Historic Flooding in Nebraska

ilovepaydays

CNN Article
Wall Street Article
New York Times Article

I’m surprised that this isn’t receiving more news coverage.

Satellite view of example of flooding. :eek: - near Offutt Air Force Base (south of Omaha)

Apparently, record amounts of snow melting and rain + “bomb cyclone” = historic flooding that has led to multiple levees being breeched. There are accounts that a lot of Nebraska’s farmland and livestock are being wiped out. :(

And because of how the waterways are in Nebraska, pretty much the ENTIRE state could be under water. :eek:

If there are any FSUers in the area that are affected, let us know how/if we can help.

As soon as I can find links to resources, I will post them on here.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Much warm thoughts and wishes of reprieve to the FSU-ers who live in the area, as well as the community as a whole.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
CNN Article
Wall Street Article
New York Times Article

I’m surprised that this isn’t receiving more news coverage.

Satellite view of example of flooding. :eek: - near Offutt Air Force Base (south of Omaha)

Apparently, record amounts of snow melting and rain + “bomb cyclone” = historic flooding that has led to multiple levees being breeched. There are accounts that a lot of Nebraska’s farmland and livestock are being wiped out. :(

And because of how the waterways are in Nebraska, pretty much the ENTIRE state could be under water. :eek:

If there are any FSUers in the area that are affected, let us know how/if we can help.

As soon as I can find links to resources, I will post them on here.
Yes, it has been not well covered - the amount of water is incredible. And until the areas are declared emergencies FEMA can't help. Pence finally stopped today, but the coverage of what I saw I wasn't impressed by his comments.
One of the pictures I posted on Facebook is a firetruck underwater. Several of my friends have entire houses under water.

I am near the Missouri river, having moved in December, but we are not really in any danger or flooding.
Rebuilding roads and bridges is going to need to be done soon. Right now, there are several towns that you can't get in or out. So those who stayed can't get any supplies and drinking water is not safe, basic things of life. Those who evacuated can't get in.

I just don't know what to do for my friends who are affected, other than give hugs. They can't begin any clean up until the water recedes.

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
It's getting more coverage than people think. I had friends in Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and West Virginia reach out to me about it, and they didn't get the info from my Facebook page because I've only posted pictures of Peanut.

That being said, the town where I teach is almost completely underwater. Not sure what will happen next week when spring break is over.

PDilemma

I'm five minutes from the Missouri River, but our town is on high ground. My brother was evacuated and spent last weekend here and Sunday night through Tuesday at our mother's before he could get home. The town I primarily work in was hit badly. Many staff and students lost everything. School was out all last week due to the situation--wasn't even accessible from the outside until late Monday night. School resumes tomorrow and i'm sure it will be tough.

My in-laws were in another town that became an island. The town literally started running out of food until the state patrol was able to clear a road enough for a convoy of trucks to bring food and supplies in before anything was open for normal travel. We are usually a straight highway 20 miles from them. For the foreseeable future it looks like we'll be taken a four highway one hour route to get there.

Damage estimates are nearing $2 billion in the state now. Your food prices will be affected. And industries likely are feeling the almost complete stoppage of rail traffic.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
One of my friends who live in Iowa have not been able to get to the small town where they live. everything still is underwater - 8 days later. They live in Iowa - a place that hasn't gotten much press. Nor did the governor declare an emergency until yesterday.

Now there are reports of looting - people going in at night in boats to go through houses, stuff that may not mean much to the looters, but mean a great deal to those who live in the area. The Coast Guard and police are using boats to go into the area, but they can only do so much.

PD is right, everyone in the US will be impacted by the floods. Highways and interstates remain closed because of poor road integrity so transportation of goods will be impacted and with that prices. Grain elevators collapsed and livestock drowned - impacting the food supplies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information