How to pronounce Chinese skaters' names

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
that's so very helpful!

(now I need one for.. just about every other language, but especially Japanese, Korean and Russian skaters. Maybe I should upload a video on how to pronounce Nikolaj Sorensen, but maybe he now prefers it in a French Canadian accent :D )

livetoskate

Actually my sister says if anyone knows the commentators to send them the videos. She gets upset when sportscasters murder Chinese names.
On the other hand, many Chinese Americans don't even pronounce their last names the correct way, instead defaulting to whatever the average American would pronounce the name to make it easier on everyone. E.g. Chen should really be pronounced like "Chun."

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
On the other hand, many Chinese Americans don't even pronounce their last names the correct way, instead defaulting to whatever the average American would pronounce the name to make it easier on everyone. E.g. Chen should really be pronounced like "Chun."
Alysa does pronounce it the way @canbelto's sister says it on the video. She and Audrey Shin did an IG live last month and they were talking about how announcers/people often mispronounce their names - at one point Alysa very clearly enunciated how her last name is pronounced.

sheetz

I don't think I've ever heard Chinese Americans pronounce their family names as they would in their native tongue (including correct intonation). The only time they use native pronunciation is when they are actually speaking in that language, in which case someone like Nathan would use his Chinese name, Chen Wei.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information