Farewell, Fanyus

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Or will they stick around for a while?

This thread is to help keep discussion of the fanyus out of the Hanyu retirement thread, by request. So if you have any thoughts on fanyus past, present, and future, please put them here instead of there. Thanks.

Willin

They are all threatening to quit watching skating when he retires, so I'm hoping that happens! (Though I don't think it will)

As part of this thread I think we need to create a list of the Fanyu's greatest his - some of their most out of touch ramblings.

My favorite was their unhinged ramblings about how another male skater was "plagiarizing" Yuzu for using Romeo and Juliet, as if 100 other skaters hadn't also used it. He was skating to so many warhorses at that time that if using a tired old warhorse was plagiarism he'd have been the biggest offender.

sap5

Cross-posting from other thread.

The question of when a person has an obligation to say something when his fans act out of control is an interesting one. Part of what I think about is what those fans are doing, and how much the person knows about it. In the case of public damage in Torino, I lean in favor of someone like Hanyu making a statement to stop the craziness -- I would hope that would cause some fans to think twice about how they show their love to their idol. It won't stop everyone, but I hope it would affect most fans.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
If we're talking greatest hits, there was a post on Twitter a couple of days ago saying that if his SP from Beijing had been scored correctly it would have been a world record. You know the one where he missed a REQUIRED ELEMENT, no big deal.

skateboy

Hearing about Yuzu's retirement is the best news I've heard all week.

I really dislike Fanyus and I've never been crazy about Yuzu himself. He could have -- and should have -- stepped in when his fans became impossible. I've always found him cocky and entitled. His first Oly win was in the worst skated Mens LP in Olympic history (including his own) and his win in 2018 was with a mediocre LP that not one judge placed 1st. You'd think he would have a little more humility...

Thank you for letting me say that.

Last edited:

On My Own

I hope 10% of them leave, at least.

I don't wish to keep track of every little thing these people do, however, the things that have struck me as hypocritical on a rather grand scale are:

1. Saying Vincent Zhou is a Trump supporter because he attended an honours ceremony after Pyeongchang, and somehow neglecting Hanyu doing the same with Shinzo Abe (whom they hated as a lot of them recently revealed) after Sochi.
2. Making a giant deal out of Nathan Chen's NFTs being environmentally unfriendly and nicknaming him "NFThan", and yet somehow managing to ignore Hanyu marketing himself in China - I don't think I need to explain which is worse and why.
3. Saying this guy and that guy is racist... and yet ignoring the Chinese section of their fanbase using gorilla emojis because Chen did hip hop. (and really just the Chinese section of that fanbase in general)

1 and 2 would matter less to me if it weren't a giant dose of hypocrisy (and not just of the "he deserved 10s on PCS despite all these mistakes" kind). 3, well, it's disgusting, and reveals where a lot of them are. Not all of them, as I'm sure 3 would get criticism if pointed out to some people who don't know about it, but enough would pull the whataboutist card for me to just be happy they might not be around anymore.

VGThuy

What has gotten me the most confused us how it seems that the Japanese fans seem, for the most part, to be passionate but not shocking the conscience of sporting community when it comes to relative uber behavior. However, the Chinese and Western (both North American and European) ones are the ones that seem the be the most rabid and cross the already high line and lenient/relaxed measurement of “acceptable” uber behavior.

Last edited:

exNyer

They are generally figure skating fans. If they were they wouldn’t be making derogatory comments towards YH’s competitors. The hostility aimed towards Shoma & Nathan in particular are beyond acceptable fan behavior. YH has a lot of power and chose to never talk.
One of the only good things about COVID was the ban of tossing anything on the ice for the skaters. That was always a skating hazard. The extra time the sweepers needed to pick up that poo crap caused stressful delays to whomever skated after YH
Why wasn’t YH called out for inappropriate touching (face/butt)of many of the male skaters during galas and press conferences??

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
The Fanyu meltdowns on Twitter have been absolutely epic.
Guess where I got my status from.

I have also read several tweets that present him like a ****ing messiah who "only exists to save all of us".

I got really mad at the Fanyus when Denis Ten passed away because they were like: "He disturbed Hanyu's warm-up once, so he got what he deserved."
Absolutely messed up.

On My Own

On My Own

Totally normal reaction to your favourite skater launching a YouTube channel - refuse to believe your favourite skater is behind it.

Even more normal is that I've already seen people justifying it and thinking they did literally nothing wrong. They're just sad he left, not that they mass reported and bullied a random account. Wouldn't even care about what they did if it had been fake.

Also seeing calls for mass reporting youtube accounts that have... well IDK tbh. I haven't searched for anything to do with him in a while now. It just pops up on twitter like the spam it is.

ostile17

Even more normal is that I've already seen people justifying it and thinking they did literally nothing wrong. They're just sad he left, not that they mass reported and bullied a random account. Wouldn't even care about what they did if it had been fake.

Also seeing calls for mass reporting youtube accounts that have... well IDK tbh. I haven't searched for anything to do with him in a while now. It just pops up on twitter like the spam it is.

Why didn't he (his reps) get the account verified? So stupid

On My Own

Why didn't he (his reps) get the account verified? So stupid
IDK, but it made for probably the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

BTW, is there a way to get accounts like these banned? They just keep popping up twitter now, and I'm just tired of it. It's been nauseating.

Pretty sure some of the "big fanyus" on weibo (50k+ followers, some have 150k+) have told these people to "defend" Hanyu and fanyus on english social media, which is why I'm seeing more and more of their garbage on this side now. And the amazing defenders against all things racist that are the fanyus on english social media don't care about it and would rather use their mass reporting powers on Hanyu's twitter.

On My Own

On My Own

盘点2022年百大辱华分子 -> ⭐ A list of 100 people (eta: well not necessarily people, it includes the great translation movement) who were perceived as insulting China in 2022 ⭐

002 Nathan Chen

Chinese-American male figure skater, because his competition performance surpassed Yuzuru Hanyu at the end of his career, he experienced hostility from many Chinese fans of Yuzuru Hanyu. He used the music of the banned film "Mao's Last Dancer" as the competition track in the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics. Since this film tells the story of a Chinese ballet dancer Li Cunxin who "defected" to the United States, Chen's The song selection was questioned by Chinese netizens as an intentional insult to China. In 2021, Nathan Chen agreed with American figure skater Evan Bates' "inappropriate remarks about China" in an interview with an American reporter. After the project's gold medal, he was dubbed "Banana Man" by some netizens on Chinese social media.

003 Vincent Zhou

The Chinese-American male figure skater, because he agreed with Nathan Chen's point of view in an interview with Chen in 2019, was regarded by Chinese netizens as an insult to China like Chen.
I hope the "GOAT" shovels more Chinazi money into his pockets ⭐

Last edited:

On My Own

Man nearly faints after performance, Chinese fanyus believe he was acting 👏👏👏 (ETA: this particular one I'm making sure to post because it very much should be exposed just how little regard these people have for athletes, and so actually no we shouldn't be "unhappy" that 🕳️ buggered off. Twitter currently is filled with concern about the event planning and for M/K and Jin Boyang, but these people think it's extremely clever to spew trash like this about Jin)

LOL. @ShuPa come back to me when this proud achievement of Hanyu's makes its way to his wikipedia page so it can then make the featured article section on his next birthday. Until then, he and his fans are all talk about "humanity" and "racism" and "ethnocentrism", as the lot of you refuse to acknowledge the sick rumours his Chinese fanbase was spreading about Chen and his Chinese-American family. I better see the inclusion of him being well-loved by the Chinese government, and it better be written in the same way as the section on Hitler and Nazis is on Sonja Henie's wikipedia page. Until then, don't be too shocked people are happy to be rid of psychopaths, it's a normal human reaction.

One step cloooooooooser.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Ilia was with Yuzuru in the original picture.
Ilia shared this SOI Japan photo with Yuzuru earlier today: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqp6Q4sLEf8/

ETA one Hanyu fan's tweeted reply:
Yuzuru is so humble and kind. I know that he wouldn't be happy about his fans bullying someone. He was also like that once. People bullied and booed him. Please, don't embarrass Yuzu like that. Our actions reflect on him and his name. Don't make things hard for him. #HANYUYUZURU

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information