Home reno/redecorating support group

Debbie S

You could get one or two cabinets with glass/paned doors, if you have some decorative/antique dishes or other objects you want to display. They would still be enclosed, so minimal dust, but can be seen from the outside.

vesperholly

I've seen a few kitchen renos on reddit where they got rid of upper cabinets in favor of shelving. It always looks super cluttered and messy to me. It always seems like it's guys who like the open shelves.

quartz

scratching at the light
My kitchen has one of those ironing boards in a shallow cupboard. Its smack dab in the middle of the wall and there is nothing else on that wall. WHEN we reno the kitchen, I plan on removing the ironing board and putting display shelves in there instead so I can display my Jadeite collection that has been sitting in a box for several years.

KCC

I'm getting ready to start my kitchen remodel next month. Just signed the contract a few days ago and am awaiting the schedule. I don't know how I'm going to deal without a kitchen for 5 weeks, but at least we'll maintain a refrigerator, slow cooker, toaster oven and microwave, and maybe my rice cooker. I'm expecting a LOT to f dust, so I'm going out to Goodwill to buy some old sheets to keep everything covered.

I'll have a few glass-front cabinets to break up all of the wood, but the glass has some texture, so it is translucent. I really hope it looks nice when it all comes together. My ability to envision the final product is not very good.

KCC

I'm not on any photo sharing sites, but maybe I can get on one before then. My bath remodel last year turned out great, so I'm hopeful. I just hope that my broken wrist completely heals by then so that I can pack up and keep the rest of the house functioning while the kitchen is torn up.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Can someone recommend a good closet-organizing company? I can't do it myself with parts from The Container Store because I'm only going to have a few days to ready my condo before moving back into it. (And I'm so spatially-challenged it's not funny.)

California Closets has huge inventory and measures and installs but they're expensive!

alexikeguchi

The Container Store works with Elfa for customization and installation. I used them for my coop reno, and they worked out very well. They weren't inexpensive either but were certainly a better deal than California Closets.

vesperholly

I'd look for a local indie organizer or small company. They will design, price and install. If you're moving to Boston, I know someone.

Lizziebeth

Can someone recommend a good closet-organizing company? I can't do it myself with parts from The Container Store because I'm only going to have a few days to ready my condo before moving back into it. (And I'm so spatially-challenged it's not funny.)

California Closets has huge inventory and measures and installs but they're expensive!
I had two closet systems break down on me so I splurged on California Closets for my big walk in closet. I bought their basic bare bones adjustable shelving and had it installed. No fancy drawers or finishes, just shelves and some racks of different heights for hanging stuff. I absolutely love it. Almost every item of clothing I own is in that closet. Best money I ever spent, and when I sell this place, potential buyers will want it!

BaileyCatts

DYI'ers help please! :D

My deck is a wreck and I hired to come stain it. They said they could knock some $$$ off the cost if I supply the stain so I'm like hell yes! How hard is it to order deck stain?! Who knew there was 11tyhundred types of stain and I have no idea what to buy. :shuffle: I sent this link to the place and asked them to tell me, exactly, if this is the right product. Here is what I said and here is what they said ... and I don't understand her answer and still don't know if this stuff is correct (check the link).

......"Can you please tell me if this link is the exact/correct product that I am supposed to buy and if it is isn’t, can you tell me exactly what it is I am supposed to get?" .......

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Pr...ed-Wood-and-Concrete-Coating-501505/301426564

She answered me, "Yes it is. The best way to decide what stain works for you is to read a few reviews. This is more of a opinion as there are a lot of good brands of stain. I would prefer a non transparent dark stain (reason is it hides flawes) vs Deck Over personally so there is plenty of information to read on the internet as far as reviews etc.".

Uhm, okay. Can't you just tell me exactly what to buy instead just telling me "go read reviews". How can I read reviews if I don't know what I am looking for and there's so many different types? :wideeyes:. This DeckOver stuff has good reviews. What the hell is a "non transparent dark stain"? I've looked at everything on Home Depot and nothing says "non transparent". I have a light blue vinyl siding house, the old color of the deck was light gray ... this color looks close.

If you had a huge deck (it spans the entire length of my house) that had light blue vinyl siding ... would you buy what is in the link? And seriously ... what the heck does "non transparent stain" mean because I find nothing that says "non transparent stain"? :shuffle: They are closed now and I can't call them tomorrow cause I have a training all day. Can anyone help?

pat c

Non transparent stain means it's a solid colour. So when you stain it grey for instance, it will look grey like paint and it doesn't soak into the wood.

What kind of deck do you have? what is on it now?

BaileyCatts

Its a just like standard type wood deck most people have, although its about 25 years old. Guy thinks the wood is holding up great and is just going to replace a few boards because the base is still in good condition (and I ain't gonna pay for a new deck so that ended that discussion :p). I don't know what product is on it now but whatever the last guy used it was clearly crap because I had this done about 3 years ago and its so flaked and peeling and beat up from weather it looks like it hasn't been stained for 20 years. If you looked at my house from the back you would think its a deserted house the deck looks so bad. :eek: This guy is going to prep it as much as he can to scrap that old stuff off. I just don't understand what the difference is with all the different types of product. I thought "stain is stain" but apparently that ain't true.

So she is saying I should be picking a darker color than the light gray, and get the "solid wood stain" instead of the
"textured wood stain"? I'm worried about the color matching since my house is light blue. And it can't just be done in like a clear coat because there's layers of colored stuff on it so he said he can't get it down to the bare wood to use clear, but will get off as much as he can. I don't want to pay to put on a new deck (unless I win the lottery). I just want it to last until I can move into a retirement community. :lol:

pat c

Ok get something like this.........

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....AkgPEALw_wcB&dclid=CNOM9tPKx9oCFRIIfQodIxsAZQ

Benjamin Moore makes deck stain products......cil........all of them do.

You want a solid stain (like a paint, not translucent or see through). Pick the colour you want.......there is a lot to choose from. :) But if it's grey now, pick a darker grey as per what your deck person is suggesting. Go to your local hardware and say you want a solid stain product for your deck, preferably grey. They'll know.

I just use thompson's water sealer on our deck as I didn't want a color, I just wanted to protect it. But they have a nifty little bar graph to show you the difference in opacity:

http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/Waterproofing-products/waterproofing-wood-stains

BaileyCatts

Thanks! :D Man, who knew there were so many different shades of grey! :eek: I'm just worried about it clashing with the house since the house is light blue if I go too dark, that's why I like the Cape Cod Grey color. But I guess the darker color would help hide the flaws depending on how much of the old stuff he can get off the deck. I just hope it don't clash. :yikes:

quartz

scratching at the light
Grey can be really tricky - it ranges from the browny, taupey greys, to the bluey greys. Make sure you choose one with the blue undertones.

BaileyCatts

So color conscious people ... if your house is light blue vinyl, which of these two colors since it needs to be a darker shade than the one I like (which is a very pale gray):

Iron Wood:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Pr...terproofing-Stain-and-Sealer-501101/302354660

Magnetic Gray:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Pr...ERCH=REC-_-rv_nav_plp_rr-_-NA-_-302354809-_-N

I looked at the colors in the "blue" category, but the darker ones are too 'blue' so I think I need to stick with gray since that was the previous colors. Although Iron Wood does come from the "blue" category. :lol:

I'm thinking the Iron Wood since colors usually dry darker (right?) but I've been staring at them so long they practically look the same anymore. :wideeyes: I'm just so worried about color clash!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
They look pretty similar to me and I’m excruciatingly color-conscious. Go with the lighter one is my advice.

I did find a reasonably priced closet company in north Virginia but since I’m now doing two master bedroom closets, it’s $2500 anyway. :(

And those tenant girls who drove large studs in the wall to hold up heavy shelves get to pay for spackling and painting. :angryfire

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Its a just like standard type wood deck most people have, although its about 25 years old. Guy thinks the wood is holding up great and is just going to replace a few boards because the base is still in good condition (and I ain't gonna pay for a new deck so that ended that discussion :p). I don't know what product is on it now but whatever the last guy used it was clearly crap because I had this done about 3 years ago and its so flaked and peeling and beat up from weather it looks like it hasn't been stained for 20 years. If you looked at my house from the back you would think its a deserted house the deck looks so bad. :eek: This guy is going to prep it as much as he can to scrap that old stuff off. I just don't understand what the difference is with all the different types of product. I thought "stain is stain" but apparently that ain't true.

So she is saying I should be picking a darker color than the light gray, and get the "solid wood stain" instead of the
"textured wood stain"? I'm worried about the color matching since my house is light blue. And it can't just be done in like a clear coat because there's layers of colored stuff on it so he said he can't get it down to the bare wood to use clear, but will get off as much as he can. I don't want to pay to put on a new deck (unless I win the lottery). I just want it to last until I can move into a retirement community. :lol:

If your wood is in good shape, and the wood itself isn't chipping/coming up in large splinters, you don't need those "deck over" textured products. Those are to coat decks that are in bad shape - where the wood itself really should be replaced, but you're buying time until you do that.

Your deck guy will power wash the deck/do other things to remove the old stain. There will be little color from the old stain left on the deck when he's done, and no stain peeling.

If you want a stain that will last the longest, you go with a solid stain. It hides the wood grain, but provides the most protection.

If you want a stain that shows lots of wood grain, you go with a semi-transparent. It provides less protection, but people like the look.

How long the stain lasts depends on where you live, and how exposed the deck is. For example, it would not be shocking for a fully exposed deck in Florida or Arizona to need to be recoated every six months/once per year, depending. Decks are sort of the worst possible case for coatings - they are big flat surfaces that tend to be fully exposed. It is not surprising that a stain applied three years ago would need to be redone now. Some stains say they last longer, but that really depends on the environment - amount of sun, type of weather, how exposed the deck is, so don't go by the "lasts 5 years" or similar that you might see on some of the packages, as YMMV. Might last longer. Might not. Probably won't. It sounds like your deck guy knows what he's doing in terms of the need to prepare the deck, so your stain should last the maximum it can in your environment. A solid stain could last three years in most environments, but again, that varies by your deck's location.

Since you're using a solid stain, you can go with Cape Cod Grey if you want to. You don't need to go with a dark color unless what's on there is very dark and can't be removed. Usually, a solid stain should cover whatever's on there. You'd do better asking an experienced deck guy which brands to look at, and if he thinks the Cape Cod Grey will cover, than asking people at THD or Lowe's.

Last edited:

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
My kitchen has one of those ironing boards in a shallow cupboard. Its smack dab in the middle of the wall and there is nothing else on that wall. WHEN we reno the kitchen, I plan on removing the ironing board and putting display shelves in there instead so I can display my Jadeite collection that has been sitting in a box for several years.

My parents' place had the same feature. It was there for years and gradually stopped being used for ironing and became an all-purpose counter. Then they removed it and used the niche to store cooking/baking supplies.

pat c

My parents' place had the same feature. It was there for years and gradually stopped being used for ironing and became an all-purpose counter. Then they removed it and used the niche to store cooking/baking supplies.

We had that in our old house. We took the ironing board out and made it into a liquor cabinent. :D
Who knew that feature would be so handy for other things.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I'm going to resurrect this old thread.

We've decided to move ahead with our kitchen remodeling plans, plans we canned last year because we got uncertain of what we wanted and we didn't like the person we worked with in Home Depot.

This time, we're talking with a guy in Lowes, and things are going better, and we also have a better idea of what we want (I also contacted to remodelling design companies, but they didn't respond to the email inquiry from their website, so bye).

We want to do a couple of things
  • new cabinets
  • lower the 'bar' on the far side of the kitchen so its one big area (issue, the sink and dishwasher is in this area, so its ot really an isle, it has a wall in the middle with power and water).
  • new countertop
  • paint the kitchen and everything downstairs
  • new floors in kitchen and the whole lower level (it is one big area)

For the flooring, I've been trying to figure out what to get and I want FSU's collective advice. I grew up with hardwood (plywood core I think) floors, and I've never heard you can't wash them etc. however here in the US everyone acts like hardwood cant be washed using a mop? I'm very confused about this.

I think laminate look really fake, and I don't like vinyl either.

So far I'm looking at CALI hardwood floors, they have some which are marked water resistant. I'm also looking at their bamboo floors.

anyone have experience with this brand? with hardwood floors in the kitchen? with bamboo flooring?

we're planning having installes do it and not do it ourselves.

for the kitchen I'd like some recommendations for countertops. We probably don't want granite, but who knows. So far weighing between solid surface and quartz.

thank you

(also sorry I've been away from FSU, I have not been handling the current world health situation well and felt I didn't want to discuss it.)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@maatTheViking Thank you for bumping this up. I am about to start planning renos on my dad's apartment to get it ready for sale, and I am interested in the same things you listed.

The cabinets are the biggest :confused: for me, as the apartment has the original cabinets from 30+ years ago, and they are literally falling apart. We are debating whether to replace them ourselves and maybe get a higher selling price for the apartment, or selling the apartment as is (with a new paint job and new carpet) and letting the buyers replace the cabinets themselves.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
@maatTheViking Thank you for bumping this up. I am about to start planning renos on my dad's apartment to get it ready for sale, and I am interested in the same things you listed.

The cabinets are the biggest :confused: for me, as the apartment has the original cabinets from 30+ years ago, and they are literally falling apart. We are debating whether to replace them ourselves and maybe get a higher selling price for the apartment, or selling the apartment as is (with a new paint job and new carpet) and letting the buyers replace the cabinets themselves.
I suppose it depends how much value it is going to add. If it was a hot property market it could be worth doing.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I've always cleaned hardwood floors with a mop. And by always, I mean I've done it for decades. Our last house we lived in for over 15 years and it had hardwood in the kitchen for most of it. Cleaned it with a mop. No problem.

As far as the flooring type, I've had hardwood, engineered hardwood, laminate, and tile. I think they can all look good but if it's laminate or tile, it depends on the pattern and the quality.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
@overedge I'm really not sure about redoing anything before selling. I think it highly depends on the market. I'm not sure you will get return on investment on it? You might just set the price slightly higher than what you want for it, and as soon as someone mentions the cabinets, knock that amount off so they can replace them themselves?

i think it is a lot of stress, and what if the peopel don't like it? I remember looking at a freshly painted house, which was painted in a color we disliked. At a house with a new kitchen, with countertops we didn't like. as a buyer it feels like such a waste, and I dont want to pay extra for something I dont like?

but if there is more sellers than buyers in your market, you might not get many buyers who need to do things themselves.

alexikeguchi

I'm going to resurrect this old thread.

We've decided to move ahead with our kitchen remodeling plans, plans we canned last year because we got uncertain of what we wanted and we didn't like the person we worked with in Home Depot.

For the flooring, I've been trying to figure out what to get and I want FSU's collective advice. I grew up with hardwood (plywood core I think) floors, and I've never heard you can't wash them etc. however here in the US everyone acts like hardwood cant be washed using a mop? I'm very confused about this.

for the kitchen I'd like some recommendations for countertops. We probably don't want granite, but who knows. So far weighing between solid surface and quartz

Thanks for resurrecting the thread, and best wishes for your remodeling plans to go smoothly.
I have a somewhat open plan kitchen (pocket doors which are almost always open are the only separation from the living area), so I went with the same flooring throughout which is white oak hardwood. It is a breeze to clean/mop because there's no grout, and the floor is holding up fine.
I went with Carrara marble countertops with some hesitation, but my architect convinced me and I liked the look. Plus that was about the least expensive solid stone option. They've been a pleasant surprise as far as durability though I am careful not to tempt fate by setting anything hot directly on the counter. Quartz doesn't have that problem and comes in any design you want but costs more.
Have fun!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@maatTheViking Those are all great points. Part of what we're considering, too, is that the apartment is in a building that has an unusual ownership structure - the residents buy shares in a holding company and get a lease on their unit, they don't own the unit itself outright. There's also a fairly high down payment requirement. So as a result the residents are usually older people who are downsizing - most of them have sold their houses, so they have the $$$ for the down payment - and who don't plan to move again unless they have to.

So it's not a unit that someone would buy to renovate and flip, and the prospective buyers are likely not going to want to do a lot of renovations themselves.

If we decide to do the cabinets, we were thinking of going with something really neutral like white/cream or a blonde/ash wood. If the buyers want to upgrade or change it, they can pay for that once they move in.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
@overedge I'm really not sure about redoing anything before selling. I think it highly depends on the market. I'm not sure you will get return on investment on it? You might just set the price slightly higher than what you want for it, and as soon as someone mentions the cabinets, knock that amount off so they can replace them themselves?

i think it is a lot of stress, and what if the peopel don't like it? I remember looking at a freshly painted house, which was painted in a color we disliked. At a house with a new kitchen, with countertops we didn't like. as a buyer it feels like such a waste, and I dont want to pay extra for something I dont like?

but if there is more sellers than buyers in your market, you might not get many buyers who need to do things themselves.
I think as long as it is fresh and clean (a new paint job in a neutral colour wouldn't go astray) but I agree about the stress. And I think older places, unless an investor is going to buy it, like to put their own stamp on it when they take it over. But that is my way of thinking. I brought my house specifically because I knew I wanted to do that. I looked to the potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information