Gender Based salaries in an orchestra

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
@pat c The Boston Globe covered this extensively when the suit was filed. It boils down to supply and demand. There are many qualified flautists, not so many oboists. Of course, it would be easier if all the first chairs got paid the same, but orchestras work like the real world where the head of engineering likely makes more than the head of marketing.

pat c

@pat c The Boston Globe covered this extensively when the suit was filed. It boils down to supply and demand. There are many qualified flautists, not so many oboists. Of course, it would be easier if all the first chairs got paid the same, but orchestras work like the real world where the head of engineering likely makes more than the head of marketing.

I can see that, but a $64,000? It seems a little extreme. But no matter what, I found it interesting as our neighbor's daughter plays for the Montreal Symphony Orchestra.

snoopy

I think I read there are more female flautists than male flautists. There is a phenomena where once females dominate an industry, the perceived value goes down (teachers, Human Resources, etc). I would be curious to see the pay scale of flautists to oboeists in the 1950’s as compared to today. Was it more even then or was there as big of a disparity?

Japanfan

I think I read there are more female flautists than male flautists. There is a phenomena where once females dominate an industry, the perceived value goes down (teachers, Human Resources, etc).

I've seen evidence of that phenomena.

IIRC one example is that of a psychologist (female dominated) versus engineer (male dominant), both with PhDs.

Mozart

I've got 99 problems but a colon ain't 1
There used to be more male professional orchestral flutists than females. Actually there was a time not so long ago that females were not allowed to play in professional orchestras.

ETA: I purposely wrote flutist instead of flautist. I have issues with flautist lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information