Konstantinva's interview

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Boris Khodorovskiy's interview with Stanislava Konstantinova for ria.ru

BK: Together with Chebotareva you made a journey from a beginner to a Worlds/Euros participant. What made you move to Pluschenko?
SK: It's weird talking about it a year after. We worked with Chebotareva for a long time together, but at some point I felt we were stuck.

BK: Do you regret spending a season in `Angels'?
SK: I usually don't regret things. Especially not the switch. Am happy I trained with Volkov and Pluschenko. It was an amazing experience. I changed everything! First it felt like a cold shower and it helped me to get back into the shape. I never worked the way I did in Moscow. I became more disciplined. The new coaches stressed not focusing on the failures but focus on the training process. Sometimes after 2 runthrough they would make me skate the programme again even if I had nothing left.

BK: Did you have to change the jumping technique and did you feel the new characters you were depicting in your programmes?
SK: I had to change many things in my technique. Practically learned every jump anew. Though a year after I realize changing things drastically in my age is impossible, as it is impossible to go back to the old technique. I try to find something in the middle. As for the programmes my new team goal was to show a new me. It was a shame to part with the old favourite programmes, but I coulnd't skate `Anna Karenina' for the 4th season. Think I could have skated the beloved `February' but I had to try something new. Yet no one tried to push me to something that was not me. We had to show the new Konstantinva. I didn't expect it would be so easy and so nice.

BK: Is it possible to increase the content level at the age of 20?
SK: Nothing is impossible. All the skaters go through puberty. I try not to pay attention to the well wishing who want me to retire because I have no chance. I believe I can show a decent skating and that's what am working on.

BK: Do you set goals for the competition results?
SK: I started working with a psychologist to find the right motivation. For me becoming better is more important than the titles and the price money. I realized how much I love figure skating! And not only the competitions and shows, but the hard work of the practices. I understand I need to show the clean skates in the competitions. The practice champions are not very interesting.

BK: Were you ever offered to switch to ice dance?
SK: I was, but don't think it was serious. Both my best friends in figure skating are dancers. We discussed an option of a chance and came to a conclusion the ice dance is not for me. I skate chaotically and egoistically, it will not work with a partner. I don't think he would appreciate my moods.

BK: You diplomatically parted ways with `Angels of Pluschenko' but many thought you were hurt when Trusova and Kostornaya joined the coaches put all their attention on them...
SK: Not at all. Don't look for any unsaid things in my words. I had enough attention from the coaches. The good competition in the group motivates and gives energy. Especially such skaters as Ttrusova and Kostornaya. We didn't practice together, but not seeing how Alexandra works on the ice is impossible. She is such a hard worker! She is set on her quads in hte practices! I was in awe with such a working ethics.

BK: So why did you decide to leave?
SK: The main base of the `Angels' is now Gorki near Moscow. That's where the new rink is, but Volkov's group did not move there. The practicing conditions have changed, there is less ice time now.

BK: While practicing in Moscow you kept representing St. Petersburg, yet you were not receiving the team salary.
SK: The move to Moscow from St. Petersburg was my personal decision and all the finances were on me. My parents helped, but I payed for the accomodation and the practices. All my earned price money from the previous season were spent on that and still are.

BK: You receive no financial help at all?
SK: There was a short period of time when Chopozov was the head of St. Petersburg FSF. He communicated a lot with the athletes and supported me, even though by then I was training in Moscow. He helped with the boots, costumes, travelling to the competitions. I'm sorry he didn't stay there for longer.

BK: Even though Pluschenko knew you were leaving he allowed you performing in one of the main roles in his `Swan Lake' show.
SK: I learned about being invited that that amazing show before the nationals in Chelyabinsk. It is not related to the decision to switch coaches

J

Jeschke

I wished we could have seen 'February' skated clean more than once!
This program was just everything! :love:
And yeah I say the same thing about 'Anna Karenina' but even I am not rooting for another round.

Last edited by a moderator:

3T3T

I just rewatched February from the Aurora Games again. It was truly a glorious programme and she of all her great qualities, I would happily have watched her use it again this season.

I’m glad to hear she is continuing and it will be interesting to see the choreo Butaseva gives her. I admire the way she takes on the people who say she should retire.

She really should have got bronze in 2019 Euros but she did bounce back with a bronze in the Universiade.

Tinami Amori

I’m glad to hear she is continuing and it will be interesting to see the choreo Butaseva gives her.
I suspect it will be something "romantic and/or lyrical" maybe classic maybe modern, but certainly "female/feminine oriented".

Scott512

I just rewatched February from the Aurora Games again. It was truly a glorious programme and she of all her great qualities, I would happily have watched her use it again this season.

I’m glad to hear she is continuing and it will be interesting to see the choreo Butaseva gives her. I admire the way she takes on the people who say she should retire
She really should have got bronze in 2019 Euros but she did bounce back with a bronze in the Universiade.

I’m glad to hear she is continuing and it will be interesting to see the choreo Butaseva gives her. I admire the way she takes on the people who say she should retire.

Nice interview. I would not expect anything but class from Stasya.

It was Unthinkable that stanislava did not win bronze at that European championships two years ago when the competition was so weak. Not the Russian competition but the European competition. Stasya bombed the SP and could not make up the points to get third. I think that was the low point of her career. Then she rebounded from that to win 3rd at Universade.

I would love to see stanislava in dance. She's too big for pairs. But she would be great and dance only after she ended her singles career of course.

She's such a beautiful figure skater I wish her well with her new coach. But Stasya has gotten breaks in her career that others did not get and she did not take advantage of them. She has always been missing something. I guess it was a killer instinct or mental toughness. That said I want to see her continue figure skating as long as she wants to. Stasya is a beautiful athlete and cuts a striking figure on the ice. The sport needs Russian women still competing well into their twenties whether they are a top-tier or second tier of the Russian ladies or not.

Stasya was spectacular in the Swan Lake Show. She has a big future in skating shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information