Job search help... resume writer, etc.

Jayar

Hi everyone-- I am planning to look for a new job this year as I am ready to take the next step in my career. I am going to be looking for a service to help elevate my LinkedIn page, update my resume, and perhaps do some HeadHunting for me. I am a Project Manager, and I am looking to shift into the tech field. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Debbie S

Good luck!

I don't know if you need a service to do those things. There is a lot of info online about how to beef up your LinkedIn profile and resume....and most of it is consistent - for LinkedIn, join industry groups and post in discussion forums, share articles and blog posts, follow companies you want to work for, highlight accomplishments in your profile, etc - i'm not sure a service would be able to tell you anything different. Headhunters generally work for companies looking to hire, not for individual candidates. Actually, I would stay away from anyone who claims to find people jobs for a fee, those are usually scams. But make sure recruiters specializing in your industry have your resume, so they can contact you if an appropriate job comes across their desk.

D

Deleted member 221

I agree, save your $. For LinkedIn, add skills, get endorsements, get recommendations from people who know you in different capacities, preferably at least one manager, peer, and employee / subordinate and at least five in total. If you're looking to get into tech, play up tech-y things in your resume, and include at least one tech-y interest / hobby. Make sure your LinkedIn and your resume match. A lot of people like to customize their resume for each position, which is fine except if it contradicts LinkedIn, which pretty much employer will check. Consistency is key.

Devote your energy to networking, networking, networking. I HATE this part, but it's essential. Statistically, your next job is going to come from a connection of a connection. You most likely don't know anyone who's in tech and has a position suited to you -- otherwise, they'd have already hired you! Your connections will, however, be able to reach out to their connections on your behalf, and that's where you're likely to find the greatest odds of a match. Call your connections who currently or recently worked at tech companies, talk to them about what you're looking for, and see what comes out of it. I find that calling works best. If you e-mail, e-mail only to set up a call. Sending out resumes online is one of those activities that fields good but yields little. Devote 80+% of your time to networking. Aside from working your connections, check out local meetup groups or see if you attend some free or low-cost local conferences. Vendors often put on mini-conferences that are great for networking.

Recruiters can be useful IF they're in your field and well respected. Be careful with recruiters who present you all over the place, and then you're locked in with them (and locked in to having an employer pay their fee). When dealing with recruiters, I usually stipulate that they cannot present my resume without my express written consent.

Good luck! :kickass:

all_empty

I find it helpful to look at profiles of my peers and job descriptions of positions I want.

You may find that you're omitting a certain skill, or find a better way of stating a skill you have.

Keywords are very important on LinkedIn, so make sure yours include all of your technical and managerial skills.

Recruiters are a mixed bag. At one time I had two "executive" recruiters working with me, but every job I've taken I've found myself. Good luck!

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
@Jayar Where do you plan to look? I used to work for a Fortune 100 and might be able to help.

Jayar

I am very early in the process-- I have a few goals and projects that I want to complete in my current job, so I would say that I hope to begin looking seriously in the early fall. @Aceon6 : I am planning to look in Silicon Valley preferably as a remote employee with the ability to travel to the office as necessary. Hubby is planning to retire in 2 years or so, and then we would move closer, but I am an hour south of San Jose at the moment. I am laying the foundation now because I know that it can be a long and exhaustive process, and I want to be fully prepared to make a statement when the time comes to start the search.

And thank you to everyone offering advice. It's definitely been heard and appreciated. @Louis I am a member of a professional organization specific to my craft, and I have been invited into the local chapter, which I think might be limiting. I am actually thinking about joining the same organization's chapter in Silicon Valley to be able to check the pulse of the industry firsthand. I'm not worried about networking-- when I have to do it, I am quite successful.

Arnulf

I like job-searching platforms because it's quite convenient that most vacancies already have the approximate salary in the description.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information