Feral Kitty Question

ballettmaus

For a while (while she was younger), the family cat would start to play more or less the moment my parents switched off the light to go to bed. She would do stuff like play with a hazelnut and get it stuck under wood (or something that it makes a noise against) or climb up the wooden wardrobe and make some noise up there (and occasionally jump down and land on my parents' bed).

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think you can teach her not to do that. My cats tried that when we first got them and I wasn't having any of it and they stopped. They may run up and down the house but they don't try to wake me up.

Also, you should be playing with her before bedtime or maybe before supper. Or both. To dissipate some of the energy.

vireo

Ok...so Boo Radley likes to play in the middle of the night. She runs back and forth over my tummy until I wake up. Usually she is affectionate and likes to sit with me (or on me.) I make her wait until a reasonable hour to play. Is this happening because she is a playful, young adult? Do you think I am doing something wrong?

I think cats are nocturnal by nature. I adopted and tamed a litter of three feral kittens. At night they would chase each other around my bedroom and I would awaken to their furry little bodies sailing over me as they leapt from the floor to the bed to the armoire and so forth. It was unnerving.

I solved the problem by buying several of those "cat teaser" type toys. The kind that are sticks or rods with feathers or streamers or other things cats like to chase attached at the end. Two or three times a day I played with the kittens with the cat teasers (about 10 or 15 minute sessions). The kitties got enough exercise through the play sessions that they became less active at night, allowing me to sleep in peace.

sk8pics

Yep, make sure you play with them during the day so they’re tired. And then, lock them out of your bedroom. I have never allowed any of my cats access to my bedroom. Some of them complained for a few days, but they got the message because they never ever got me to open the door when they were complaining.

Cachoo

Cats are like that. You could close your room door?
There is no door—long story. I am going to make sure our playtime is especially long and physical before bed. I found a battery operated round tent with a “mouse” to chase and she hates it. The whirring noise scares her. Live and learn.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I have a feral cat, KittyKay. She showed up only weeks after Hubs' mother passed away, so there might be a reincarnation deal. She was all alone, not weaned or just barely, and found a warm spot in the garage by the hot water heater (it was December). She has always run away whenever she'd see Hubs or me. But in the last few months she's been MUCH more friendly. She still doesn't like to be touched, but whenever I go outside now she runs to me. (and then darts when I reach down to touch her.... lol). But she's so much better with people these days. Even the yard guys don't seem to be a bother to her anymore. It's going on two years in December, I still wish I could pet her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information