Grad school encouragement

centerstage01

So I got into grad school and I've almost finished my first week and while the classes are interesting and the professors all seem very nice and willing to help you with anything, I'm still nervous as all hell. I've had one doozy of an anxiety attack already, mostly because after getting the syllabus it hit me that not only do I have all this to do, but I'm also a grad assistant to FOUR professors and they all have projects for me to help them with along with helping to grade undergrad work. (Thankfully, I only have to work 20 hours a week, but still.) My advisor (who was one of my favorite undergrad profs), keeps telling me I'll be fine and yes, it's challenging, but I'll get into the swing of things as the semester goes on.

Has anyone here got tips on how to lessen my anxiety and any study tricks to help get through the pile of reading material? That part's not so bad now, but I haven't started any research papers yet and while I know organization is key, am I going to be allowed any chance to breathe until school is over? I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining, because I truly don't mean to, I just don't want to fail at all this.

Winnipeg

I completed grad school a few years ago. I recall feeling very similar worries my first week. When I look back, it was the best experience ever. I learned a lot and.....you get to focus your studies on areas of most interest.

I also was a prof assistant. I was very nervous my first time leading a lab! I even forgot how to calculate some easy something or other! Just froze.

You will overcome these early jitters. They are quite natural. Grad work can be the most interesting educational experience as you can really focus on your primary interests. A key factor is making sure you have a great advisor who has a consistent record of successful grad students finishing their degrees.

Keep in touch and I will try and help where I can!

Deep breath, chin up, you can do this or you would not be there.:cheer2:

alj5

First couple of weeks are rough, but once you get into a groove it becomes bearable. I got one of those giant calendars and used it pretty religiously for the first month of each semester until I got into a groove.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I loved grad school both for my masters and doctoral programs. Organization is the key along with sitting aside one day a week to not study. We always chose Fridays and most grad students went to our favorite bar and decompressed. Saturdays were for doing household stuff and Sundays started the week again. And, set aside time for fluff reading. You need to decompress. But, the biggest make it or break it in grad school is your advisor. If they are supportive and involved, it can be fun and smooth. If not, look for another ASAP. Mine made the entire experience easy.

intheknow

I went through this, too. First of all, you have to realize that you can't read all the assigned material. You have to prioritize; figure out what is most relevant to your field and your future plans and do that. Also, don't ever take incompletes. Do whatever to takes to keep on the timetable of your program. Even though I didn't know it at the time, this was the key to my successful completion. Also, don't do things that take away from your goal. You might think you can audit some really interesting course tangential to your field, but that will take up too much time. Make friends in your cohort, and with people ahead of you, and use (and give) them support. It will be fun and intellectually exhilarating. Take care of yourself physically and good luck!

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I agree with rfisher.

Another thing I learned quickly was to ask of the assigned reading which ones are the must reads. My classes tended to have copious amount of reading articles and since I was working full time with three kids under the age of 12, I nearly killed myself trying to read all the assigned reading that first semester. Then I learned the different between the necessary/essential reading vs the reading interesting to the course but not essential.

It was a great experience and I probably would have done a doctorate degree but didn't see job opportunities in my area. At least one that would be in great demand.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
I loved grad school both for my masters and doctoral programs. Organization is the key along with sitting aside one day a week to not study. We always chose Fridays and most grad students went to our favorite bar and decompressed. Saturdays were for doing household stuff and Sundays started the week again. And, set aside time for fluff reading. You need to decompress.

ITA about decompressing. I worked a pretty demanding job full time while getting my masters and had to learn to make certain sacrificies for my happiness and sanity. It may have outraged my inner Hermione, but sometimes it was just worth it to take th A- instead of the A if it meant having some free time or getting to do something fun with my husband.

@centerstage01, what sort of program are you in? I still TA one class a semester; I like how it keeps me sharp on the fundamentals.

centerstage01

I'm doing a Journalism program with a focus on Ad/PR. And thank you everyone for your comments.

I got my undergrad over 15 years ago so deciding to go back and get a Masters was a long-overdue decision. Getting back in the academic groove is going to take a bit especially as technology has changed radically since I was last in a classroom. For the good, though, I think.

sk8pics

You do need time to decompress, but there may also be times when you really have to go all out. For me, it was my second year when I had the toughest classes and was taking my qualifying exams. The group of us literally took only one night off a week, Fridays, and otherwise we just kept working. I learned more in that one year than the other 4 years combined, but wow, it was hard.

Yeas later I did a master's program in another field while I was working full time. The classes were not bad, but the practicum was exhausting. I still don't know how I got through it, but I suppose the earlier lessons I learned about how to work efficiently helped.

Good luck! Try and enjoy it, at least some of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information