Malaysia on the cusp of Winter Olympics debut, thanks to Julian Yee

Sylvia

TBD
Always good to see local coverage about figure skaters! http://www.thesundaily.my/news/2017/06/27/malaysia-cusp-winter-olympics-debut-thanks-julian-yee

Re-posting here:
Slightly off-topic, but it appears Malaysia already has qualified one quota for Pyeongchang in men's alpine skiing (presumably in slalom), likely going to 19 year old Jeffrey Webb of Washington state. Therefore, if Julian earns a berth at Nebelhorn, it'll be a team of 2 for Malaysia's debut at the Winter Olympic games.

peibeck

Simply looking
"I would like to prove that it doesn't matter where you're from or who you are, that it is possible to get to where you want to be," he said, adding that it would be such an honour to be able to get the Jalur Gemilang flying at the Winter Olympics for the very first time.

This is my favorite quote from the article. I wish him a lot of luck!!!

Sylvia

TBD
Another Malaysian article in English: Yee refines his skills for SEA Games
Yee finds his current coach Michael Hopfes “very fun to work with” as well.
“He’s very dedicated and always gives 100%. Just like my former coach, off the ice, he is also a great friend,” he said.
“When I relocated my training to Canada, he was the coach I went to. Since then, I’ve had no regrets going to Canada to train under him.
“So far, my career has been going quite smoothly with him because both of us are always giving our best and the results are showing gradually.”
When not figure skating, Yee likes to cook.
He is scheduled to compete at Minto Summer Skate, July 27-30 in Gloucester, ON.

The figure skating singles competition at the SEA Games will take place in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on August 26-27, 2017.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Jun Y

Congratulations to Mr. Yee and to Malaysia! I was pumping my fist for him throughout the program! :cheer2:

He was clearly tired in the choreo and step sequences, but he hung on and landed the last 2A-2A sequence. Such a tough guy. :)

Seerek

Using 2014 Junior Worlds as the base competition, Julian (35th) jumped ahead of the following men at Nebelhorn to qualify for Pyeongchang:

Tsao (18)
Newberry (19)
Boe (24)
Hayrapetyan (29)
Kennes (32)

*Lee (16) and Rizzo (30) were also at 2014 Junior Worlds (2 of the other Olympic qualifiers at Nebelhorn).

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
Interesting, and it's quite likely that the 2014 World Junior Champion - Nam Nguyen - won't be at the Olympics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information