Has anyone used Etsy.com to sell/buy on line?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I heard about Etsy.com from a friend. I want to sell some things I have made (tie-dye silk scarves, paintings, and possibly photographs). So I registered on etsy, created my shop, and created listings for 10 items. I read a lot of their material before and while Listing. I have no problem paying their monthly fee ($10) 5 pc commission, charges for listing each product and VAT (tax around 3.5 percent). There are a few more charges.

What concerned me was that they will charge me for shipping, even though I would be the one going to the PO to ship my product, and pay there, in addition to paying etsy.

I put in some sample numbers for my silk scarf (1lb) and their answer was $10.90 to ship it to Chicago. The website did not say if it was first class/priority/overnight shipping. I tried another product- a small 8x8 in) painting, with just 1 lb more than the silk scarf for weight and the shipping they would charge me would be $13 plus.

These are small gift items, not high price. I can't afford to pay these shipping costs, and it does not make sense to pay for shipping twice.

I went to their Facebook page and asked the question. Some people answered and one posted a link to explain the various charges. It is a lot bigger investment to use etsy, it seems. If I raise the prices to make up for these shipping costs, my items will never sell.

When I did a search on their website in that category, my products did not appear. However, in my 'shop' I do see them listed.It was not clear if I had to pay even more for people to see my products when they do a search for Silk Scarves. I did not select the various advertising options, google being one.

They have various 'help' links but they never answer my questions. I will continue to ask on Facebook but so far it has not given me a satisfactory answer. So it seems I will have to pay etsy those outrageous shipping costs, while I actually ship and pay at my PO.

Right now it does not make sense to me to use etsy.com to sell. When I checked the prices on that website for those categories (silk scarves and art/oil painting) my prices were in the ballpark, but some people had much more expensive items, particularly for paintings.

I am considering canceling, if their website tells me how to. However, it may help to get information from those who have used etsy to sell.

When all else fails, I ask fsuers. Certainly there are posters here that sell on etsy. :)

What is your experience?

Spun Silver

You don't pay shipping twice. You can either buy postage/labels through Etsy (at a discount, I forget how much, maybe 5%, over USPS) OR take your packages to the PO. However:

1. You will pay Etsy's sales fee on your shipping costs if you buy through Etsy, and
2. Etsy is really pushing free shipping these days. The only way that makes sense is if you increase your prices to cover the cost of shipping.

The best source of Etsy help is the very active user forums that are on the Etsy site itself. If you are on the full site in Safari or other browser, go to the bottom of the page and click on Forums. If you are in Shop Manager, it is in one of the links on the left. At the beginning you will probably want to stick to the Questions section. Also check out the Etsy Help section.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
You don't pay shipping twice. You can either buy postage/labels through Etsy (at a discount, I forget how much, maybe 5%, over USPS) OR take your packages to the PO. However:

1. You will pay Etsy's sales fee on your shipping costs if you buy through Etsy, and
2. Etsy is really pushing free shipping these days. The only way that makes sense is if you increase your prices to cover the cost of shipping.

The best source of Etsy help is the very active user forums that are on the Etsy site itself. If you are on the full site in Safari or other browser, go to the bottom of the page and click on Forums. If you are in Shop Manager, it is in one of the links on the left. At the beginning you will probably want to stick to the Questions section. Also check out the Etsy Help section.

Thank you Spun Silver. I will try the forums. From the website, when I was listing my products, it did not give me the option to ship myself.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I don't sell on Etsy however I have a friend who has sold on both Etsy and eBay and she recently told me she's going to shut down her Etsy store because it's just not as profitable as her eBay store - not because she doesn't get traffic at both but because of the underlying costs.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I don't sell on Etsy however I have a friend who has sold on both Etsy and eBay and she recently told me she's going to shut down her Etsy store because it's just not as profitable as her eBay store - not because she doesn't get traffic at both but because of the underlying costs.

That's good to know. I find etsy way too complex and expensive. My products don't even appear when I do searches on those categories.

I may try selling on eBay. I had used it many years ago.

ETA- Just looked up EBay. I thought it was for auctions but it seems one can set a fixed price. I will need to read their terms and conditions but at first glance it looks easier than etsy. I may try selling on both sites, then keep just one.

Last edited:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
That's good to know. I find etsy way too complex and expensive. My products don't even appear when I do searches on those categories.

I may try selling on eBay. I had used it many years ago.

ETA- Just looked up EBay. I thought it was for auctions but it seems one can set a fixed price. I will need to read their terms and conditions but at first glance it looks easier than etsy. I may try selling on both sites, then keep just one.
Good luck with this Vash. Please do consider your photography, also. The photos you've shared with me from the past are truly amazing and beautiful. I especially loved the landscape and wildlife photos.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Good luck with this Vash. Please do consider your photography, also. The photos you've shared with me from the past are truly amazing and beautiful. I especially loved the landscape and wildlife photos.

Thanks so much! I am considering selling some photographs too.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I've bought from Esty but not sold (not crafty enough). I've never had a bad experience and it's a good place to get custom stuff for cheap.

As a user, I avoid eBay because it's a lot harder to vet the sellers and to find what I am looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information