Happy Indigenous People's Day

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Happy Indigenous Peoples Day to all the Indigenous posters on FSU! And, the fact that it is before Columbus Day is as it should be. I did not limit this to only the US as Indigenous peoples around the world can have the day as well.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
In California, we observed Indigenous Peoples Day last month. :shuffle:

I'm not the biggest fan of Newsom, but I think it's smart to separate Indigenous Peoples Day from Columbus Day instead of trying to "cancel" Columbus Day, which is meaningful to many people in the US, especially Italian-Americans. Some places have at least made a half-hearted attempt to proclaim / celebrate October as Italian-American heritage month while cancelling Columbus Day, which I suppose is better than nothing. But when your group has your holiday cancelled and replaced by another group's holiday, it's hard not to be anti-woke. And if you think that's extreme, talk to me when Martin Luther Day King is cancelled because he wasn't woke enough to support LGBTQ+ rights and and replaced with Transgender Equality Day.

Anyway, happy Columbus Day to those for whom it is meaningful (including those outside the US, who celebrate it in Spain and Italy) and happy Indigenous Peoples Day to those who for whom it is meaningful.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
Every post I've seen so far on my Facebook feed is celebrating Indigenous People's Day today and there is no mention of Columbus Day. The only reason I know it's also Columbus Day is because the post office and banks are closed and they've announced it. Now, where I live is very tribal active so there is a lot of awareness, but it makes me happy to live in a place that recognizes it.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I have to say that in Australia Happy Indigenous People's Day is a bit of an oxymoron in Australia at the moment. And it doesn't really feel very happy.

In Australia we are currently going through the process of a referendum to give First Nations/Aboriginal people recognition in the Constitution. This includes a representative Voice to parliament/government which is decided by First Nations. At this point in time there is no FN's recognition in our constitution. In fact it was only in 1967 that FNP were even considered as part of the Australian population after a successful referendum.

However for what you would think should be a simple process has been turned into a sh*tshow by the Liberal (conservative) opposition to the Labor government. Peter Dutton, the opposition leader, could have presented a bipartisan front in line with the government and supported it. Instead they have been playing on political opportunism to create conflict and division.

In the meantime FNP are being used as political punching bags and is the current minority demographic that is being demonised and victimised (trans people not so long ago were the target). It has shown that we have a long way to go in terms of racist attitudes. Misinformation, lies, conspiracies and dog whistles are being shared around with no responsibility or accountability.

And as what happened with the same sex marriage vote that was held a few years ago, FNP are being made to feel like sh*t and treated like they don't even belong in this country that they inhabited before white colonisation.

I am of course voting Yes. But I am really sick of people treating like crap those who still have massive disadvantages compared to the rest of the country. Plus the colonial arrogance and superior attitudes.

Anyway for anyone who is interested here is an article that summarises about the Voice and what it means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information