Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

skategal

Bunny mama
Sigh. Sephora really pisses me off sometimes. Once again, the rewards bazaar offered and opportunity to convert points to cash credit, and once again it made it to my basket but when I went to check out, it was "sold out." This is not a product, it can't be sold out. And this happens every time. And otherwise the rewards have been sucking for some time - I have a ton of points and nowhere to spend them.

That didn't even come up as an option for me.

The rewards did suck though.

The only things I was offered that weren't sold out were the 100 point Sunday Riley Good Genes and a 250 point perfume sample.

I have over 800 points that I can't spend so I feel your pain.

Ugh....

Anemone

I have a terrible time with whiteheads/blackheads on my nose, and reached a point years ago where I just shrugged and gave up and put up with it. I ran out of my usual daytime moisturizer a week or 10 days or so ago, and just have not been able to get to the store to replace it. So have been using my nighttime moisturizer in the am as well. I have noticed a significant reduction in the amount of whiteheads in the last few days, so I am thinking that my moisturizer might have been a significant contributor to the problem (and why I didn't think of this possibility years ago, I have no idea!). So now I want to try a new daytime moisturizer for at least a month or more to see if changing really will make a difference long term. I don't want to continue using my nighttime one, as it does not have any sunscreen/SPF.
Looking for suggestions. Must be non-greasy and absorb quickly/easily, must have at least SPF 15 (but 30 preferred), under $30/jar, and available in Canada.

skategal

Bunny mama
Must be non-greasy and absorb quickly/easily, must have at least SPF 15 (but 30 preferred), under $30/jar, and available in Canada.

The only one I can even think of that has SPF in it, is the Neutrogena line of moisturizers.

I used to use one years ago and I found it nice.

You can choose from a variety of different ones that suit your needs best.

skategal

Bunny mama
I got confirmation last night that my order has shipped already.

Should be here on the 14th.

That’s positively speedy for the Holiday Sale. :lol:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Mine arrived today, all but the eyebrow brush. That’s just a bit more than 48 hours.

By the way, if Lashstash isn’t sold out, grab one. It’s perfect for people who have to swap mascaras frequently. 10 high end brands for $48.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I usually get my sister the lash stash for Christmas but I shook it up this year and got her a lipstick sampler. :p I also get her one of the charcoal heads for her Mia Sonic cleaner thingy. I know I got a lipstick (Cava, from Bite) for myself and something else, but I don't remember what. Maybe an eyebrow pencil.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
Has anybody purchased Jeffree Star and Sheane Dawson products?
I really like JS liquid lipsticks and this sold out in a few hours.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
If you are a lipstick junkie like me, I just discovered a company out of Puerto Rico called Necromancy Cosmetica and I ordered the shade Naked Witch. I love it.

skategal

Bunny mama
If you are a lipstick junkie like me, I just discovered a company out of Puerto Rico called Necromancy Cosmetica and I ordered the shade Naked Witch. I love it.

Nice! I like some of the pink and dark shades.

I’m not confident on their shipping to Canada (could be 3 weeks and they can’t give a quote) so I will sit this one out.

Let us know if you like them or not.

I’ll keep an eye on them.

If they get a following, I’m sure they will work on their international shipping.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
The Kat Von D brow powder is great. It’s heavily pigmented, but the excess brushes off easily. I have thin brows, and the medium brown powder fills things in nicely without looking too scary. I may buy a lighter shade just to be able to have some dimension.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Thanks @Aceon6 for the recommendation. I have been using Chanel's brow palette for several years (I like that there are three shades, I can adjust depending on the look I'm going for, and the full size brush is definitely worth investing in). However, I am increasingly a fan of Kat Von D - the colours, the generous quantity of makeup within each product, the true colours*, the quality of the product and the value. I'll pop this in my basket for consideration later.

For example, this is a really fun product and it's currently on sale for a mere CAD 9.00 You dab it lightly over your eye colour and it just pops out with a really fun glow. Tried it on my cheeks even one night out, and I'm guessing it could work to highlight the middle of your lips too.

* By true colours I mean what ends up on your face looks like the product in its packaging. Lately I've been :confused: at the number of times something looks completely different on me, like playing Russian roulette with my makeup! I wonder if it's that so many products are made of millions of little flecks of different colours to give them glow/dimension, so that once it's actually on me, a different assortment of the colours seems to assert itself?

skategal

Bunny mama
Thanks @Aceon6

* By true colours I mean what ends up on your face looks like the product in its packaging. Lately I've been :confused: at the number of times something looks completely different on me, like playing Russian roulette with my makeup! I wonder if it's that so many products are made of millions of little flecks of different colours to give them glow/dimension, so that once it's actually on me, a different assortment of the colours seems to assert itself?

I'm really fair-skinned and for me it depends a lot on the product.

I find highlighters are bad for this.

Really hard to tell without swatching what it will actually look like on my face.

Many are too dark even though they look light in the pan and then I will see one that I think won't work at all because it's too dark and it's fine. :confused:

Usually eyeshadows are pretty true to the pan colour on my eyes.

I have a hard time with lipstick though because my lips are so pigmented.

Some lipsticks look like I am not wearing anything at all.

NARS lipglide in the shade "Bound" is the exact colour of my lips.

Everyone raved over that one and I almost bought it.

So glad I didn't because when I tried it as a sample, I was like "Did I even put it on my lips???" :rofl:

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I ended up with several Drunk Elphant products. I got the Midi Committee which had a bunch of stuff I hadn't tried before (I like the cleanser) and I got the set with the night serum - I already use that and it was a pretty good deal to get some extra stuff.
To make it up to 50 for the first shipment, I added a 'lash ornament' - I don't use enough mascara to justify the lash stash, but it was 3 minis which should last me a while. And mascaras I haven't tried.

I love that like Clinique, most items don't carry a lot of scents. I'm fairly sensitive to scents, as is my husband so this is a must. All of their items feels really great too.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Resurrecting this thread to complain about Sephora, again. Now I get an email inviting me to be part of a beta test in which you can redeem 500 points for $10 off at time of purchase (but only once per purchase). Not great but I'll take it. But then, no surprise, I've been trying to sign up for an hour, error messages or it hangs every time. Not surprised there would be a run on this because the rewards are terrible (just looked at the latest, and it's almost insulting).

So, I've fired off a complaint to Sephora about this, that once again they've made an offer they can't fulfill, and this time they've made it to their best customers (I have been Rouge for years). I'm not asking for the world here, just don't make offers you can't fulfill, and improve the selection because no I do not want stickers for my phone or cheap sunglasses or a makeover. I want advance purchase of new products, large size samples, decent value packs and cash off. Is that too much to ask when I've spent I don't even want to think about how much money with them?

Sigh, sorry to be a downer, had to vent somewhere after been so polite in the complaint I just sent.

myhoneyhoney

I'm over Sephora. Their point system blows, 98% of their rewards products I don't want. I try to do most of my shopping at Ulta or purchase direct from whatever cosmetic company I want.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
Sephora is doing its best for you to spend most of your points as soon as possible so you don't have them once they introduce their new point/rewards system.
It's all over youtube. Some Sephora employes confirmed it

Sephora is doing its best for you to spend most of your points as soon as possible so you don't have them once they introduce their new point/rewards system.

Ha! Last time I ordered from Sephora their website was glitching and it wouldn’t even let me look at rewards. I’d happily buy the stuff I buy at Sephora elsewhere but I don’t think there’s any other Canadian suppliers for FAB or The Ordinary which is primarily what I buy from Sephora.

skategal

Bunny mama
I`ve been moving away from purchasing from Sephora as well and have actively been looking for dupes or near dupes of some of the more expensive skin care products that I purchase from there.

I've been very successful with finding a really good dupe for Dr. Gross exfoliating pads. :cheer2:

I've been using the Neostrata brand resurfacing exfoliating pads with 10% Glycolic Acid. The packaging is similar to the First Aid Beauty pads rather than individually wrapped like the Dr. Gross ones but they work excellently for me.

I bought them at Shoppers Drug Mart and they cost around $65 Canadian dollars for 36 pads rather than almost $100 for the same amount of Dr. Gross.

Today I bought a dupe for the Drunk Elephant Lala Whipped Retro Moisturizer (my favorite but $80 Canadian..ugh!)

I bought the Olay Total Effects Whip Moisturizer with SPF 25 Fragrance Free at Walmart for $40 Canadian.

It's definitely super close to the Drunk Elephant. I like it a lot and will update you all here on how it worked.

Also, regarding colour cosmetics, I have put myself on a no-buy/low-buy for awhile. I am only going to repurchase things I run out of.

So basically, no more eyeshadow, blush, bronzer and highlighter for awhile until I use some up.

I started this in December and haven't had to repurchase anything yet but a mascara and foundation purchase are imminent.

I agree the Sephora rewards suck. Even when I cash them in for stuff, it's often stuff I end up not liking. :revenge:

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
It explains a lot.
My country’s Sephora has no stock of anything that matters (meaning, stuff I like :D ) both online and in physical stores. It’s been over a year since I last bought anything from them. I mostly buy from pharmacies and small internet importers.

fan

Ha! Last time I ordered from Sephora their website was glitching and it wouldn’t even let me look at rewards. I’d happily buy the stuff I buy at Sephora elsewhere but I don’t think there’s any other Canadian suppliers for FAB or The Ordinary which is primarily what I buy from Sephora.
You can buy the ordinary here

Jenny

From the Bloc
If they are trying to get us to dump points in anticipation of a new system, they're doing a shitty job of it. Crappy rewards, lack of availability for the few good ones, glitches with new offers, the list goes on.

kimkom

I’ve got almost 2000 points now because nothing has appealed to me. I did pick up my birthday gift this weekend - Milk primer, blush/lipstick combo and a mini mascara. I haven’t tried the mascara yet (it looks clumpy though) but the primer and blush/lipstick are awesome! My skin looks and feels really dewey and my cheeks have just a nice subtle flush. I‘ll likely buy the full size versions when I’m done.

After a recommendation from a co-worker, I‘ve also switched from MUF Ultra HD Foundation to Too Faced Born this Way. I just love the texture and coverage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information