Craig Simpson & Jamie Sale

VGThuy

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Alberta is a very conservative province, dependent on oil/tar sands for its economy, and seems to be the cradle of civilization for Canada's Q-Anon population.

Albertans aren't dumb, en masse. (Though some days give me pause)

Which is impressive considering it happened in Forrest Hill, a VERY rich neighbourhood of Toronto, Ontario. It certainly felt a very Toronto thing.

My understanding is he rested the leaf blower on his expensive car right after using it, and that's what caught fire. I'm sure many in Alberta would know better. My family in Northern Ontario certainly thought it was stupid.
Thanks for the explanation, now I know even more regarding the context of Alberta and now Toronto. I double-checked the post to make sure I recalled it correctly, and yeah, the poster said “Alberta”. Again, I’m not Canadian so I had no idea how true that statement is. Maybe it was made because of that poster’s impressions of Alberta or because Kurt is from Alberta and the story seemed quite unusual and I assume it doesn’t happen often in that part of Toronto…not saying it happens often in Alberta either.

greenapple

My understanding is he rested the leaf blower on his expensive car right after using it, and that's what caught fire. I'm sure many in Alberta would know better. My family in Northern Ontario certainly thought it was stupid.
Yes. I remember reading somewhere when it happened that he put it down on the leather car seat - which of course took just minutes to ignite.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
So I found the two articles dated Oct 31 & Nov 1, 2019. I think they are interesting to read to see where she was mentally in the fall 2019, a bit about her struggles and also why she didn't try coaching (someone wondered on the last page).

She talks a lot about having good support around her in the times she struggled and I can only suspect she found similar support in the spring of 2020 but unfortunately with the wrong people. I can also understand why Theo Fleury was vulnerable (addiction issues, dissatisfied with how his NHL career ended AND a victim of long term sexual abuse by his coach making him, imo, particularly susceptible to Qanon beliefs which him and Jamie have shared on their social media).

Reading those articles I can only imagine Jamie has a new vision board and 100% believes she is doing the right thing and she has to keep fighting and pushing herself along to reach her goal of exposing the grand conspiracy and waking us all up, even if it means alienating herself from her family, friends and children. She probably thinks in the end they will all thank her :(

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Reading those articles I can only imagine Jamie has a new vision board and 100% believes she is doing the right thing and she has to keep fighting and pushing herself along to reach her goal of exposing the grand conspiracy and waking us all up, even if it means alienating herself from her family, friends and children. She probably thinks in the end they will all thank her :(
She has even said something to that effect.

As for why she might be prone to such beliefs:

“Keep in mind, personality tests are not very good measures of things we don’t understand very well,” Ms. Bowes said. “You’re going to get a fuzzy picture, especially the first time through.”

And I do think it's important to acknowledge this and have some humility about our ability to assess other people. That said:

The personality features that were solidly linked to conspiracy beliefs included some usual suspects: entitlement, self-centered impulsivity, cold-heartedness (the confident injustice collector), elevated levels of depressive moods and anxiousness (the moody figure, confined by age or circumstance).

So while I definitely acknowledge the fact that personality tests are not very good measures (and people are, regardless of tests, too complex to be so easily quantifiable), I recognize some conspiracy-minded people I know in that description. I do not know Jamie Sale or know how she might or might not fit into those descriptions. But I sure do know a couple of people who fit the general description of the confident injustice collector.

shutterbug

There’s a bit of a debate happening in Canadian media circles as to whether this article was a good idea. Some think it’s bad to platform Sale’s conspiratorial ideas. Others think the article sheds light into how someone prominent like JS can end up going down various rabbit holes. YMMV🤷‍♀️
Another take on the debate from CBC Sports journalist Shireen Ahmed: It's better we know what Jamie Salé thinks now, than simply admire her for Olympic accomplishments

So the criticism directed toward Boyd for her story on Salé is, in my view, misguided. I believe Boyd was not only doing her job, but she was also offering Canadians more information. With that information comes power. I would be more upset if an athlete I adored was taking an arguably dangerous position and I knew nothing of it and kept them on a pedestal. I found Boyd's piece to be informative and helpful.

VGThuy

A confident injustice collector? WTH is that? :):confused:
I think those are people who are confident about expressing and believing that they were dealt with injustice in their life and have specific actors to blame for such injustices. Then they collect every time they’ve been done wrong and who the perpetrators were and keep a list of it, and never forget.

To be fair to Jamie, SLC was an injustice worth collecting. Whether you believe B/S or S/P should have won, the behind the scenes bs that happened totally took away any sense of fair play.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I wonder why she did not coach or try and find a career in the skating realm? Oh well, it is what it is so to speak.

She did a lot of professional skating after she and David retired. That's way more lucrative than coaching. And it's also exciting and involves being the center of attention, which isn't always the case with coaching, and which seem to be important to her.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Thanks for the explanation, now I know even more regarding the context of Alberta and now Toronto. I double-checked the post to make sure I recalled it correctly, and yeah, the poster said “Alberta”. Again, I’m not Canadian so I had no idea how true that statement is. Maybe it was made because of that poster’s impressions of Alberta or because Kurt is from Alberta and the story seemed quite unusual and I assume it doesn’t happen often in that part of Toronto…not saying it happens often in Alberta either.

I've lived in Alberta and I thought it was an Alberta thing, even though it happened in Toronto. Using whatever is on hand to get something done, even if it doesn't quite go as planned. Like using a hockey stick and a rope to help a calf get born (which Kurt describes in his autobiography).

I can't speak for everyone here, but I didn't see the comment as being intended as an insult to Alberta or to the intelligence of Albertans.

Winnipeg

I have lived in Ab too and did not experience any trends in stupidity over and above any other province I have lived in.

I think Kurt's examples may be just a dumb thing associated with someone lacking common sense in general, sorta like the Darwin principle? They come from all corners of the country and world..........

MacMadame

Doing all the things
She refused to talk to the Toronto Star for the article (part of the eville lamestream media that is participating in the conspiracy blah blah blah). All the quotes from her in the article were from other interviews and podcasts that she's done.
This is why I don't think the article should have been written. We don't know how Sale would answer specific questions put to her now only what she said in the past in other contexts, mostly friendly one, I think.

I think the American equivalent would be like, "Well, she's from Texas, what else would you expect?"
IMO both insulting.
It depends. If you are responding to someone having big lacquered hair during a time period that it isn't in fashion or someone owning a pickup truck with a gun rack on the back even though they live in a suburb and never hunt, those are very "Texan" things to do that aren't particularly insulting or implying the person is dumb. It's a cultural difference not an expression of someone's IQ.

OTOH, people do use it as an insult. Similar to "Florida Man."

A confident injustice collector? WTH is that? :):confused:
I'm not sure what confident has to do with how you collect slights (which are preserved as injustices no matter how small) so I am also confused.

Winnipeg

Maybe it means you are soooooo confident that you do not even question whether it is really an injustice or not? You are more sensitive to perceived and real injustice?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Those who believe in conspiracies have a lot of confidence. They think they know better than the rest of us.
Yes, so if the article said "confident, injustice collector" that would make sense. But it did not. Apparently, some injustice collectors do it confidently and some do not?? 🤷

ETA I finally got behind the paywall and I figured it out. The first time it's mentioned, the quote is "One is familiar: the injustice collector, impulsive and overconfident, who is eager to expose naïveté in everyone but him- or herself."

So the second one was just shorthand for the first and maps to "the injustice collector who is impulsive and overconfident"

Last edited:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Yes, so if the article said "confident, injustice collector" that would make sense.
Ack. That comma is making my eye twitch. No, no, that would not make sense, under any circumstances. :scream:

But it did not. Apparently, some injustice collectors do it confidently and some do not?? 🤷

ETA I finally got behind the paywall and I figured it out. The first time it's mentioned, the quote is "One is familiar: the injustice collector, impulsive and overconfident, who is eager to expose naïveté in everyone but him- or herself."

So the second one was just shorthand for the first and maps to "the injustice collector who is impulsive and overconfident"
Hence the reason I posted the link, but I did forget about the paywall. Mea culpa.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Ack. That comma is making my eye twitch. No, no, that would not make sense, under any circumstances. :scream:
How about "confident and an injustice collector" :lol:

I made some corrections to documentation that one of the non-native speakers wrote and I had to explain English verb conjugation and also possessive s verses plural s to here, too. Now that was fun.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
If only they could redeem them for something; at least it’d be an act of them letting it go and moving on.
I have a friend who keeps score. It's not exactly the same but similar. She takes her list out periodically and reminds herself of who took more from her than they gave or who didn't give as much as she did. Though in her case, if you even up the score, you do get off the list. I suspect the injustice collectors never remove from their list only add to it. :/

VGThuy

I have a friend who keeps score. It's not exactly the same but similar. She takes her list out periodically and reminds herself of who took more from her than they gave or who didn't give as much as she did. Though in her case, if you even up the score, you do get off the list. I suspect the injustice collectors never remove from their list only add to it. :/
Ironically, one of my fave movies is Kill Bill, and I was all about that list. Of course, that was an extreme situation…. And fiction. :lol:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
🤔 What do these people do with the injustices they collect?
IME, they nurse them assiduously so that their grievances grow and become stronger.
How about "confident and an injustice collector" :lol:
:scream:
IME, if you talk to conspiracy theorists long enough, you will find a lot of grievance and resentment that predate their beliefs in conspiracies. Sometimes it doesn't take long--it's right at the surface.

skategal

Bunny mama
It must be rather tiring to be around these confident injustice folks as their discussion topics would be rather repetitive and boring.
I think this is the reason why people freeze them out.

I think Ms. Sale would find people much more reasonable if she just said “I’m not taking the vaccine but you do what you want.”

But the discussion of how we are going to die if we take the vaccine and how now we are going to die because we took it and how hard done by they are for not taking the vaccine NEVER ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information