ISU Skating Awards To Debut At 2020 Worlds

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
This is all by way of Nick McCarvel on Twitter:

ISU announces a new awards event, to replace the traditional gala, to close out Worlds in 2020 in Montreal 7 awards categories, interspersed with a show, held in conjunction with Art on Ice.

Awards are as follows: Most valuable skater, best costume, most entertaining program, best newcomer, best choreographer, best coach, lifetime achievement award.

"This is an exciting day for figure skating society," says agent/show producer Ari Zakarian. "This event will open so many doors for people to be celebrated in this sport" There is a detailed committee/selection process for awards that I'm sure the ISU will tweet out.

ETA to say reading Twitter while watching skating and baseball is as good an idea as posting after taking a little too much Ambien.

If there's a way to merge or eliminate this thread, feel free.

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
This is gonna be such a hot mess and I am totally here for it. :swoon:

from the press release:
bringing a glamorous finish to the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020. Guests, VIPs and ISU Skating Awards nominees will arrive on the red carpet at the famous Bell Center in Montreal.

Love this. They better make the red carpet arrivals part of the coverage. Let's get Rippon to do the interviews.

peibeck

Simply looking
Is this replacing the Sunday gala, or in addition to it? I mean how long can it take to give out a few awards? Why don't they do this at the skater event after the final championship is decided?

snoopy

Ultimately, I don’t think this event will be a disaster nor consequential. Maybe it brings more visability to the sport maybe not. It’s a sports award banquet with public voting. I wouldn’t actually want to sit through that as an audience member.

Debbie S

It sounds like there will be a show but by Art on Ice....will WC medalists actually skate? This seems like a desperate attempt to get more people to pay attention to the gala. But the current audience - the diehard fans who pay $$$$ for tickets - want to see the medalists perform, not a different show. Art on Ice looked like a great show when D/W were in it, but if I'm going to a Worlds gala, I want to see the skaters who competed.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
It sounds like there will be a show but by Art on Ice....will WC medalists actually skate? This seems like a desperate attempt to get more people to pay attention to the gala. But the current audience - the diehard fans who pay $$$$ for tickets - want to see the medalists perform, not a different show. Art on Ice looked like a great show when D/W were in it, but if I'm going to a Worlds gala, I want to see the skaters who competed.

That was my thought too--people who shell out the money for these tickets (I looked at prices for Montreal and laughed so much) want to see the medalists again. They would go to Art on Ice or SOI if they wanted to see the retired show skater set. It should be a last chance to celebrate the skaters that did well at that event.

I'm pretty much team "this is not going to end well" for this whole thing though. What could possibly go wrong having a popularity contest with silly categories that the fans vote on?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information