How Skaters' Brains are Different than Ours (NYT)

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I wish I could read this. It sounds very interesting.

ETA Nevermind, I figured it out :rofl: it WAS interesting! I never thought of how our brains compensate for things, like skating.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I think I understand in a way about what this means. Around March of 2022, I could no longer use a walker in the ordinary way that a person would use one. It had to do with the situation of me no longer being able to put weight on left leg and foot. The PTs at the nursing facility started working with me regarding that.

I had to learn how to hop with my right leg while using the walker. To their surprise, I adapted to that condition within a couple of weeks. It had to with my brain adjusting and my equilibrium. They told me that I had very good balance, and it was something that usually took a lot of time to acquire. They had me walk with the walker every day, and I was finally able to make it to my room which was at the end of a very long hall equivalent to around 150 ft. away.

Of course, I will always have to use my wheelchair and I still have very good balance. However, it is true that my brain had to adjust in order for me to hop with one leg using the walker.

Scroll to the section entitled Dizziness and Vertigo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information