Interview with Elena Ilinykh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbird

That man whose name shall not be called is the vilest most disgusting man I've ever witnessed in the sport. He was seen "lusting after little Lena" when she was only 15 yrs old. The fact that they were not rescued from his clutches when this began is an indictment on the Russian Skating Federation and not only regarding her but any other skater that was abused in this way.
Edit: Enough.

Mad for Skating

Some posters think that Morozov "groomed her", and that's not true. Old info had to be told to clarify the issues.

Regardless of how they got involved in the relationship, she was still a minor. A 35+ year old man sleeping with a 17 year old girl is statuatory rape, even if she consents.

I am, in fact, a 17 year old girl. If I asked a 30 year old man to sleep with me, it is his responsibility to turn me down because he should know better than to have relations with a minor. Any decent adult knows it’s wrong.

Also, please don’t use Duhamel and Marcotte to defend Morozov. It is a completely different power dynamic. Duhamel was 29 when she married Marcotte; Ilinykh hadn’t even graduated from high school.

But she was at the time already 20, not a virgin, somewhat impulsive and sensitive, so... not exactly a perfect grooming material, like underaged young girls.. There is a slice of her participation in all this.. :)

As other posters have pointed out, Elena was about 17 when things started with Morozov. By law, she was a child. (I believe the legal driving age in Russia is 18, so she was not even old enough to drive a car).

First of all, I firmly believe that a young woman’s sex life is none of our business, and I think it’s very rude to bring that up here. Also, her virginity doesn’t change the fact that Morozov took advantage of her. There is nothing wrong with a teenage girl who has slept with teenage boys. She has the right to sleep with as many boys as she wants, as long as they’re not breaking the law. The problem is the 30-something man who thinks it’s okay to chase after minors.

Just because a girl is not a 13-year-old girl who’s never been kissed does not mean she can’t be a victim of predatory older men. Even smart women in their 20s or 30s can experience this, especially when the man is in a position of power (such as a coach). Think of all the adult women who experience sexual harassment in the workforce. Are their stories not valid because they are not naive little children?

Just had to get that out in the open. Now can we please stop blaming women for men’s inappropriate behavior? Thanks.

Bigbird

Regardless of how they got involved in the relationship, she was still a minor. A 35+ year old man sleeping with a 17 year old girl is statuatory rape, even if she consents.

I am, in fact, a 17 year old girl. If I asked a 30 year old man to sleep with me, it is his responsibility to turn me down because he should know better than to have relations with a minor. Any decent adult knows it’s wrong.

Also, please don’t use Duhamel and Marcotte to defend Morozov. It is a completely different power dynamic. Duhamel was 29 when she married Marcotte; Ilinykh hadn’t even graduated from high school.

As other posters have pointed out, Elena was about 17 when things started with Morozov. By law, she was a child. (I believe the legal driving age in Russia is 18, so she was not even old enough to drive a car).

First of all, I firmly believe that a young woman’s sex life is none of our business, and I think it’s very rude to bring that up here. Also, her virginity doesn’t change the fact that Morozov took advantage of her. There is nothing wrong with a teenage girl who has slept with teenage boys. She has the right to sleep with as many boys as she wants, as long as they’re not breaking the law. The problem is the 30-something man who thinks it’s okay to chase after minors.

Just because a girl is not a 13-year-old girl who’s never been kissed does not mean she can’t be a victim of predatory older men. Even smart women in their 20s or 30s can experience this, especially when the man is in a position of power (such as a coach). Think of all the adult women who experience sexual harassment in the workforce. Are their stories not valid because they are not naive little children?

Just had to get that out in the open. Now can we please stop blaming women for men’s inappropriate behavior? Thanks.
I respect this response. Thank you so very much.

hanca

Values her privacy
It depends which legal system you use. For example, in the UK, statutory rape is about sexual activity with children under 13. Age of consent is at 16, so a child over 13 but under 16 would be called sexual activity with a child (which is not quite the same as the statutory rape). And if Elena was 17, she could have sex with anyone she wanted; it would be legally considered ok to have sex with Morozov. I definitely think that it wasn’t ethical because he was in the position of power, but according to the law in many countries, it definitely wasn’t considered the statutory rape.

Bigbird

It depends which legal system you use. For example, in the UK, statutory rape is about sexual activity with children under 13. Age of consent is at 16, so a child over 13 but under 16 would be called sexual activity with a child (which is not quite the same as the statutory rape). And if Elena was 17, she could have sex with anyone she wanted; it would be legally considered ok to have sex with Morozov. I definitely think that it wasn’t ethical because he was in the position of power, but according to the law in many countries, it definitely wasn’t considered the statutory rape.

Technicalities of the law don't excuse questionably immoral behaviour. She was still an impressionable teenager and of course the prevailing attitude was what a stupid girl, rather than addressing the real issue which was Morozov. We for some reason tend to treat women as second class and undeserving of empathy in these sort of issues and bend over backwards to empathize with boys, I am not saying that in cases it's not warranted, but when it's the status quo you really begin to feel for our young girls and women in general. Katsalapov by all accounts was an immature emotionally abusive hothead and Morozov was just your typical sexual deviant, it must have been hellish for Ilinykh. Hoping her latter years will be much better than her former. She surely has never looked more serene and happy.

Mad for Skating

I respect this response. Thank you so very much.

Thank you so much. I just felt so frustrated with certain posters trying to blame Elena to justify Morozov’s behavior. I have zero tolerance for the “well, what was she wearing?” approach to dealing with sexual misconduct. A girl shouldn’t have to be a “perfect angel” to deserve basic decency from adult men. I think there’s a huge double standard going on here.

If we’re really going to measure a person’s value based on their perceived chastity, then maybe we should be judging Morozov, not Elena. I mean, I don’t see anyone shaming him for not being a virgin...and call me crazy, but I’m willing to bet that he’s not. Just saying.

I know the laws are different in certain countries; I was just going by the law in my own country. But as you said, it’s still very unethical, and that was the point I was trying to make.

jenniferlyon

Thank you so much. I just felt so frustrated with certain posters trying to blame Elena to justify Morozov’s behavior. I have zero tolerance for the “well, what was she wearing?” approach to dealing with sexual misconduct. A girl shouldn’t have to be a “perfect angel” to deserve basic decency from adult men. I think there’s a huge double standard going on here.

Morozov's inappropriate relationships with teenaged girls have been well-documented over the years. For some reason, he has never been held accountable for his behavior, no matter what country he is in or where his victims are from. (Yes, I am calling them victims because that's what they are.)

Mad for Skating

Morozov's inappropriate relationships with teenaged girls have been well-documented over the years. For some reason, he has never been held accountable for his behavior, no matter what country he is in or where his victims are from. (Yes, I am calling them victims because that's what they are.)

Agree. There’s a strong trend going here. Let’s not forget that after Ilinykh, he married Davankova only a few weeks after she turned 18. (Adam Rippon talked about some of Morozov’s problematic behavior in his book, but that’s a topic for another thread). Clearly, the man has a problem, and I don’t know how he keeps getting away with it. IMO, SafeSport should be looking into this, but I don’t know what they could do about it.

That’s why I find posters comparing this to coach-student relationships like Duhamel/Marcotte to be so offensive, since there’s a big difference between a coach who serially dates or marries underage/barely legal-age students and a coach who gradually develops a relationship with an adult student. This isn’t a question of “is it ethical for coaches and students to date?”, it’s “why hasn’t anyone done something about this creep?”

hanca

Values her privacy
Agree. There’s a strong trend going here. Let’s not forget that after Ilinykh, he married Davankova only a few weeks after she turned 18. (Adam Rippon talked about some of Morozov’s problematic behavior in his book, but that’s a topic for another thread). Clearly, the man has a problem, and I don’t know how he keeps getting away with it. IMO, SafeSport should be looking into this, but I don’t know what they could do about it.

That’s why I find posters comparing this to coach-student relationships like Duhamel/Marcotte to be so offensive, since there’s a big difference between a coach who serially dates or marries underage/barely legal-age students and a coach who gradually develops a relationship with an adult student. This isn’t a question of “is it ethical for coaches and students to date?”, it’s “why hasn’t anyone done something about this creep?”
I am sorry but I cannot see any difference between what Morozov is doing and what Marcotte did.
As long as Morozov didn’t sleep with a woman who is under the age of consent, he didn’t do anything legally wrong. Yes, I do think what he is doing is morally wrong, but the law is not reinforcing that. And if we are morally objecting against him having younger partners who are dependent on him professionally, then we should object to the same from Marcotte. After all, he was also in the position of power towards Duhamel, so I am not sure how can someone think that it is any different? The fact that he married her and they seem to be happy doesn’t change the fact that he got into relationship where he was in position of power towards her.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
"I speak of taste rather than law." ~Dowager Countess

LOL, I don't think I've posted on this topic in this thread, so I have no idea if that quote is completely on point, but I can't pass up a chance to use it.

Tinami Amori

Russia's age of consent is 16 (for sex and marriage to clarify) Driving a car is another story, it affects life and safety of others (other drivers, pedestrians, passengers in cars and of the driver). Having sex or marrying - affects only these two.

Most of Europe has age of consent 16-17. In Canada - 16. In USA by state - 16-18. In Italy it is 14. Many other countries vary between 13-14-15. It is a fact.

Now the issue of which law to apply, USA's or Russia's. If we are to use Russian law (hypothetically) as it is at 16, then Elena is one year above the age of consent, IF in fact they started an affair when she was 17 (that is to be disputed below). But gazillion of times, specifically on FSU, to my previous comments about the Russian laws, i'be been scolded that it's the local current residence determines the law, so i must use USA where Morozov usually spends time in USA.

Well darling, don't choke - The New Jersey Age of Consent is 16 years old.

But Elena and Morozov did not start an affair when she was 17. She was 17 in 2011. The team transferred to Morozov in the 2nd half of 2011. Elena/Nikita were lovers then and continued to be lovers into early 2013. Then they were having disagreements for a short while, and then Elena started giving winks to Morozov and then the affair. She was already 20 then, or even if 19, either way she and Morozov were not illegal by laws of many lands...... :D

... было, помимо прочих преимуществ, просто и удобно общаться: несмотря на двукратную разницу в возрасте (Ильиных в 2014 году было 20 лет, Морозову — 39)
.. besides various conveniences in other activities (as a coach and skater) found it easy and convenient to communicate, besides the almost 2x age difference (she was 20, he was 39).

mjb52

"The Age of consent is raised to 18 if the older partner is a parent, guardian, sibling, a relative closer than a 4th cousin, or an individual with some authority over the younger party (for example, a teacher or the victim's boss)."

As to some of the other content of your post, even if it were our business, which it's not, I really shudder to think on what basis you claim to know the intimate details of a relationship between two teenagers nearly a decade ago.

Tinami Amori

"The Age of consent is raised to 18 if the older partner is a parent, guardian, sibling, a relative closer than a 4th cousin, or an individual with some authority over the younger party (for example, a teacher or the victim's boss)."

As to some of the other content of your post, even if it were our business, which it's not, I really shudder to think on what basis you claim to know the intimate details of a relationship between two teenagers nearly a decade ago.
First of all "raised to 18 if" applies to New Jersey in the info i listed and not to Russia or whole USA. Second, guardian is a legal term, someone the parents or the law entrusts the underaged person to (in absence of parents or relatives). A sports coach who spends few ours a day with an athlete is not a legal guardian.

Do people know that practically on all Elena's trips to USA she was accompanied by her Grand Mother, who even lived with Elena for 2 years in Michigan from 2006 to 2008.

It is GM who was officially Elena's legal guardian while they are outside of Russia, and Elena's mother gave her the Annual Letter of Guardianship which was used to let them cross the passport control when leaving Russia.

Plus...... At 17 (2011) Elena could not have had an affair with Morozov..... by facts (i listed above).

How do i know all this? Elena's biography articles by her own effort. and sometimes Wiki. Why are you asking? i listed the links for some sources ... :D

Morozov is not a child molester. He is a busy guy and dates the next girl who is working with him at the moment. He honestly believes in these affairs and that he is in love and that's why he marries them each time they agree. He knows he is attractive to women and uses it (are there many men who don't?). He has no intent to break these woman up and is not dominating and cruel. He is not well educated or aware of psychological implications and has no life other than skating. His lovers and wives are usually also skaters. He is immature but it does not make him a douchebag or a scum. And most of his women are "fast ones".

SL Bourne - nude calendar etc.
Gedevenashvilly - likes boys in general and Morozov.. :cool:
Elena Grushina - a very sultry lady on ice and off, and she left her husband because of Morozov.
Miki Ando - not a shy one when it comes to men, even having babies out of wedlock. She and Morozov were planning a wedding, he asked to marry her, but Ando's family forbade and broke them up.

Davankova - no words...... her parents approved this wedding, she did not want to be a wife after a while, and after the divorce ...... that girl has no stops now and she is vulgare... :D
He loved Davankova and wanted the relationship to last. He accommodated her every wish, to travel to luxury destinations, constant shopping spree..... He offered her even to never work and to do what she likes if she stays his wife, he asked her to have a child (something that many russian women wish a man would offer). He was pretty much a puppy in her hands...

I am good friends with one european sport journalists he spent a lot of time at the rinks where Morozov coached. Once he told me in confidence (so i won't name him) "I just don't understand these russian teen-age girls... what do they see in Morozov.. they all try to get him to take them out and sleep with them as if it is some sign of quality to have him take them to bed. Two girls in front of me, thinking probably i don't speak russian, jokingly told Nikolay that he can have them both for the night if he shows them a good time in the evening".

My only two problems with Morozov are:
  • he must be dumb as a door bell, being interested in girls 20 years younger than him...
  • he said something horrible to members of Japanese federation...

Last edited:

Bigbird

Russia's age of consent is 16 (for sex and marriage to clarify) Driving a car is another story, it affects life and safety of others (other drivers, pedestrians, passengers in cars and of the driver). Having sex or marrying - affects only these two.

Most of Europe has age of consent 16-17. In Canada - 16. In USA by state - 16-18. In Italy it is 14. Many other countries vary between 13-14-15. It is a fact.

Now the issue of which law to apply, USA's or Russia's. If we are to use Russian law (hypothetically) as it is at 16, then Elena is one year above the age of consent, IF in fact they started an affair when she was 17 (that is to be disputed below). But gazillion of times, specifically on FSU, to my previous comments about the Russian laws, i'be been scolded that it's the local current residence determines the law, so i must use USA where Morozov usually spends time in USA.

But Elena and Morozov did not start an affair when she was 17. She was 17 in 2011. The team transferred to Morozov in the 2nd half of 2011. Elena/Nikita were lovers then and continued to be lovers into early 2013. Then they were having disagreements for a short while, and then Elena started giving winks to Morozov and then the affair. She was already 20 then, or even if 19, either way she and Morozov were not illegal by laws of many lands...... :D

... было, помимо прочих преимуществ, просто и удобно общаться: несмотря на двукратную разницу в возрасте (Ильиных в 2014 году было 20 лет, Морозову — 39)
.. besides various conveniences in other activities (as a coach and skater) found it easy and convenient to communicate, besides the almost 2x age difference (she was 20, he was 39).

Wow, this sounds like so much fantasy and science fiction rolled into one. Did we really need to go here? I need a bath and at least a 2 month fast from all things Russian Figure skating. Ughh!

Mad for Skating

He’s been sort of hidden away in Perm, hasn’t he?

He moved to Perm in 2018 to train Stolbova (who he proceeded to date). Now that they’ve apparently broken up, I’m not sure if he’s still there or if he moved back to Moscow or Jersey.

I am sorry but I cannot see any difference between what Morozov is doing and what Marcotte did.
As long as Morozov didn’t sleep with a woman who is under the age of consent, he didn’t do anything legally wrong. Yes, I do think what he is doing is morally wrong, but the law is not reinforcing that. And if we are morally objecting against him having younger partners who are dependent on him professionally, then we should object to the same from Marcotte. After all, he was also in the position of power towards Duhamel, so I am not sure how can someone think that it is any different? The fact that he married her and they seem to be happy doesn’t change the fact that he got into relationship where he was in position of power towards her.

Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree here. It’s not like Morozov just went through a midlife crisis and dated one woman who’s 10 years younger than him but of legal age. He’s got a long history of pursuing his (very young) students, then breaking up with them, whereas Marcotte does not have that kind of history. There’s also usually a big difference in maturity between a 17-year-old girl and a woman in her late 20s.

I really hate the way Morzov's serial creepy behaviour towards many many many women and girls is always excused by invoking Meghan and Bruno.

I agree 100%. From all I’ve seen, Meagan and Bruno’s relationship seems to be an exception to the rule of “older coach in position of power over young skater”. It’s not even an Ingo and Aljona situation. A 40 year old marrying a 30 year old isn’t creepy at all, whereas a 40 year old marrying an 18 year old feels very creepy to me.

Mad for Skating

The fact that you have such an invested interest in the private lives of young skaters is highly concerning to me.
Okay, for argument’s sake, let’s just agree that Elena was slightly above the age of consent. Fair enough. But age of consent and basic human decency are two different things.

Age of consent applies if a 16-year-old girl wants to sleep with a 19-year-old guy, not if a 40-year-old man wants to justify sleeping with a teenager. Just because it’s legal doesn’t make it right.

Mad for Skating

Morozov is not a child molester. He is a busy guy and dates the next girl who is working with him at the moment. He honestly believes in these affairs and that he is in love and that's why he marries them each time they agree. He knows he is attractive to women and uses it (are there many men who don't?). He has no intent to break these woman up and is not dominating and cruel. He is not well educated or aware of psychological implications and has no life other than skating. His lovers and wives are usually also skaters. He is immature but it does not make him a douchebag or a scum. And most of his women are "fast ones".

If you’re so concerned with Morozov’s love life, I strongly recommend you read Adam Rippon’s autobiography. He gives a pretty detailed account of how Morozov emotionally abused and manipulated one of his student-girlfriends. He is not some helpless, puppy-eyed schoolboy in love; he is a very smart man who knows what to say to make women fall for him. I think you are seriously underestimating him if you believe he’s just a dumb playboy who just likes to hook up with beautiful girls for fun. There’s more to it.

SL Bourne - nude calendar etc.
Gedevenashvilly - likes boys in general and Morozov.. :cool:
Elena Grushina - a very sultry lady on ice and off, and she left her husband because of Morozov.
Miki Ando - not a shy one when it comes to men, even having babies out of wedlock. She and Morozov were planning a wedding, he asked to marry her, but Ando's family forbade and broke them up.

Davankova - no words...... her parents approved this wedding, she did not want to be a wife after a while, and after the divorce ...... that girl has no stops now and she is vulgare... :D
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vQq79QwKJG0/maxresdefault.jpg https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RwiwqHZI73w/hqdefault.jpg He loved Davankova and wanted the relationship to last. He accommodated her every wish, to travel to luxury destinations, constant shopping spree..... He offered her even to never work and to do what she likes if she stays his wife, he asked her to have a child (something that many russian women wish a man would offer). He was pretty much a puppy in her hands...

I see you’ve taken the stance that all of Morozov’s women are “tramps” and he’s just the innocent man who can’t resist all these women falling at his feet. You seem eager to blame and judge these women based on very little solid evidence.

As far as I can tell, none of Morozov’s women have done anything absurd or trashy like you want to convince us. They’re young, beautiful women and they shouldn’t have to walk around covered up like nuns to earn some basic respect. Honestly, it doesn’t matter if they were Playboy bunnies - it doesn’t excuse Morozov’s behavior.

A question: have any of Morozov’s wives/girlfriends been married 4 times? I find it ironic that they’re being labeled as tramps when they seem to be a lot less “promiscuous” than Mr. Morozov himself. Does anyone else smell misogyny around here?

Also, the idea that Davankova was so “lucky” is ridiculous. Did it ever occur to you that not every girl wants to be a mother at 19? It seems to me that she got swept up in the fantasy of being married to a sugar daddy who would take her around the world, and obviously she wouldn’t want that fun, carefree life to stop. I don’t blame her one bit.

By the way, I can’t say whether he truly loved Davankova, but he was apparently coping with the divorce well enough that he started dating Stolbova a few months after they separated. Just saying.

hanca

Values her privacy
Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree here. It’s not like Morozov just went through a midlife crisis and dated one woman who’s 10 years younger than him but of legal age. He’s got a long history of pursuing his (very young) students, then breaking up with them, whereas Marcotte does not have that kind of history. There’s also usually a big difference in maturity between a 17-year-old girl and a woman in her late 20s.

I agree 100%. From all I’ve seen, Meagan and Bruno’s relationship seems to be an exception to the rule of “older coach in position of power over young skater”. It’s not even an Ingo and Aljona situation. A 40 year old marrying a 30 year old isn’t creepy at all, whereas a 40 year old marrying an 18 year old feels very creepy to me.
Bottom line is, dating a younger person (or even twenty of them), if she is passed the age of consent, is not legally wrong. So the only objection one can have is a moral one. I don’t find it morally wrong to date someone who is significantly older or younger, if they are old enough to consent, but I do find it non ethical dating someone whose career depends on you. And then it doesn’t really matter if someone did it only once, or if there were twenty of such women. So as far as I am concerned, it is hypocritical to be shouting about Morozov but condoning when the same is happening somewhere else. And you can say that Marcotte loves Meagan, but how can you prove that Morozov didn’t love every one of his past relationships?

starrynight

In many countries (including mine) a coach having sex with or grooming a pupil under the age of 18 will result in criminal charges and probably jail. I'm sure all the people making excuses for Morozov wouldn't want a school teacher doing that to their 17 year old daughter at high school.

Ehh so maybe other countries don't protect young people as much. That's probably something these countries need to work on. Loads of stuff that is terrible for children is 'legal' in different countries. Doesn't make it right. Often the rights of people without a voice - especially children - are the last to be considered. There's a lot of powerful people around the world who have a vested interest in keeping ages of consent loose and low.

Last edited:

Cherub721

YEAH!
I wonder, will there ever be a thread about Elena Ilinykh that doesn't devolve into this exact same debate? As if this is the only thing interesting about her. I guess this situation from when she was a teenager really will haunt her forever.

starrynight

I wonder, will there ever be a thread about Elena Ilinykh that doesn't devolve into this exact same debate? As if this is the only thing interesting about her. I guess this situation from when she was a teenager really will haunt her forever.

I think it's because it was a pivotal factor in her skating career stopping dead right after the rapturous success of Sochi.

I mean imagine an Ilinykh consistently on top of her game with a coach that could control her and Katsalapov. The whole 2014 - 2018 quad would have been very very very different. It's that wonder of what could have been.

hanca

Values her privacy
In many countries (including mine) a coach having sex with or grooming a pupil under the age of 18 will result in criminal charges and probably jail. I'm sure all the people making excuses for Morozov wouldn't want a school teacher doing that to their 17 year old daughter at high school.
I know it sucks, but it doesn’t really matter what happens in many countries, if they didn’t do legally anything wrong according to the place where they lived.
In many countries is it illegal to have several wives and yet you have to accept that in other parts of the world men have several wives and legally are not doing anything wrong.
I do agree that I find it morally/ethically wrong to be having sex with someone dependent on you, but again, it is based on our moral values and everyone has different moral values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information