Learn to Skate program app

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Just asking a question.

If you were developing a Learn to Skate program app, what would you like it to do. Both for kids and adults. Need consideration for testing and competitions. If there are any that people are currently using also interested to know what they are and what they do. Thanks

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
One thing that could be handy would be alternate names/descriptions of elements. For example, I still know some coaches who refer to camels as "parallel spins" and some of the coaches at my rink have interesting names for some of the Aussie Skate elements, which can be awkward when judging the test if the coach is using an alternate name.

vesperholly

I think you have to first know who your audience will be. Skating kids? Coaches? Parents? Because that will make a big difference in what information is needed.

As a skater, an app that had a quick reference for test elements and patterns would be glorious. And the option to play pattern dance music. The USFS rulebook is cumbersome on mobile and Google doesn't always get the right results. I end up with a hodgepodge of links saved and music in iTunes.

As an LTS coach, definitely would love a reference for each level of the elements - what's on Basic 1, etc. There are some badges like dance and hockey that I don't teach very often. A video demonstration of each element and tips for teaching would be nice.

Parents would probably want something that can tell them all the learn to skate programs in their area, with maps of the rinks, dates and times, signup links, etc.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Thanks for that. Dance music would a great idea. We do have a structured curriculum so that would be one of the first things to add.

One idea was that testing could be done via the app so the skater can keep track of their tests but it also updates the skating database so competition convenors can check what levels the skaters are at when they enter competitions. But also it changes colour as they move up the levels (like karate belts). And then add in some games to make it interactive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information