From Russia With Love [#39]: Into Winter 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Imagine being excited just because a skater is "old" not by merits or standatrds had the rest of the otehr girls were healthy. Lets be honest grandma Tuk wouldn't be close to the selection roaster. She is a bygone and has been 2012 pre Sochi era, people only harp her for her age group.

starrynight

lol Tukt is an Empress! She will always be the first lady whose skating I loved. I have enjoyed following her all these seasons very much. It's a pleasure following Liza, because even though she goes through rough patches, she just gets calmly back to work and keeps trying. A very pleasant change from the drama surrounding other areas of the ladies field.

Ka3sha

Wanted to answer to the poster above, but will just quote Mishin’s words from yesterday:
Lisa is to some extent the "Statue of Liberty" for girls over 20, she holds a torch that illuminates the path to figure skating. For girls who are 20, 24or maybe 25, she is the "Statue of Liberty". A statue in the rays of the sunset...
I am very glad that Lisa has won such a good name in figure skating, confirmation of my words was the reaction of the audience here, who applauded not to her good element or landed jump, but for the fact that she is a "Stoic", like Dreiser's. The second point: there are athletes who have gone through their life without leaving anything negative or unkind. I think Liza Tuktamysheva became the second person who did not leave any doubts about the purity of her career and the light of her thoughts. And the first person is Lesha Urmanov. He went through his life in figure skating, and no one has never evaluated him negatively, even ill-wishers. And there will not be a person who will say something negative, unfriendly about Liza as well.

And no, people love her and excited not because she is old, but because she is a wonderful young woman, great athlete and an amazing example of how important it is to never give up and have a decent jumping technique :lol:

starrynight

And no, people love her and excited not because she is old, but because she is a wonderful young woman, great athlete and an amazing example of how important it is to never give up and have a decent jumping technique :lol:

Yes there's a light that radiates from Tuktamysheva. I think it's calm determination.

And that's very unique in such a cut throat field like the Russian ladies. All the drama and fighting and yet, Tuktamysheva kind of exists outside that narrative and just does her thing. It's great. I enjoy it. It's just a pity this will be a very different Worlds for her without an audience and the usual trimmings of a major event. But I'm sure that even getting named to the team was an achievement.

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Some of us have been watching skating since long before 2010, and enjoy watching her.
I remember watching her live at her first Skate Canada in 2011 and she was very young, amazingly slow but a great little jumper. She was the first young teenager from Russia. I think she is so much better now, still a bit slow but very expressive and has great ice presence, she owns it. She deserves to be the empress lasting this long surrounded by 14 year olds.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I remember watching her live at her first Skate Canada in 2011 and she was very young, amazingly slow but a great little jumper. She was the first young teenager from Russia. I think she is so much better now, still a bit slow but very expressive and has great ice presence, she owns it. She deserves to be the empress lasting this long surrounded by 14 year olds.
I will never forget meeting her and complimenting her at 2013 Euros in Zagreb. She was so young and adorable and her English was almost non-existent (as is my Russian, still) but she was sweet and smiley. Unfortunately for humankind, charisma is one of those things you either have or haven't got, and Liza has always had it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
In Russia, making the world (or Olympic) team in the ladies field is a Huge accomplishment. The fact that a past world champion persisted for years and made it to world for only the second time says a lot about her heart. Congratulations Liza!

I can’t help thinking about past Russian ladies who also persisted. Maria Butyrskaya at age 26, Alena Leonova for years. However, the competition faced by Liza was the toughest. Yes, there was some luck involved but everyone needs a little luck. Had she retired after 22, it would have been understandable, but she is still challenging herself, getting better where she was weak, and working on a quad toe. I admire her so much!

Last edited:

puglover

With all the bad coach exposes, it is so refreshing to see Liza's relationship with Mishin. That seems like such a genuinely caring and affectionate skater/coach relationship. Through ups and downs, their respect for each other seems to have remained paramount. That has to have played a major role in her ability to perservere.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
so you just agreed with my argument, you only like her coz she lasted this long for her "OLD" age.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
so you just agreed with my argument, you only like her coz she lasted this long for her "OLD" age.
No I like her because she is “expressive” and has nice “nice presence” on the ice. Which she did not have has a 14 year old. Read my comment.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
You’re just trolling and being annoying, but I like talking about her so I’ll continue as well.

Think of how many Russian skaters have come and gone in that time after being at or near the top of the sport. Think of how many showed promise and then couldn’t keep up. Tuktamysheva is the ONLY one who has kept up through two Olympic cycles, and actually it’s really three. She’s working hard on increasing her jump difficulty, and she’s still staying competitive with the top 5 overall skaters in the world.

This is the golden age of Russian ladies’ skating, and she’s still very much in the picture. Who cares about her age?

Get over it.

starrynight

With all the bad coach exposes, it is so refreshing to see Liza's relationship with Mishin. That seems like such a genuinely caring and affectionate skater/coach relationship. Through ups and downs, their respect for each other seems to have remained paramount. That has to have played a major role in her ability to perservere.

I know. It's nice. I think the respect the have for each other shows that Liza is a good student and also Mishin is a good coach.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Heads up - hopefully someone else can fill-in details.

Russia One channel is cooking up something very special for this Saturday (6 March)! I was in the kitchen just now, with Russia One News on the TV...an advertisement for a new figure skating special show that’s happening on Saturday called “Grandiose Show” with much of the just-selected national team. I ran to the living room but just caught a glimpse of Scherbakova...

If anybody knows more, please advise. This show is not yet on my on-screen Comcast guide.

Tinami Amori

Heads up - hopefully someone else can fill-in details.

Russia One channel is cooking up something very special for this Saturday (6 March)! I was in the kitchen just now, with Russia One News on the TV...an advertisement for a new figure skating special show that’s happening on Saturday called “Grandiose Show” with much of the just-selected national team. I ran to the living room but just caught a glimpse of Scherbakova...

If anybody knows more, please advise. This show is not yet on my on-screen Comcast guide.
I think this is "Ice Age - Live" - top skaters will be performing shows, the "ice age" couples also. And Zagi will do a show, and will be hosting.

Another one is - Alexei Mishin's Jubilee.....

Or Tutberdize Ice show "Champions on Ice".

All the show taking place "close in date and time".

Ka3sha

Channel 1 will show the “Factory of the champions” documentary specially filmed for Mishin’s 80th birthday. It features his current students and stars from the past, his colleagues, friends and family, including his grandchildren and his 90y.o. sister :)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Channel 1 will show the “Factory of the champions” documentary specially filmed for Mishin’s 80th birthday. It features his current students and stars from the past, his colleagues, friends and family, including his grandchildren and his 90y.o. sister :)

Thanks, all. I just saw the ad for this one too...Jubileii Alexia Mishina to precede the Grandiose Show.

Looks like it’s going to be one big “skating blast” this weekend on Russia One! I’ll watch on tv but most of the channel’s programs also eventually stream.

Last edited:

Tak

It is so nice to see Liza Tuktamysheva back at the Worlds, again.
The long awaited rematch between 2015 Worlds Gold and Silver medalists (Satoko Miyahara) at the Worlds stage is something I look forward to, although they are both third one to be named as a member of their respective national teams, currently. Good Luck to both in Sweden!

Tinami Amori

I was thinking - is this the longest gap ever for the ladies to have competed at Worlds?
Irina Slutskaya - 1994 - 2006 (where she mostly medaled and won 2x, and had a heart condition). Plus she made the team in 3 Olympics and earned medals in 2 of them (silver & bronze).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information