Mad for Skating

I never thought I’d have to do this, but right now I’m just feeling really sad about the split and I want to reminisce about the good times...

I first became a Stolbova/Klimov uber at the 2014 Olympics. For me “The Addams Family” is still probably my favorite FS of theirs (I know this will upset the “Man and Shadow” stans but just my opinion.

I know their programs in the 2014-15 season (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Notre-Dame de Paris) didn’t get such great reviews, but I actually didn’t mind them at all. To me Notre-Dame was the first time they did a classic “Russian” style program, and it turned out quite nice when it was skated clean.

My favorite short program definitely came in the 2015-16 season: “I put a spell on you”. I felt like this was the program where they really started to grow up and shed their role as “that young pair”. As for the “Man and Shadow” program, I initially didn’t like it, but after GPF I had no choice but to change my mind!

I was pretty shocked when they decided to skate to Clair de Lune the next year. It was definitely a huge step outside their comfort zone but I think they managed it, even though tbh I usually fall asleep during Clair de Lune programs. The FS that year (I can never remember the names of all the music cuts in it, so I just call it “the depression program”) took some time to grow on me, but after they used it to jump from 13th to 5th at Worlds, I loved it.

I was also a big fan of their short program to “Besame Mucho” this year; to me it had a strong resemblance to “I put a spell on you”. I think the “Carmen” FS was a very unique take on Carmen - it didn’t have the powerful chemistry of Virtue/Moir’s version, but there was almost a sense of rivalry between them, if that makes sense. I think it worked because they both had such a strong individual presence on the ice. It still breaks my heart that these programs never got to be performed on Olympic ice, but it can’t be helped...

As for galas, my favorite is definitely their “Hello” from the 2015 GPF and 2016 Worlds (if you haven’t seen it, go watch it ASAP). Also the gala from 2017 Euros when they poked fun at their own injuries was just adorable.

(Ok, enough talking, y’all know that I love them, now over to you - which programs were your favorites?)

Emerald66

I have a lot of favorites.
Asturias sp from 10/11
Claire De Lune ex (Beautiful!)
Modern Bolero sp (remember how voidy this was? lol)
Polovstian dances lp (awesome costumes too.)
Interview with the Vampire sp (only skated clean once at 2013 Russian nats, but it was a great program for them. Once again, cool costumes.)
Flamenco sp
Addams Family lp (The program that put them on the map, made them popular, and why they became stars. Need I say more?)
Rolling Stones ex
Crouching tiger Hidden dragon sp (I'll always be bummed they didn't perform this at Shanghai World's '15. I know they would have rocked the roof off the place.)
Notre Dame De Paris lp (I always get a chill when I watch their Gpf performance of it.)
I Put a Spell on You sp (Hot)
The Unknown Known lp (One of the most original pairs programs ever)
Claire De Lune sp (Magical. Such a shame they bombed at 2017 world's with it. I cried honestly)
Rene Aubry lp (Edgy and Fierce. I wish they had reused it for the Olympic season.)
I regret to say I didn't love Besame Mucho or Carmen. They were ok, but nothing special. But damn am I going to miss Ksenia and Fedor so much. They were so distinct and original and attractive on the ice. They'll always be one of my favorites.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
SP: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon by miles. Loved it.

Free: Notre Dame De Paris

SP: I also quite liked I Put A Spell On You but then everyone and their mother started using it. Not their fault tho.

Mad for Skating

I have a lot of favorites.
Asturias sp from 10/11
Claire De Lune ex (Beautiful!)
Modern Bolero sp (remember how voidy this was? lol)
Polovstian dances lp (awesome costumes too.)
Interview with the Vampire sp (only skated clean once at 2013 Russian nats, but it was a great program for them. Once again, cool costumes.)
Flamenco sp
Addams Family lp (The program that put them on the map, made them popular, and why they became stars. Need I say more?)
Rolling Stones ex
Crouching tiger Hidden dragon sp (I'll always be bummed they didn't perform this at Shanghai World's '15. I know they would have rocked the roof off the place.)
Notre Dame De Paris lp (I always get a chill when I watch their Gpf performance of it.)
I Put a Spell on You sp (Hot)
The Unknown Known lp (One of the most original pairs programs ever)
Claire De Lune sp (Magical. Such a shame they bombed at 2017 world's with it. I cried honestly)
Rene Aubry lp (Edgy and Fierce. I wish they had reused it for the Olympic season.)
I regret to say I didn't love Besame Mucho or Carmen. They were ok, but nothing special. But damn am I going to miss Ksenia and Fedor so much. They were so distinct and original and attractive on the ice. They'll always be one of my favorites.

Wow, this is basically every program of theirs! I admit I didn’t watch every single program from their pre-Sochi days, but I looooooooved Interview with the Vampire at that blessed nationals, I don’t know how I forgot that one!
I actually didn’t cry over Clair de Lune at Worlds (which is a miracle because I cry at everything they do), but I definitely cried when they fought their way back up to 5th with that epic free skate! One of the most emotionally satisfying events for me.

SP: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon by miles. Loved it.

Free: Notre Dame De Paris

SP: I also quite liked I Put A Spell On You but then everyone and their mother started using it. Not their fault tho.

Agree. Guess they have That Power to make everyone skate to “I put a spell on you”, we stan living gods!

briancoogaert

I loved Notre-Dame de Paris. Because of the last throw-3 Salchow at the very end, with her amazing glide and power.
Of course, not at 2015 Euros. :p
And loved her look at that time (long hair).

oleada

A lot of my favorites have been mentioned but I loved their La Strada FS they had as juniors. I loved the 2A they had in a a circle. Ksenia has such a great 2A!

Mad for Skating

I loved Notre-Dame de Paris. Because of the last throw-3 Salchow at the very end, with her amazing glide and power.
Of course, not at 2015 Euros. :p
And loved her look at that time (long hair).

That throw at the end was epic! They had it in their Addams Family and Carmen programs too and I always held my breath on it. It always reminded me of when Aliona Savchenko went for the throw in the last minute of their "Nutcracker" program.

Oh well, even legends miss their signature trick once in a while...I remember reading that Anton Sikharulidze screwed up the lift right at the end of the 1998 Olympics and joked "That's the new ending to our program. If you don't like it, we'll be happy to change it." I guess everyone has their Anton moment :D

And while her short hair now is totally bada$$, sometimes I miss her pretty curled ponytail too. Ah, what a dilemma, when you are gorgeous no matter what hairstyle you wear...

(for those of you who don't remember, I have pics) Dark https://vk.com/photo-64888695_344558854
I didn't mind when she added the lighter highlights either https://vk.com/id1017934?z=photo1017934_355482995/photos1017934 but when she went full-on blonde I gotta say it was not a great look.

Not to mention her Notre-Dame dress was really beautiful. It was simple (no sequins - what kind of skating costume is this???), but it had this vintage feel I just adored.

Mad for Skating

A lot of my favorites have been mentioned but I loved their La Strada FS they had as juniors. I loved the 2A they had in a a circle. Ksenia has such a great 2A!

O M G yes!!! La Strada was adorable! And literally Ksenia could do nothing but double axels for four and a half minutes and I'd give her the Olympic gold. It was always so impressive that she could jump just as high as Fedor could. #TrueTinyQueen #MoveOverSatoko

Also can we talk about those La Strada costumes for a minute LOL? https://www.instagram.com/p/BmhuUg2DAqS/?taken-by=queenkseniakingfedor

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information