HarperCollins Children's Books to publish Karen Chen's autobiography

Sylvia

TBD
Here's the link to HarperCollins' press release - quotes below by Karen and Kristi Yamaguchi:
“I am so excited to be able to share my story with my fans and with fellow skaters,” says Karen Chen. “I wanted to show people that if you work hard, never give up, and believe in yourself, you can achieve success. I hope readers will take away a message about the importance of dedication and resilience, and apply it to their own challenges and goals. Every day I continue working toward my dreams, and I look forward to what the future will bring.”
“Karen Chen is one of the most promising young skaters I have seen in a long time,” says Kristi Yamaguchi. “I have been fortunate enough to work with and mentor Karen, and now I am honored to be a part of this project and continue the mission of inspiring young athletes and helping them realize their dreams.”
Link to Karen's book: https://www.harpercollins.com/9780062822680/finding-the-edge-my-life-on-the-ice

Last edited:

chapis

This is great for her but isn't she a bit young for an autobiography?

Her career has just started and she is still very young.

There are old people who have nothing to tell. Mao published books almost every season, I think Yuna Kim published an autobiography also when she was very young.
Anyway, Karen's book is already on amazon, I think I'll buy it.

Kultakissu

I agree - it's not about the age, it's whether your life so far has been interesting enough for people to want to read about it. Plus, everything is still fresh in her mind, so she doesn't have to try to remember stuff from 50 years ago :biggrinbo

Willin

For me it's not the age - it's that she has so much ahead of her in her career (possible Olympics, possible/likely more Worlds, more GPs, more international medals, etc.). Even if she doesn't achieve any of that - although I suspect she'll achieve some of it, wouldn't it be more interesting to hear why she didn't?
For that reason, I'd rather she waited until she was done with her skating career and had gotten a lot more done. Unless she plans to release the kids book now to ride the hype of the Olympics and then will release a more adult biography and reveal all the :watch: and cover her whole career once she retires?

VGThuy

Tara and Michelle also published their autobiographies before the Nagano Olympics. I think both did revised versions after the Olympics. It seems like Karen's, like theirs, is geared more towards young people and shedding a light to the skating/sporting/disciplined life that is different and offering insight as to how they can overcome any obstacle that comes their way even things get tough. Most kids haven't been beaten up by life to think Karen's life isn't very interesting right now to read about. I bet many of them, especially the younger ones, will find it incredibly interesting.

leafygreens

I think this is a money grab leading up to the Olympic hype, and has nothing to do with her experience in life.

VGThuy

Making a profit is one of the main reasons why anyone would publish a book along with other reasons. The fact that Harper Collins was interested in her story and wants to publish it is a really great opportunity most people will never get.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
I think this is a money grab leading up to the Olympic hype, and has nothing to do with her experience in life.
It may be a junior success story that teens & pre-teens might find inspiring. Lots of current champions say they got inspired by the story of Skater X. Even if it doesn't have the drama of certain life stories, just getting from the little to the (from their view) big leagues can be inspiring.

leafygreens

If Karen does well through the Olympics, the book can easily be updated like Sasha Cohen did with her book. If Karen does not do well through the Olympics, then this might be her only chance to have a book written about her. It makes sense to strike while the iron is hot.

I seem to remember similar kids books written about Kwan and Lipinski before the Olympics. It doesn't seem weird now since they became "great" skaters. Hopefully Karen will rise to that stature as well.

jenniferlyon

If Karen does well through the Olympics, the book can easily be updated like Sasha Cohen did with her book. If Karen does not do well through the Olympics, then this might be her only chance to have a book written about her. It makes sense to strike while the iron is hot.

I seem to remember similar kids books written about Kwan and Lipinski before the Olympics. It doesn't seem weird now since they became "great" skaters. Hopefully Karen will rise to that stature as well.

Yep. I still have those Kwan and Lipinski books somewhere in my vast collection of 1990s skating memorabilia. I also have Oksana Baiul's book.

Skating books for kids usually have more and better photos than the skating books for grown-ups.

S

SmallFairy

I think it's interesting to have a book about a skater being in the game, in her career and what that is like, and not just the retrospective ones, written by retired/show skaters. Of course kids will love to read about it and be inspired. Good for Karen, go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information