German Skating News - 2022 / 2023 Season

sandra_persch

The German Fed has published the selection for the first JGP events of the season

Pairs and the later events will be nominated after the monitoring sessions have been completed.

(CZE), 31.08.-03.09.2022
Junior Women
:
Olesya RAY
Valentina ANDRIANOVA (S1)
Julia Grabowski (S2)
Kama Schelewski (S3)

Junior Men:
Luca FÜNFER
Arthur MAI (S)

Junior Ice Dance:
Alexia KRUK / Jan EISENHABER
Karla Maria KARL / Kai HOFERICHTER (S)

(LAT), 07.-10.09.2022

Junior Women
:
Valentina ANDRIANOVA
Olesya RAY (S1)
Julia Grabowski (S2)
Kama Schelewski (S3)

Junior Men:
Arthur MAI
Luca FÜNFER (S)

Junior Ice Dance:
Darya GRIMM / Michail SAVITSKIY*
Karla Maria KARL / Kai HOFERICHTER
Alexia KRUK / Jan EISENHABER (S1)
Finja Maeder / Piero Joel Lopez Moreno (S2)

*pending monitoring

Quadjump

Looking at the Senior GPs:

GPF for Hocke/Kunkel is not unlikely. There are two spots left behind the 4 World class pairs (USA, CHN, GEO, JPN)

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Looking at the Senior GPs:

GPF for Hocke/Kunkel is not unlikely. There are two spots left behind the 4 World class pairs (USA, CHN, GEO, JPN)
I wouldn't call it likely - Ghilardi/Ambrosini, Metelkina/Parkman, Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore, Chan/Howe are comparable teams - and who knows if Walsh/Michaud or Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps can step it up. Pairs is wide open for the GPF for any number of teams.

text_skate

Imo it depends, if H/K put last season behind them or not. I'd love to see them rise.

Hope, that JvR/S are ready for their early GP and make the most of their opportunity. Was really sad, when they botched their GP last year and later couldn't perform at WC due to C19. Loved their programs, too.

Sylvia

TBD
GS article on Jennifer Janse van Rensburg/Benjamin Steffan who will begin their season at Nebelhorn Trophy:
Excerpt about their new programs:
Following their army course, the German Champions returned to their home base in Oberstdorf at the end of May and started to build their new Free Dance set to “Prelude (Age of Heroes)” by Hungarian composer Balázs Havasi. The idea came from Natalia Karamysheva, the wife and co-coach of their long-time coach Rostislav Sinicyn. The Ukrainian ice dance coach and choreographer Maria Tumanovska Chaika, who fled from the war in her home country and is now based in Oberstdorf, mounted the program. The ice dancers have worked with her in the previous years as well.
“Natalia Karamysheva heard this music and said she thought immediately of us,” Janse van Rensburg noted. “We listened to it when we were with the army and we were very excited about it right away. This this something we really see ourselves in.”
“It is a contrast to what we did last year,” Steffan added, referring to their James Bond-themed Free Dance of the 2021-22 season. “It is full of energy. It is demanding to skate to. The program itself is demanding the way we built it. It is interesting, energetic and powerful. I think this is something that we can portray quite well.”
For the Rhythm Dance, the dancers and their coaches selected two Samba pieces, “Safari” and “Move It” plus the Cha Cha “Havana” for the middle part. This routine was also choregraphed by Tumanovska-Chaika.
Their updated ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00102043.htm

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the previous German news thread in May 2022:
German Fed has published the National Team PK - NK 1 and Junior / Novice Team NK 2.

@Karen-W copied out the names in the previous thread (splits since then are noted below):

PK Team Members:
Women - Kristina Isaev, Nicole Schott
Men - Kai Jagoda, Nikita Starostin
Pairs - Alisa Efimova/Ruben Blommaert, Annika Hocke/Robert Kunkel, Letizia Roscher/Luis Schuster; (eta) Minerva Hase & Nolan Seegert have split but are still individual members of PK (thanks @Sera)
Dance - Jennifer Janse van Rensburg/Benjamin Steffan, Lara Luft/Maximilian Pfisterer; (eta) Katarina Mueller & Tim Dieck have split but are still individual members of PK

NK1 Team Members:
Women - Aya Hatakawa, Olesya Ray
Men - Davide Calderari, Luca Fuenfer, Hugo Hermann, Arthur Mai, Louis Weissert
Pairs - none
Dance - Darya Grimm/Michal Savitskiy, Karla Maria Karl/Kai Hoferichter, Viktoria Lopusova/Asaf Kazimov (eta) Anne-Marie Wolf & Max Liebers have split - he is listed as an individual member of PK (refer to @Sera's post below)

NK2 Team Members:
Women - Valentina Andrianova, Marie Bierwert, Sophia Edler, Sophie Erhardt, Anna Gerke, Julia Grabowski, Frida Hermann, Marielen Hirling, Jenna Klemm, Sasha Tandogan, Katharina Vialichka
Men - Soner Ozturk, Leon Rojkov, Richard von Goler
Pairs - Aliyah Ackerman/Tobija Harms, Sofia Krause/Albert Loor, Clara-Sophie Lampe/Ilia Trofymov, Sonja Loewenherz/Robert Loewenherz, Josephine Lossius/Artem Rotar
Dance - Alexia Kruk/Jan Eisenhaber, Finja Maeder/Piero Joel Lopez Moreno, Mia Lee Mayer/Tobias Huber, Milla Ruud Reitan/Nikita Remeshevskiy

Last edited:

Sera

Re-posting here from the previous German news thread in May 2022:

@Karen-W copied out the names in the previous thread (splits since then are noted below):

PK Team Members:
Women - Kristina Isaev, Nicole Schott
Men - Kai Jagoda, Nikita Starostin
Pairs - Alisa Efimova/Ruben Blommaert, Minerva Hase/Nolan Seegert (split), Annika Hocke/Robert Kunkel, Letizia Roscher/Luis Schuster
Dance - Jennifer Janse van Rensburg/Benjamin Steffan, Lara Luft/Maximilian Pfisterer, Katarina Mueller/Tim Dieck (split)

Hase, Seegert, Müller and Dieck are still PK Team members, they are now listed individually:
https://eislauf-union.de/nationalmannschaft/perspektiv-team

Dancers and pair skaters can be on the German national team even if they don't have a partner (at least for a limited time).

Max Liebers is also listed on his own now on the NK 1 team, so I guess Wolf/Liebers have split.
https://eislauf-union.de/nationalmannschaft/bundeskader/nachwuchskader1

Sabine-Yuna

Hase, Seegert, Müller and Dieck are still PK Team members, they are now listed individually:
https://eislauf-union.de/nationalmannschaft/perspektiv-team

Dancers and pair skaters can be on the German national team even if they don't have a partner (at least for a limited time).

Max Liebers is also listed on his own now on the NK 1 team, so I guess Wolf/Liebers have split.
https://eislauf-union.de/nationalmannschaft/bundeskader/nachwuchskader1
Liebers skates with Charise Matthaei now

sandra_persch

Great Results for Team Germany at the JGP in LAT.
Valentina earned herself the German Ladies spot for JGP POL 2.
The final one will likely be decided after Julia's skate at JGP POL 1.

All dance and pairs spots have been allocated already.
The final mens spot for JGP ITA is still TBD

Sabine-Yuna

Great Results for Team Germany at the JGP in LAT.
Valentina earned herself the German Ladies spot for JGP POL 2.
The final one will likely be decided after Julia's skate at JGP POL 1.

All dance and pairs spots have been allocated already.
The final mens spot for JGP ITA is still TBD

Great skates of the girl an the dance team. But men and pairs doesn't seem promising so far in JGP.

sandra_persch

Great skates of the girl an the dance team. But men and pairs doesn't seem promising so far in JGP.
I usually expect a total disaster, sorry Team Germany, in the early JGP, so seeing the dance teams and Valentina doing so well was a nice surprise.

Regarding the men I dont know what scares me more. How Luca and Arthur did so far or the fact that there seems to be nobody else even "worthy" of a substitute nomination.

As for the pairs. They are all up from Novice and I really hope they learned a lot at their first event and can improve big time for the second.

Sabine-Yuna

Why are E/B medal contenders and H/K who had the better SP not? There is a bunch of pairs in Europe that could win a medal or not.

Karen-W

Why are E/B medal contenders and H/K who had the better SP not? There is a bunch of pairs in Europe that could win a medal or not.

Because @Quadjump posted after E/B skated (#1) and before H/K did (#9). ;)
Yes, to what Sylvia said. Additionally, H/K have had a rough go of it the past couple seasons and today was a big step up for them in terms of delivering on their potential. If E/B and H/K both skate like this (or better) at Euros, then I firmly believe they'll be on the podium ahead of pretty much every other team save Safina/Berulava. Elements and skating skills put them ahead of teams from pretty much every other country except the Georgians.

RoseRed

Yes, to what Sylvia said. Additionally, H/K have had a rough go of it the past couple seasons and today was a big step up for them in terms of delivering on their potential. If E/B and H/K both skate like this (or better) at Euros, then I firmly believe they'll be on the podium ahead of pretty much every other team save Safina/Berulava. Elements and skating skills put them ahead of teams from pretty much every other country except the Georgians.
There's also Metelkina/Parkman who could be competitive with them, since since Georgia has 2 spots for Euros.

Karen-W

There's also Metelkina/Parkman who could be competitive with them, since since Georgia has 2 spots for Euros.
I'm going to give a longer response over in the general Pairs discussion in the Trash Can, but, basically, I agree, they could be competitive with E/B, H/K and S/B for the Euros podium.

Quadjump

Efimova/Blommaert got the GP spot at skate Canada. Great!! Pairs are packed with Germans.

Is a second GP spot within reach so that they might even qualify for the GPF?

Am I dreaming too big?

Last edited:

Karen-W

Efimova/Blommaert got the GP spot at skate Canada. Great!! Pairs are packed with Germans.

Is a second GP spot within reach so that they might even qualify for the GPF?

Am I dreaming to big?
I don't know that it's out of reach, but I don't know that I think it's all that likely.

The Pairs alternates list for the GP includes any and all teams that are achieving the total score minimum at the early Challengers, so it now has 11 teams on it and 2 more competing at Finlandia this week. It might come down to which fed is doing the inviting as to whether or not Efimova/Blommaert can get a second invitation - eg, if Chernyshova/Windsor do wind up withdrawing from NHK because of his ankle injury, Japan might decide to invite their new senior pairs team, Yunoki/Ichihashi rather than the top scoring team available on the alternates list (EfiBlom).

As far as making the GPF - again, it would really depend on where they wound up at for a 2nd GP. The fields at GPdF and Espoo are really strong (SDDes, PengJinx2, SafBerux2, HocKun, GhiAmbrx2, SmirSiia), slightly less so at SkAm & NHK, and comparable to SCI at MKJW. If they were to get a 2nd assignment at MKJW, then, yes, I'd expect that they could easily qualify for the GPF, but my guess is that some of the other teams waiting for one assignment will be invited first before any of the teams on the alternates list get a 2nd assignment.

text_skate

Watched Roscher/Schuster's SP. Very cautious, quite solid though, improved twist, showed, what they can do, kept nerves in check
acc. to SID (sport information agency):
"We're proud of ourselves in the face of so many new things here," said Schuster, and Roscher added: "It's our first time in America, our first time at a Grand Prix, and we've never skated in front of such a large audience before."
Keeping fingers crossed for a similar good FS

Quadjump

Watched Roscher/Schuster's SP. Very cautious, quite solid though, improved twist, showed, what they can do, kept nerves in check
acc. to SID (sport information agency):

Keeping fingers crossed for a similar good FS
Her jumping skills are so weak. I have less hope for a great future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information