rink are totally different. Today I'm excited to go skating. I'm truly enjoying what I'm doing together with Mai and other members. It's the same figure skating, but it's a totally different figure skating.

Group practice
(at Saitama Ice Arena)
Narration: Practice time with all the 10 members was limited. Every 2 weeks they had an intensive practice camp of 2-3 days.
Mao: (to all) We'll start at 2 am. Please be ready by then.
Narration: It's midnight at a reserved rink. They practiced from 9 pm to 3 am. After a short nap, they re-started a practice from 7 am and finished at 9 am. Practices were always done at midnight. Every time it's morning when the practice finished.
Mao: (to members) Sorry [for leaving earlier than you all]. Please clean up the rink.
Narration: On that day she had to go in a hurry to Tokyo as soon as the early morning practice in Saitama finished.
Producer: (at a locker room) Mao, [are you leaving here for] an interview?
Mao: Yes. Today's interview is for magazines. I'm doing this for informing people about Thanks Tour. Today I have interviews for two magazines.
Mai: (to the producer) I feel she really loves figure skating. I think it makes her able to do all of this. Where's the person gone who once said "I'll never skate again." hahaha Since her love for skating reaches my heart, I really enjoy working together with her.
(Mao and Mai left the rink and rushed to Tokyo.)

Group Practice 2
(at the same rink in Saitama)
Narration: It's midnight on the same day. After finishing the interviews Mao and Mai came back to the rink. They have another practice throughout the night. (during a break at a locker room Mao is taking a nap on a bench) She can't hide she's exhausted as expected.
Producer: (to Mao) Are you OK?
Mao: I can't open my eyes. I knew it would come to this but I'm sleepy today. (showing her eyes to a shooting camera and watching its monitor) How do my eyes look? hehehe OK My eyes look open to some extent. hehehe
Narrator: She was sincerely facing figure skating she loves so much. Only a month was left. What was supporting her exhausted body was her mental toughness.

Group practice 3
(flashbacks)
Mao: (to all when practicing a female group number) Your left arm was like this (down and forgotten). Your arm should move like this or that [with intentions]. (reaching out with her hand upward and then downward) You should do something with your arm at least.
Mao: (to one of the youngest members whom she's teaching a spiral) Now you are looking down a bit. (showing a proper pose) You should look forward like this. Good. Good. Good.
Narration: Finger tips. Eye contacts. Angles of bending knees and back. There were lots of things that Mao pointed out. That's what someone like Mao Asada who won a worldwide success can do. She can't expect the same level from others. Taking it into account, and yet she decided to skate with members who she selected by audition. Thus, she sometimes did even skating lessons for some members.
____
Hashimoto (who has experienced synchro): (to other members) When you found yourself going behind of other members, you should push the ice more powerfully for a bigger ice cover. When you found yourself ahead of others, you should skate with shorter steps.
Narration: After graduating from his university, Hashimoto experienced skating as a pro-skater for four years. Mao had many discussions with him for improving the performances into more interesting ones.
Mao: (finding Hashimoto's idea interesting, that was to slap his cheeks in Bei Mir Bistu Shein) Good. Let's do that!
Hashimoto: Three slaps.
Mao: Dunno
Mura: As many as possible.
Hashimoto: hahaha
_____
Hashimoto: When things are going well, she says "It's good." When things are not going well, she gives us another idea saying like "How about this one?" She never says like "no no!" I think that makes it easier for the whole cast to work together. I respect her in the meanng.
_____
Mao: (practicing the female group number) Risa, Mari, Maral and Nagisa, please try another runthrough to make it sure that you can synchro to each other.
Narration: Mari Yamamoto and Risa Kochi are competitive skaters who are studying in universities. First of all Mao taught them the meaning of each choreo one by one. The two worked hard to memorize details of the choreography.
Mari Yamamoto: (asked about Mao) She pays attention to every note of a music. She pursue perfection. That's why I admire her.
Risa Kochi: Practices are tough. I want to show a good performance and it's a motivation for me to overcome the toughness of practices.
_____
Narration: There were days when the more she thought about each member, the deeper she fell into a dark hole. She was not sure how much she can expect from each member. At such time she called smiles from the crowd to mind. Just two weeks were left before the first show. It was a race against time.
Mao: It's coming at last. We still need to work on various details of group numbers. We are in hurry. The dead line is coming. Today I felt we can't waste time.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Second half -post 2
(my rough summary)

Group practice 4
(April 19th at Saitama Ice Arena)
Narration: Three days has past since last practice. They were not able to get in sync with each other even though they could do it well in last practice. There were some-centimeters differences in the heights of their spreaded out arms or in the lengths of steps with each other. "Can this performance make our audience happy?" Such a question came to her mind and it made her feel impatient and uneasy.
Mai: (to all) We need to memorize our positions well. Many of us were out of positions.
Narration: Mao wanted the cast to get in synch perfectly with each other for a much more improved performance. But the practice didn't go in a wished way. Mao left the rink alone.
____
Manager Wada: (to Mao in a loud voice at rink side *I can't hear most of what they said due to small volume other than Wada's words in a loud voice.) Why are you such frustrated by yourself? (Mao said something.) Yes. Taking it out on everyone leads you nowhere. And it's such a [bad] timing. (They left there.)
____
Mao: (talking to other members with tears in her eyes) We've practiced again and again. But our performance is still far from a successful one. Talking about today's practice, we were not in sync with each other at all in this part (with gestures). Although we always finish our practice with reaching our goals of the day, every time we need to start again from scratch in next practice like we did today. And Mai and Wada-san [found faults with me and] yelled at me. It made my head messed up. (looking into everyone's eyes after she wiped her tears) Only two weeks are left. When I called you in a really loud voice for starting a practice, you guys were still chatting. I don't feel you're driven to desperation. I'm driven to desperation. And yet Mai and Wada-san yell at me. (She wiped her tears again and then changed her tone into calmer voice.) We have only two weeks ahead. Please review practices by watching videos at home, everyone. I'm trying my utmost best. I want you to try harder. Although every time we finish our practice with reaching our goals of the day, we need to start again from scratch in the next practice. That's what we did today again. It's no good. (to Mai) Mai, you too still have lots of things that you can't do well. (to everyone) Only two weeks are left. Today I needed to teach you choreography even at such a [close] point [to the first show]. That's no good.
Nagisa Hayashi: I'm sorry.
Mao: (to Nagisa) No. That's not what I meant. Really. (to all) Only two weeks. I want you to get more driven, everyone. Let's try our best. It's no good if we start again from scratch such as getting back to learning choreography. (to Mai) Don't you think so? Is it only me who think so?
Mai: No, [it's not only you.]
Mao: (to Mai) Did I say something wrong? (to all) I'm not perfect either. So I can't say even if I have something I want to say. Me too have something that I'm concerned about. That's why we need a team work. (wiping her tears) We are not competitive skaters [skating in a gala]. Our audience have their real life. They try their best in their own life every day. When they come to our show, they are excited. Our programs are not ours alone. Please try your best. Please review practices at home. We need to do so. That's what I'm thinking. Please follow my advice. (Mao left there with her manager Wada.)
___
Mai (to other members) Probably it could be better if we hadn't had chats and had been ready for starting when it was the time for working on something together or when she said "Now it's time for starting." I'm sure we've been improving. Let's do our best. We can make it.
____
Narration: Mao's tears hit everyone's heart. "Up to this very moment how much have I thought about the people who come and see our show? Have I faced skating as seriously as Mao has?" Such questions came to their mind. Without Mao in the rink they were recalling what Mao has told them until today.
____
Narration: An hour later Mao came back to the rink and joined the planned runthroughs. She acted as if nothing happened. She wished everyone's heart come together.
Mao: (as a pep talk) OK. I myself put my feelings behind. Let's try our best, everyone! (They got psyhed up hand in hand in a circle. When they said "Yoshi!=Let's go!", they noticed they were not sure they were going to move their hands up or down, and they laughed together.)
Narration: It was the first ever pep talk in a circle formation since their team was made. It was also the first time to see a member skating in a shirt with half sleeves. Spring has come but the high temperature must not be the only reason of the short sleeves. They could skate convincingly in the runthrough this time.
____
Mai: I think this kind of stuff is very important in the process. Friendly atmosphere with smiles alone is not enough to make a team work well. It gave us tense in the atmosphere. It made us do good practices on our own like we are doing right now. It happened two weeks before the show starts and I think it was a good timing.
Mura: We need to go beyond a self-satisfaction level after all. She hit the point. Thanks to her words it gave us a tense in our atmosphere. I wish we'll pile up good practices when we work together next time at Nobeyama.
Mao: If it's a practice I'm doing alone, I'll throw my anger to myself thinking like "I'll never lose to this!", and I'll just work harder. But it's a group work that we are doing. Every skater has his/her own way of thinking. That said, I think it was probably good that I could say what I wanted to say. We need to build up good programs as a team. I think the runthrough which we did after our heart got together went well.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Second half-post 3/3
(my rough summary)

Group practice 5
(April 20-21 at Nobeyama in Nagano prefecture)
Narration: From the next day they had a camp for two days at Nobeyama plateau. Everyone felt it was a priceless time for the team to stay together. During the camp they worked hard. The better they got synch with each other, the more smiles they had on their face.

Interview with Shiho 2
Shiho: What comes to your mind when you are skating?
Mao: This time I thought shows are totally different from competitions. In competitions it was a battle against myself. I focused on how high quality I can deliver difficult techniques without making mistakes. Those feelings were stronger. This time I'm skating for a show. In my daily practices, my focus is more on expressing the meanings of every choreography or conveying my feelings to the audience.
Shiho: Did you feel sense of accomplishment when you nailed difficult techniques in competitions? Was that special?
Mao: When I was competing, I thought I'll never have the same sense of accomplishment after my retirement. Today I'm working with my team for creating one thing. When I reached our goals together with my team, the sense of accomplishment was as wonderful as I used to have.
Shiho: Wow, that's great. I wonder if it's not a thing that happens often. I thought you are fortunate.
Mao: I have something that I want to ask you. Talking about delivering something to the audience by performing in front of them, do you have anything that you cherish in your mind when you perform on a stage?
Shiho: In the world of musics there aren't anything like rankings. That means there isn't any "right answer" nor "right goals." It has a kind of tough side. It's difficult to know how much the audience were moved by my performance. So I have my own way to measure it in myself. When I was given big hands, I always say to myself "OK, I made it."
Mao: When I saw your concert in person, the audience showered non-stop applause on you. That scene was wonderful.
Shiho: I think applause is a truly natural reaction from people. People can't help but giving hands. I say to myself that they were unconsciously moved and burst into giving hands. Applause gives me goosebumps.

Group practice 5
(Saitama Ice Arena, a week before the tour starts)
Narration: It was one week before the first show. It was the final group-practice. Everyone had strong will in his/her mind. They skated in quite a good synch all through the practice.
___
Nagisa Hanashi: We'll never forget those tears [from Mao]. Since everyone can find many things to work on by watching videos of our practice, everyone do checks after every practice. We'll re-brace ourselves to face the first show.
Seiya Hashimoto: That was Mao-chan's honest feelings from her heart. Since she could be straightforward, in other words she expressed herself as she is, it touched our heart. And it made our bonds stronger.
___
Narration: They got confidence and sense of achievement from the final practice. Mao hits the road soon and travels across the country with her team.
Mao: We are ready. Although we don't know how long this journey lasts, I wish our journey lasts as long as possible. And lasts with this team!

Niigata stop
(May 3-4, at Niigata)
Narration: Niigata was the first ever stop of Mao Asada's Thanks Tour. Apart from rinks in big cities she travels across the country since she wanted the audience in various areas to see figure skating in person. Rinks are smaller but it doesn't matter. Now the show is ready to get started. All the tickets for four shows in two days were sold out. Families and kids were there in the crowd. Lots of people who see an ice show for the first time were there as well.
___
Mao: (pep talk at the backstage just before the opening) Let's enjoy ourselves so that the audience can enjoy our show.
All together: Let's go!
Narration: 'Mao Asada's programs' were skated one after another. Memories of quite a few great moments came into people's mind. (between two programs) Skaters were busy backstage [with costume changes]. (Mao looks so tired in a chair backstage) More than supposed Mao was fighting against fatigues. (Mao starts skating to Madama Butterfly.) She was OK. She went out on the ice where everyone was waiting. (finale) And the final program started. (The cast was in the shower of applause.) They were given big hands. (Members were crying for joy backstage.)
Producer: Are you tired?
Mao: (with tears of joy in her eyes) I'm tireeeeeeed. At some point of the show I didn't know what will happen. I was a bit afraid. Not a bit but a lot. Anyways, putting things that I need to work on aside for now, my heart is filled with gratitude.
Mai: I can't stop my tears coming up. My thoughts for this ice show were such heavy. How about you, Mao?
Mao: Yes. My thoughts were too heavy. That said, I thought I must not make any mistake since everyone was doing their very best.
Narration: She shared the tears of gratitude and joy with her fellow members.
Mao: Thanks to people's support I can skate like today. I'm a happy skater.

Nagano Stop
(June 2-3, at Karuizawa, Nagano)
Narration: The happiness that Mao felt was the same happiness that everyone felt. Everything was in a rink. This happiness will be delivered to lots of people. In the second chapter of her life where Mao walks with skating she lights up everyone again.

Yay! I made it! Thanks for reading my loooong summary. As Mao said after finishing the first show of the tour, they are still working on improving their programs. I find this and that they changed their choreography or etc, like the choreography of Mao's Madama Butterfly is different at the second stop from the first stop. Mao does the quick costume change on the ice surrounded with a black curtain that the cast hold around her since the quick costume change was kind of a wow factor in this documentary and it drew people's attention. Happy to see Mao is feeling a big sense of achievement with MTT and the second chapter of her life is fruitful!

cohkaix

Seems two of her sponsor companies and Chukyo University (where she studied and trained) bought MTT shows for inviting their customers/students and their related people. Happy Mao's loved by her sponsor companies & school that she graduated from.

Kirara (a product from MTG) presents Mao Asada's special ice show
Aug 14th, afternoon show, at Chukyo University's ice rink

Mao Asada's special ice show exclusively for Chukyo University's related people
Aug 14th, evening show, at Chukyo University's ice rink

Airweave presents Mao Asada's special ice show
Aug 15th, afternoon show, at Chukyo University's ice rink

MTT is holding additional stops at Chukyo U ice rink today and tomorrow. It is reported by audiences on twitter that Mao did the combination jump of 3L2L2L during performing the Rachmaninoff number. Also, it seems that Coach Yamada and Coach Higuchi were in the audiences for the 2nd show today.

Adding: for the last performance on 15th, Mao did 2L2L2L2L.

Last edited:

livetoskate

The tour looks to be a smashing success since they've added additional stops and Mura got his BMW. In a carsensor.net article this spring, he said he was going to do all he could to make the tour successful, and he hoped to reward himself with a BMW. He and Mao conducted a skating clinic for kids sponsored by Airweave. Here are some video clips:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmlAMtLnIT2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
The tour looks to be a smashing success since they've added additional stops and Mura got his BMW. In a carsensor.net article this spring, he said he was going to do all he could to make the tour successful, and he hoped to reward himself with a BMW. He and Mao conducted a skating clinic for kids sponsored by Airweave. Here are some video clips:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmlAMtLnIT2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
It turned out that MTT is actually a show to be called as a smashing success! This past weekend's Ibaraki show had SEVENTEEN sponsor companies! :eek: I can't remember a show who had such big number of sponsor companies. 10 of them are sponsors of the whole tour and the rest 7 companies are temporary ones including local companies etc. See the every different name of the companies on the oce!
https://scontent-nrt1-1.cdninstagra...414_300378017434080_4320101582055145472_n.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dk31JobU8AE3w_-.jpg

Tickets are sold out everywhere and shows are being added one by one. Machiko Yamada in the clip I posted above said "Mao-chan ganbatte!! Let's hold MTT next year too!" and Mao answered "Yes!" :D

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
A news clip of MTT held at Chukyo University. Mao looked so happy to have her own show at the school where she used to study/train. Machiko Yamada and Mihoko Higuchi came to see the show in stands. After the show Yamada had a chat with Mao/Mai.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/k1gMpM7QIYxcvXrLGXH
preview clip
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6saqz8

Watch how magically Mao portrays a different woman in every program! :swoon::encore::swoon:
Here is a Youtube video. :) Thanks a lot to the YT user. Maybe you guys need to watch it in hurry before it's gone.

Someone please give me gifs of this and this. :inavoid:

Last edited:

livetoskate

Wow, what a success for them to get so many sponsors. This goes to show that having smaller shows in local venues, at prices families and students can afford, can spread the popularity of skating. I still want to see Takahito Mura and Ernesto Martinez's entire performances. They should have a performance where Erni mirrors Mao's choreography, since he mastered it. He sort of reminds me of Katia Gordeeva and seems like a hoot from social media.

cohkaix

The next stop of MTT will be at Saitama, the tour coming up during Sept 7th~9th.

Also, as Mao and Mai had photo-shooting for GQ Japan magazine earlier during the year, GQ Japan will hold a special event to go on LIVE at its Instagram with Mao, right before the start of MTT at Saitama on Sept 7th (around 14:25, Japan time). Right now they're accepting questions for Mao during the LIVE, so you can leave questions for her at the comment here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnKTNioAwGt/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1v3xbjr05kmn3

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
According to IG stories of Maral, today's rehearsal of MTT Saitama stop is going to be livestreamed on GQ Japan's IG. You guys must watch it!

It starts from 14:25 (Japan Time) It'll start in about 3 hours and a half.

Link to GQ Japan's IG
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnZv5b0g8J1/?taken-by=gqjapan
Check out our LIVE streaming on Instagram starting from 2:25 pm (JST) on 7th September. We will be joined by Asada Mao, a three-time world champion and the 2010 Olympic silver medalist figure skater.

It will have an interview with her too.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnKTNioAwGt/?taken-by=gqjapan

Last edited:

cohkaix

Updates about MTT:
- the next stop will be Yamanashi (Sept 22-23). Same as previous stop, the members from MTT held skating lesson for local kids on Sept 19: https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000002.000037373.html
- Actually, an accident happened during one of the last performance at Saitama: Mai and one of the team member, Maral, collided with each other during the performance. Both were injured and Maral even got stitched. So it is possible that both will be absent from the performances at Yamanashi stop (and the content of the tour might be changed some). Hope they'll get well and recover soon!
- Good News: it is announced that MTT will add one more stop during Dec 15-16 @ Shimane! There will be 4 performances total during the 2-day tour. I guess this also means MTT might as well hold further performances at other locations in Japan next year. :saint:

cohkaix

Some news updates from D1 @Yamanashi stop:
- Both Mai and Maral still showed up during the performance, but the programs have been adjusted some: originally Mai had a solo program on Sheherazade, but it was replaced by a collaborated program from Mura and Erni, skating to Mao's Nocturne (!!). It's reported that Mura skated to the 1st half of the program and Erni the 2nd half (incl. Stsq).
- It has been reported that, not only in Yamanashi, but also from performances in earlier stop, Mao attempted the jump combination 3L-2L-2L-2L-2L several times during skating to Rach 2. So in general Mao has been keeping a good shape throughout the tour.
- Three of the MTT members, Mura, Sei and Seiya recently formed a new agency 'orange cheers' (I'm not quite sure about the nature of the agency/group). And they're posting some information about MTT at their official IG account: https://www.instagram.com/team.orangecheers/

cohkaix

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoF1TpjgIc5/

Happy birthday, Mao!
(There was a small surprise for Mao after the last performance from Yamanashi stop.)

So, about the birthday surprise for Mao from MTT, here's a clip from twitter for some details:
https://twitter.com/gogosup0726/status/1044491246306086912
- the whole team and staff of MTT pre-recorded a short video for Mao
- each tour member presented Mao with flower and a head wreath (see the 2nd video in Mao's IG post)
- tour members skated to Liebesträume (they've been practicing the number secretly)
- In the end, the whole audience were invited to join the final celebration (audiences were given the banner beforehand so they already knew there would be some kind of surprise activity by the end of the performance)

Adding: Mao's 3L-2L-2L-2L-2LTano is quite solid!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
According to IG stories of Maral, today's rehearsal of MTT Saitama stop is going to be livestreamed on GQ Japan's IG. You guys must watch it!

It starts from 14:25 (Japan Time) It'll start in about 3 hours and a half.

Link to GQ Japan's IG
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnZv5b0g8J1/?taken-by=gqjapan

It will have an interview with her too.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnKTNioAwGt/?taken-by=gqjapan
If you guys didn't watch this IG-live, GQ magazine posted a recorded video on their IG page. The video has chats with Mao&Mai and then you can watch a bit of the opening scene of MTT in their dress rehearsal.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/BoIdBCinpep/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=bti2zlxjhtv5

If the link doesn't work for you, click here to open GQ's IG page and click on a IGTV tab which is just below GQ Japan's logo on the top of the page.

GQ said we can watch the video only for one week. So try it before it's gone if you like.

ETA:
A PR video of the GQ's recorded video on Mao's IG post.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoNmjQ0gl-s/?hl=ja&taken-by=maoasada2509

From another her post, a 3Lo-2Lo-2Lo-2Lo-2Lo in Rach 2 (which was the 9th program she skated) on her birthday.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoK9xRSAp-D/?hl=ja&taken-by=maoasada2509

Belated happy BD to Mao!
(photos&clips 1) (2) (3)

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Here is a short news clip of the BD surprise present in the final show at Yamanashi stop. Nice to hear Mao said "I could feel everyone's love" in tears of joy.
https://news.tbs.co.jp/newseye/tbs_newseye3482172.htm?1538021828819

If the link is geo blocked in your country, here is a direct link to a video.

Too bad the only ticket I managed to get was for the first show at Yamanashi stop where MTT team celebrated another MTT member Mari-chan's 20th BD. Anyways, as a surprise BD present for Mao, it seems MTT members skated Liebesträume in relay and showed a video clip where cast/backstage staffs said happy BD on a screen. It was nice to see backstage staffs love Mao too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoF1TpjgIc5/?hl=ja&taken-by=maoasada2509
As you can see on the second clip video, I really loved the word from the MTT team shown on the screen, that was "私たちに愛と夢をくれたあなたへ" which means "To you who gave us love and dreams." It really fits Liebesträume (Dream of Love) that they skated before she saw the video too. And you know what, other than Mura, Sei and Mai, MTT members were kind of unknown skaters. It was nice to see they exchange love with Mao, and they are thankful to her for giving them opportunities to skate in front of nice audience in a big tour across the country for months.

Reportedly Mao burst into tears, but she also burst into laugh when she heard a poetic message from Erni when everyone said a BD message to her. It was like "Surrounded by a crowd, in a strong beaming light, turning struggles and sorrows into power, you were there smiling, close one, beloved one, and someone to rely on, memories of you make me alive." haha Well done, Erni!

Here are photos of BD cakes for Mao & Mari that all the members made together in a cooking room in one of Mao's sponsor company's building. It also has photos of a small party they had after Yamanashi shows finished.
https://www.instagram.com/team.orangecheers/

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Before I post next year's schedule announced today, I want to update this year's schedule.

2018 Mao Asada Thanks Tour
1 May 3-4, Niigata
2 June 2-3, Nagano
3 July 21-22, Hokkaido
* Aug 14 afternoon, Kirara presents special show, Aichi
* Aug 14 evening, Chukyo University presents special show, Aichi
* Aug 15, Airweave presents special show, Aichi
4 Aug 18-19, Ibaraki
5 Sept 7-9, Saitama
6 Sept 22-23, Yamanashi
7 Oct 13-14, Fukushima
8 Oct 20-21, Kanagawa
9 Oct 26-28, Fukuoka
* Oct 28, Arsoa presents special show, Fukuoka
10 Nov 2-4, Hiroshima
* Nov 4, Arsoa presents special show, Hiroshima
11 Dec 15-16, Shimane (added recently)

MTT sells tickets selectively since Mao wants local people to come to MTT. For example, for the Saitama show, they sell tickets to people who live in Saitama first, maybe they sell around 2/3 tickets to Saitama people, and those seats are mostly good ones, and then they sell the rest of the tickets to people out of Saitama. So, it's really tough to get the ticket if MTT doesn't come to your prefecture. When I went to Yamanashi show (with a help of my friend to get a ticket), Mao&Mai asked people to raise their hand if they are from Yamanashi. Approximately 3/5 raised their hand. And when they asked them to raise their hand if it was the first ever ice show they attended, more than a half of the people did. Looked Mao's wish to draw people out of the skating fandom is working well. I saw lots of families with kids, elderly people, or middle aged/young men in the house, and it's not usual in other ice shows.

Fukushima is a special place. It was affected by 3.11 disaster. And MTT invited kids skaters & their parents for free. Those skaters belong to a club from where some of the kids skated together with Mao to Jupiter in a NHK's charity ice show a few years back. Also, students who are supported by Support Our Kids came to make a flower wall as a present for MTT and they also worked as volunteer staffs of MTT, since Mao has been donating/supporting SOK for years. SOK is a NPO group who support 3.11 victim students to go and stay abroad for getting inspirations.

The final stop Shimane was added recently. I wonder if it's due to Mao's gratitude to Mura's support. He belonged to Tottori local federation when he was competing. Tottori doesn't have any ice rink. Shimane is a next prefecture to Tottori. MTT sells the local ticket to Tottori people too, together with Shimane people.

It was also heart warming Chukyo Univ held a special ice show and Mao/Maral could skate in the arena of their school. Mao studied in Chukyo Univ and Maral is studying/training in the Univ.

Mao recently announced Mai leaves MTT after this year's final show which is Shimane show. I understand it since it was announced today that MTT will continue its tour one more year, and Mai has her job for TV programs as a reporter etc. Sad but can't help. I wonder if a few more cast will leave too since the original contract empires next March. Happy MTT is a bigger hit than originally planned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information