It's that time again! Annual post-Canadians split thread (pairs and dance)

princeton123

Are Lajoie/Lagha planning to compete junior or senior internationally? I'm not surprised to hear that they want to move up domestically but thought they would spend another season on the JGP/have another shot at junior worlds.

I think in Canada you have to move up to seniors if you win the junior title. I assume they'll still want to compete as juniors internationally - they still have like 3 years left of eligibility.

emilieh

I think in Canada you have to move up to seniors if you win the junior title. I assume they'll still want to compete as juniors internationally - they still have like 3 years left of eligibility.

I was told that rule has been relaxed for ice dance because of the different short dances and the junior dance champs can choose to stay in juniors if they want to remain on the JGP. However, the last couple to win juniors without aging out (Edwards/Pang, I think?) chose to move up to seniors in Canada, even with the two different short dances.

nadioso

I was told that rule has been relaxed for ice dance because of the different short dances and the junior dance champs can choose to stay in juniors if they want to remain on the JGP. However, the last couple to win juniors without aging out (Edwards/Pang, I think?) chose to move up to seniors in Canada, even with the two different short dances.

I am sure they will move up to seniors domestically. and do JGP internationally.

Obviously they would compete junior during the summer though and put most of their focus on the junior programs. I could see them trying their senior programs at sectionals and I assume they will miss the challenge due to JGPF conflict.

The senior programs ( especially the short dance) will suffer at nationals due to a relative lack of competing them but they will have a rough idea of where they stand ( at least with the FS which would be close to the junior one )

Catherine M

Has anyone heard how Justine Brasseur is doing!?!? Any tryouts!? Just curious to know if we will be seeing her next season as a pairs skater.

So if I've got this correct, we have had two new pair teams form:

Choinard & Ostiguy
Schumacher & Daleman

barbarafan

New team - Dmitre Razgulajevs and Molly Lanaghan
Unsure what country they will be representing and at what level (guessing Canada as seniors)

what happened with Brianna del Maestro? I thought they were a team and training w/C.Lane?..who is Molly Lanaghan?

Sylvia

TBD
Delmaestro/Razgulajevs was posted as hearsay info back in February.

There was a Molly Lanaghan who skated junior pairs for GBR several years ago (with Jake Astill: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00014564.htm ) and then had a short partnership with Joseph Buckland in 2015-16 (don't know if they ever competed together? Show performance from December 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdR2dG1NmsA ) before Buckland teamed up with his current partner, Robynne Tweedale.

barbarafan

There was a Molly Lanaghan who skated junior pairs for GBR several years ago (with Jake Astill: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00014564.htm ) and then had a short partnership with Joseph Buckland in 2015-16 (don't know if they ever competed together? Show performance from December 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdR2dG1NmsA ) before Buckland teamed up with his current partner, Robynne Tweedale.

Thank-you...Carol Lane still has close ties with Britain so who knows. Was Dimitri born in Canada? If he was born in Great Britain and became a Canadian citizen he did not have to give up his GB citizenship to become a Canadian. He may have dual citizenship so he would just need a release from Canada to skate for Britain.

insideedgeua

This is definitely the same Molly.

barbarafan

Alexa Linden and Addison Voldeng have announced they are ending their partnership. He is retiring and she is unsure what will come next.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BR7eBDchouO/
So sorry about this. That was a horrific injury he had and although eventually he most likely can walk and do lots of things it is possible they have told him he will not have 100% mobility and strength. Wish him the best.

mag

So sorry about this. That was a horrific injury he had and although eventually he most likely can walk and do lots of things it is possible they have told him he will not have 100% mobility and strength. Wish him the best.

It was a terrible injury made worse by the fact that we can goes for years without ice on the streets around here. This was a terrible winter and a sad way for Addison to end his career.

barbarafan

It was a terrible injury made worse by the fact that we can goes for years without ice on the streets around here. This was a terrible winter and a sad way for Addison to end his career.
Ice this yr brings reality of global warming...(not fake news).usually you have a bit of rain in the spring after hard winter....this yr all through winter ..snowstorms..hot days w/lots of rain..then below zero the next day..So many people have fallen and broken bones. Physiotherapists having trouble keeping up.

Josh78

Two very nice people who showed the value of striving to continue your education through the struggle of also trying to attain your skating goals -- really bummed for them, but I know they'll be a success in their post-skating lives, no matter what they end up doing!

DFO

This one doesn't surprise me...I think this was his last year of junior eligibility.[/QUOTE said:
You are right. Cody Wong is no longer ISU Jr eligible.
If I'm right, this coming year(2017-18) will also be the last for, Trent Michaud, Lori-Ann Mate, Mathieu Ostiguy and Steven Lapointe. So, by the end of the coming pairs season, we will see many splits and/or moves to senior.

After that, there will be not many juniors left for 2018-19. Only the Boys-Eddy, Dawson /Reekie and some new couples like Justine Brasseur and ??? and Schumacher/Daleman. I know some others are looking for partners and some may have already found one.

On the other hand, I expect at least 9 pairs this year (2017-18) in Novice with some interersting battles in perspectives. I will drop names when the beginning of the competition season will be closer. There is not much interest in pairs actually except at the international level.

Reactions: fan

Catherine M

I'm not surprised that Knoblauch and Wong have split. She's got what 5 more years on junior eligibility left, that's another whole Olympic cycle to go through and potentially get international experience out on the JGP.

newskatefan2

Dawson/Reekie have split. One less then. I do not know more about this, all I know is that they split about 2 months ago.

Catherine M

Noticed that a few pairs skaters are off Ice Partner Search:

Allison Eby
Josh Venema
Pier-Alexandre Hudon

Any news on them? Any additional new pair teams that have formed at the junior/senior level? Just curious as it won't be long till the summer skating season gets started!

DE93

Noticed that a few pairs skaters are off Ice Partner Search:

Allison Eby
Josh Venema
Pier-Alexandre Hudon

Any news on them? Any additional new pair teams that have formed at the junior/senior level? Just curious as it won't be long till the summer skating season gets started!

Pier-Alexandre posted on FB that he was moving to NS to train with a girl there.

DFO

We may get a few surprises at the beginning of the season. There are many juniors I don't know with whom they will be...

I guess we will see in Junior Pairs
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud EO
Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland QC
Olivia Boys-Eddy / Mackenzie Boys-Eddy CO
Chloé Choinard / Mathieu Ostiguy
Chloé Panetta / Steven Lapointe QC
Alison Schumacher / Zachary Daleman
??? / Pier-Alexandre Hudon NS

But there is also some girls that were on IPS and I'm sure some of them found matches.
Justine Brasseur /
Tessa Jones / BC
Jamie Knoblauch /
Hannah Dawson /

Also, Keara Harney and Takara Dei, but I'm not sure if they will move in Jr or stay in Novice. May depends on the partner they found

Finally, I guess the boys that were/are on IPS will have no problems to find partners. So we should also get:
Christian Reekie EO
Matthew den Boer BC/YK
Josh Venema AB
Zachary Freedman
Kurtis Schreiber AB

and maybe Jeremy Burns QC who was in pre-novice last year but split. If he's back, he will need to be in Novice, or maybe Junior.

So no news in there, just a résumé of the couples we should expect... and a lot of interrogation. The good news: there should be plenty of junior pairs this year. Probably between 10 and 15 at the Challenge and the National.

If you got insights, let us know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information