Iwano confirms quad salchow for free skate next season

Sylvia

TBD
"Due to unusually high activity, we are temporarily unable to display this page. Please check the page again soon. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Moa IWANO is the 2016-17 Novice Ladies silver medalist and placed 15th at Junior Nationals in November 2016.

ETA (now that I can access the article) that Iwano also won the Adv. Novice Ladies I gold medal at the 2017 Bavarian Open this past February (won SP & landed 3Lz+3T & 3 other clean triples in her 2nd place FS) - article excerpts:
Iwano told me that she will be including a quadruple salchow in her free skate during the coming season when she debuts in the junior ranks.
“I will be using the quad salchow in my free skate this season,” Iwano stated. “I have been landing it regularly in practice and have confidence to do it in competition.”
Iwano, who is 160 cm and weighs 43 kg, said the quad salchow will be a stand-alone jump and not done in combination with another.
Iwano’s free skate for the coming season will be choreographed by two-time Olympian Akiko Suzuki, who set up the youngster’s short program last season to “The Little Prince.”
Iwano is coached by Utako Nagamitsu and former Olympian Takeshi Honda, and trains at the Kansai University rink in Takatsuki, Osaka Prefecture, with some of Japan’s top skaters.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Doesn't this statement hold true for all skaters and all jumps?

Yes, but one has more confidence that a skater who has a track record of consistency with a certain jump will land it again. Even 50-50 is better than nothing. Iwano does not have a track record landing the quad in competition.

Frida80

Yes, but one has more confidence that a skater who has a track record of consistency with a certain jump will land it again. Even 50-50 is better than nothing. Iwano does not have a track record landing the quad in competition.

Nathan didn't have a track record of landing a quad lutz or flip in competition. He needed to attempt it first before getting it consistent. I don't know when she will land her quad, but attempting it is next step.

hanca

Values her privacy
Well, the triple axel did not help Kihira this past season, so let's see how much the quad will help Iwano. There are two Russian ladies with clean quads posted on the internet and one with triple axel. All those jumps don't mean much until they are landed in competition together with clean or mostly clean program with all other jumps. Because landing one quad will not help if some of the remaining jumps were not landed.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Doesn't this statement hold true for all skaters and all jumps?

If the skater has a strong record of landing jumps in competition, it's less true for them than it would be for a relatively unknown skater with less competitive experience.

But your question reinforces my point, which is that the "news" posted above is not news, except that the author posted a link to his own story.

watchthis!!

Iwano does not have a track record landing the quad in competition.

Not yet! :cheer:

Well, the triple axel did not help Kihira this past season, so let's see how much the quad will help Iwano. There are two Russian ladies with clean quads posted on the internet and one with triple axel. All those jumps don't mean much until they are landed in competition together with clean or mostly clean program with all other jumps.

I understand that competiton is where it really matters. But if a person accomplishes something...it means something. Whether it is videotaped and posted online...or not. Makes me wonder how man skaters out there can do a quad, but don't have the money behind them to show it off... :(

But your question reinforces my point, which is that the "news" posted above is not news, except that the author posted a link to his own story.

The Japan Times is not a legitimate newspaper/source?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The Japan Times is not a legitimate newspaper/source?

I don't know about the newspaper, but the author frequently posts links to his own stories here under the guise of being "news". And several times these stories have been more speculation and prediction rather than being factual.

Sylvia

TBD
This thread was started back in May.

In any case, the first 4S attempt by a female skater in international competition in the new season was by someone making her JGP debut -- Alexandra Trusova of Russia (she landed it but the jump was called under-rotated <, giving it a base value of 8.1 - 1.37 GOE = 6.73 points). I've posted links to her programs in the Russian news thread here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ve-27-summer-2017.101295/page-27#post-5117455

Moa Iwano is scheduled to make her JGP debut in Salzburg, Austria next week -- best wishes to her! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information