Junior moves I keep failing

almondjoy

Hi, I am getting really frustrated because I keep failing my junior moves. Yesterday I tested for the fourth time and I still failed. My nerves did really get to me and even though I've made so much progress in 2 years I am still not passing and I am extremely frustrated an unsure what to do. My coach texted the judge after the test and he said he would've liked to see more knee bending from me. I practice these moves so much and given exercises on ice to help with them and work out off-ice, but I feel completely stuck and frustrated. I guess my biggest issue is when I test I get nervous and am less likely to bend in my knees and I am stiffer and this is really holding me back. If I skated the way I do in practice I probably would've passed yesterday, but I just don't know why my body acts like this under pressure. I guess I'm also lacking confidence and it really messes me up when I see everyone moving up levels and I'm still stuck on junior. I feel so alone :(.

ioana

Not junior moves, but I've been stuck on novice MITF for over 5 years. In all fairness, I don't practice them all the time and ever since I've gone to work a start-up I couldn't skate as much as I'd want to. Definitely understand feeling stuck. My issue is convincing myself to do some of the patterns with speed (like the first one with quick 3 turns and rocker choctaws) is hard enough even when I practice them on a regular basis. Trying to get back to them after a break and maintaining that attack (and by that I mean doing them at close to normal speed expected for passing standard, they just scare the living %^$& out of me). Not really happening. Just got to then point where I made my peace with potentially never testing, but at least I am close to getting through all the patterns now, except back inside twizzles, so some progress was still made.

Do you have any other tests (freestyle, dance) you could work on? Or just working on a show program to get your mind off the test and have something else to focus on for a while?

just tuned in

@Alessandra -- I feel you. I am stuck on Adult Silver MITF. If I could only test the way I practice!! I've taken the test five times -- twice this year. There is always that one charitable judge that gives me "pass," but I know that I am making bobbles, not holding edges, etc. I am so tired of practicing these same moves, but I am trapped in the desire to pass this test! I don't know why it is such a big deal... I am an older adult and am proud of my accomplishments on the ice. But passing this stupid test is so important to me. I practice bending my knees, keeping my shoulders down, keeping my arms low, keeping off my toes, keeping my hips under, keeping my head up, but at test-time, the rink is just so darn quiet and I can hear my breathing and my heartbeat pounding in my ears, and of course every scratch of the blade, I seize up and then the mistakes just start coming one after the other.

Spun Silver

An encouraging quote passed on to me today by a skater at my rink:
"Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor." (Truman Capote)
(In my translation: When you finally do succeed, how sweet it will be when you remember how hard you worked for it! Or: How thrilling it will be to stand, or skate, on the mountaintop when you know so well what it feels like to be stumbling through the valley of despond!)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Alessandra One of the best things a coach ever said to me was "the judges want you to pass". And it's true, they really do. They support skaters and they want to see you do well. Testing still makes me really really nervous, but thinking of the judges as being supportive, rather than waiting for a mistake to pounce on, helps me be a lot less nervous.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Judges do want skaters to pass. However one thing we say is the skaters pass or fail themselves. We can only judge to the criteria.

And most skaters go out there wanting to do their best. However I have seen a few who get out there and say "we just wanted to give it a go" which I think depending on how bad the test was can be disrespectful to the process. Particularly when the skater clearly was so poor.

You really do have to be over prepared so that your skating skills are such that you can get past any nerves. Of course you are going to be nervous so it is how you deal with that as well. That is in your head and that can be the toughest obstacle to overcome. But like practising your moves you need to practise your head as well.

almondjoy

@Alessandra -- I feel you. I am stuck on Adult Silver MITF. If I could only test the way I practice!! I've taken the test five times -- twice this year. There is always that one charitable judge that gives me "pass," but I know that I am making bobbles, not holding edges, etc. I am so tired of practicing these same moves, but I am trapped in the desire to pass this test! I don't know why it is such a big deal... I am an older adult and am proud of my accomplishments on the ice. But passing this stupid test is so important to me. I practice bending my knees, keeping my shoulders down, keeping my arms low, keeping off my toes, keeping my hips under, keeping my head up, but at test-time, the rink is just so darn quiet and I can hear my breathing and my heartbeat pounding in my ears, and of course every scratch of the blade, I seize up and then the mistakes just start coming one after the other.
I definitely feel the same way as you. This test is far too important for me to give up and the amount of hours I put into it I don’t want to give up. I’m going to try to work on getting off my ties as difficult as that can be because I believe it’ll make a huge difference in my skating and what the judges think.

almondjoy

Judges do want skaters to pass. However one thing we say is the skaters pass or fail themselves. We can only judge to the criteria.

And most skaters go out there wanting to do their best. However I have seen a few who get out there and say "we just wanted to give it a go" which I think depending on how bad the test was can be disrespectful to the process. Particularly when the skater clearly was so poor.

You really do have to be over prepared so that your skating skills are such that you can get past any nerves. Of course you are going to be nervous so it is how you deal with that as well. That is in your head and that can be the toughest obstacle to overcome. But like practising your moves you need to practise your head as well.
Do you have any suggestions on practicing in your head? I know it can be different for everyone but is there something that helps you?

Tavi

Two thoughts: (1) have you considered working with a sports psychologist; and (2) are there more advanced skills (eg, senior moves) that you can work on?

It sounds like the issue is more nerves and a lack of confidence/ focus than your inability to do the skills to standard. A sports psychologist may be able to give you techniques to handle whatever is getting in your way. And sometimes, if you are working on/ able to do harder /more complicated skills, you have more confidence in performing less advanced skills under pressure/ in a test situation. Also, visualization might help. Good luck!

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Do you have any suggestions on practicing in your head? I know it can be different for everyone but is there something that helps you?
It has been a while since I competed or tested but I still skate occasionally. I am no expert so as Tavi suggested talking to a sports psych may help. Also google articles on sports preparation and nerves.

Still I truly believe preparation is key. If knee bend was the issue in the test, then that is what you have to work on and also during your test focus on that.

AYS

🌻
@Alessandra Do you take ice dancing at all in addition to moves (and/or freestyle); do you have dance coaches at your rink. Dancing really focuses on getting down into your knees and ankles and could help your skating skills in the other parts of your skating. Plus it would give you a lot of fun tests to succeed on in addition to your moves and it's a lot of fun.

almondjoy

@Alessandra Do you take ice dancing at all in addition to moves (and/or freestyle); do you have dance coaches at your rink. Dancing really focuses on getting down into your knees and ankles and could help your skating skills in the other parts of your skating. Plus it would give you a lot of fun tests to succeed on in addition to your moves and it's a lot of fun.
Hi it’s funny you mention that. I’ve actually never tested dance but I want to and I’ve passed my intermediate freestyle a few years ago. My coach decided a few days ago that I should work with this really good dance coach at the rink on my moves so I cross my fingers he does the trick and helps me.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Dance coaches can really help with moves. Hopefully, this new coach works out for you re: these moves!

vesperholly

I agree that a dance coach will do wonders for your knee bend! Think about not just bending your knees, but your ankles too. Press into the ice. I started doing dance when I got frustrated with intermediate moves and it was an incredible help. I was able to pass through junior and I'm working on senior now (after a long break).

Do you have any videos of yourself skating? You can PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

Also don't worry about everyone passing tests around you. You are on your own path and it doesn't matter when you pass the tests!

almondjoy

I agree that a dance coach will do wonders for your knee bend! Think about not just bending your knees, but your ankles too. Press into the ice. I started doing dance when I got frustrated with intermediate moves and it was an incredible help. I was able to pass through junior and I'm working on senior now (after a long break).

Do you have any videos of yourself skating? You can PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

Also don't worry about everyone passing tests around you. You are on your own path and it doesn't matter when you pass the tests!
Hi thank you for the advice. I can send you videos but I’ll message you privately. I have taken videos from practice lately especially with my choctaws because those need the most work.

IceSlider

Hey - I'd echo Tavi, if you can't find a sports psychologist you could perhaps access an app? CBT is used a lot in sports psychology and is also available via books and apps. I've used CBT techiques in my own skating to counter my perfectionism, which works against me, and control my nerves. A dance coach is an excellent idea too but also remember, we do this for fun don't we? Sure it's serious stuff to practice and push through our barriers, to challenge ourselves to do more stuff and better but remember to keep the joy! :) When I get too serious I focus back on why I skate and why I love it so much, I sum this up as FREE, Flow, Rhythm and Expressive Ease and I remember that skating FREE is fun, getting to be more so takes a bit of work and for me, lots of fails but its worth it, progress happens, often why I least expect it! Keeping that in mind helps me, I hope it can you too. Enjoy your skating and I hope your new coach works out well for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information