CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

starrynight

I think with Spooner it’s a bigger challenge for her because people will be comparing her to the pro ladies and not the male hockey players. Which isn’t particularly fair.

kittysk8ts

I’m not sure that highlighting Amanda’s role in Team USA winning gold over Canada is going to endear this team to the voting public.
I really don’t think it will matter. Ron McLean said “you’ve got guts coming up here” haha. I laughed. Hilarious.

Desperado

P.J. and Violetta are not skating tonight? Because he’s a late replacement? So sad to hear about his brother.

Am I remembering the first season of the show with rose coloured glasses, every performance so far seems... less stellar.

ETA: really enjoy Tessa’s comments.

rdavies

P.J. and Violetta are not skating tonight? Because he’s a late replacement? So sad to hear about his brother.

Am I remembering the first season of the show with rose coloured glasses, every performance so far seems... less stellar.

ETA: really enjoy Tessa’s comments.
Gotta disagree, the first season most of them were on hockey skates and understandably not up to the level of later years. Also the anticipation then was much higher, avoiding disaster was a triumph in the first year. I'm not sure if this was one of the better first shows tonight but nothing was bad, thankfully.

Maybe it was nervousness but Tessa's first comment seemed to go over like a lead zeppelin. Definitely Colby>Tessa/Scott, I want him to come back and be a regular. They have two more appearances.

Edit: No wonder Colby is good, he's an analyst for Sportsnet and the Penguins and was a figure skater as a child. I haven't watched the NHL in years, I didn't know that.

Last edited:

rdavies

I think with Spooner it’s a bigger challenge for her because people will be comparing her to the pro ladies and not the male hockey players. Which isn’t particularly fair.
It was the same thing with Tessa Bonhomme but David Pelletier was able to throw her around, although he almost lost her once. It will be the same with Radford/Kessel, he'll be able to throw her around because she's smaller and he's used to that (pairs lifts). That won't be happening for spoje, they should stick with dance lifts and footwork. It could have worked for Marshall/Kerr if he hadn't made a few mistakes. And I still think Brisebois/Bourne>the Russians

screech

My favourites were Andrew/Natalie and Kaitlyn/Sheldon by far.

Loved Colby as a judge. Scott wasn't bad. Tessa was useless (and what was with that hair?)

Loved Gerry Dee and like that they'll have a Canadian celebrity as the 'colour commentator' each week. Anyone know who else will be appearing? I'd love to see Ryan Stiles/Colin Mochrie there. (Or someone like Keanu Reeves, but let's be realistic).

kittysk8ts

My favourites were Andrew/Natalie and Kaitlyn/Sheldon by far.

Loved Colby as a judge. Scott wasn't bad. Tessa was useless (and what was with that hair?)

Loved Gerry Dee and like that they'll have a Canadian celebrity as the 'colour commentator' each week. Anyone know who else will be appearing? I'd love to see Ryan Stiles/Colin Mochrie there. (Or someone like Keanu Reeves, but let's be realistic).
Ryan Reynolds would be awesome!

rdavies

My favourites were Andrew/Natalie and Kaitlyn/Sheldon by far. Loved Colby as a judge. Scott wasn't bad. Tessa was useless (and what was with that hair?)
Amen, I'm sayin'. Just watching this again on the timeshift, joined a little late, thankfully avoided Ron's "surfer boy" moves. Yeah, the hair was not too great, meow.

Looks like Spoons and Kennedy will be the people's favourites, they both know how to lay on the charm. The Spooner skate was better than I thought for being this early. Personally, I would rather see good skating than lifts (contrary to the producers) and I think the two above will provide it. If it goes like in year's past that means they won't win.

Last edited:

screech

I expect the celebrity colour commentators will be mainly cast members of CBC shows. So we could see a member of Schitt's Creek or Kim's Convenience. Maybe Rick Mercer or a non-Drake Degrassi alum (Joey Jeremiah!). Or someone from Anne (I kept seeing a banner advertising it on the streaming screen). I don't really know of many CBC shows, but they probably won't pull from other networks.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Michael Buble show up, since his music is so overused in the skating world.

Other possibilities: Dan Aykryod or Martin Short would be fun. Joshua Jackson too, with the hockey connection (Mighty Ducks!). Howie Mandel, one of the Kids in the Hall (I kind of expect one of them). I could see Mike Myers (in some sort of character). OOOH Ed the Sock would be hilarious!

chantilly

This is my first season ever of watching this show. And while it reinforces my profound respect for just how difficult figure skating is and I love that it’s done for charity, the actual skating is so simplistic and cheesy that I don’t think I can make it through the season.

Despite my love for Kurt, Tessa and Scott, this might be it for me.

I wish I could share the enthusiasm and investment but alas, I just can’t.

But then I’m not much of a show skater fan or “dancing with the stars” fan, but I am a World of dance and a huge so you think you can dance (in particular) fan.

I love this as a sport. And while I appreciate these are all athletes, they are just not all figure skaters.

I don’t get the hate for Tessa’s hair. I thought it was chic.

But yeah Tessa needs to just relax and be herself. She’s a bit stiff.

Last edited:

rdavies

This is my first season ever of watching this show. And while it reinforces my profound respect for just how difficult figure skating is and I love that it’s done for charity, the actual skating is so simplistic and cheesy that I don’t think I can make it through the season.
I think you might be missing the point. The reason the skating was "simplistic and cheesy" as you said was because in the words of Gerry Dee "THEY HAVEN'T DONE IT BEFORE"

I can tell you where I "got it" It was when almost every figure skater to a man (woman) said this little show removed their boredom and cynicism (not their words) and brought back their love of skating (their words).

It's all about growth and evolution and you're not going to see that in one episode. And if this show is good enough for Kurt Browning (the GOAT who still has it at 53) and Christopher Dean, it's good enough for me.

Habs

A bitch from Canada

:huh:
These are hockey players who have never worn figure skates before. I'm not sure what you were expecting.

chantilly

Despite my love for Kurt, Tessa and Scott, this might be it for me.

I wish I could share the enthusiasm and investment but alas, I just can’t.

But then I’m not much of a show skater fan or “dancing with the stars” fan, but I am a World of dance and a huge so you think you can dance (in particular) fan.

I love this as a sport. And while I appreciate these are all athletes, they are just not all figure skaters.

I don’t get the hate for Tessa’s hair. I thought it was chic.

But yeah Tessa needs to just relax and be herself. She’s a bit stiff.
:huh:
These are hockey players who have never worn figure skates before. I'm not sure what you were expecting.
Hickey players are skaters too. Guess I was expecting more skating skills.

It’s really different skating on hockey skates compared to figure skates. The rocker is in a completely different position under your foot and they’re designed for completely different purposes. It was mildly terrifying putting on hockey skates for the first time after being a figure skater all my life.

The thing I like about battle of the blades is that because they are decent skaters in hockey skates and good athletes they improve fairly quickly.

rdavies

I guess if you're not aware of (or considering) the differences in equipment (blade), technique, and the requirement of artistry at the same time, you're not gonna "get it". Everyone who watches curling on TV thinks it's easy and that they could do it, until they try.

I have to ask you, do you actually expect someone after a month of training to be equivalent to a world championship level competitor. Wouldn't say much for the figure skaters would it?

manhn

Not every program works, but there were always a good number of gems through the seasons.

I mean, we shouldn’t compare them to competitive programs. TBH, the show is on par with most galas. There’s a reason I generally skip the gala while attending a competition.

chantilly

Skating skills, yes. But very, very different skating skills. Have you ever watched a hockey player skate? I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely wondering. Because it's not the same. And the skates most definitely aren't the same.
Yes. And often heard them talked about as great skaters. I get that the skates are very different, but I was expecting the skating skills to transfer over somewhat.

Anyway like I said above, I generally prefer competition shows where the competitors are incredibly skilled.

So World of Dance over Dancing with stars.

Thought I’d check the show out this season as they have some great cast members but it was disappointing for me.

Perky Shae Lynn

Yes. And often heard them talked about as great skaters. I get that the skates are very different, but I was expecting the skating skills to transfer over somewhat.

Anyway like I said above, I generally prefer competition shows where the competitors are incredibly skilled.

So World of Dance over Dancing with stars.

Thought I’d check the show out this season as they have some great cast members but it was disappointing for me.
World of Dance has professional dancers. Dancing with the Stars has professional dancers paired up with non-profesional dancers. Battle of the Blades is a wrong show for you. Hockey players are not figure skaters. Not even close. If you just want to see professionals competing, a regular skating competition would be more appropriate.

rdavies

Another reason I like this show is the positivity without being totally saccharine. Most reality shows bring out the worst in people, this show has always been about the opposite. Another fun part is seeing the progress from the first week to the last and when you see something as entertaining as hell where you suspend your disbelief that that guy isn't a figure skater but sure looks like one in this instance.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Another reason I like this show is the positivity without being totally saccharine. Most reality shows bring out the worst in people, this show has always been about the opposite. Another fun part is seeing the progress from the first week to the last and when you see something as entertaining as hell where you suspend your disbelief that that guy isn't a figure skater but sure looks like one in this instance.

I still think they should have won Season 2.

Actually, Shae & Claude Lemieux should have won Season 1.

Scrufflet

I loved it! Ron MacLean was so excited and it was fun watching him skate with Kurt! Everyone looked so happy to be there. I thought the hockey players were all fairly close together in terms of skill level although Sheldon Kennedy was just a tad better; he seemed to be loose, connected to Weaver and really enjoying it. Seeing Katia is always AMAZING! Oh I hope she never hangs up her blades!
And so neat to see Balde! Somehow I had missed that he was a part of it. Very smart to have him do a number.
Tessa must have been channeling Ivana Trump with the hair! However, nice to see both Scott and Tessa. Colton is fabulous! Gerry Dee I could have done without but now I'm getting really picky.
I like shows skating and I like competition skating, just adjust my expectations for each. Same with dance: WOD is my fave, followed by SYTYCD and then DWTS. I'm going to enjoy this season of BOTB. I went to 4 live shows over the years and had a blast.
Guest judges I'd like to see: Meagan and Aliona and their bellies together! That could be hilarious!

rdavies

I still think they should have won Season 2.

Actually, Shae & Claude Lemieux should have won Season 1.
Amen, I'm sayin'. Like PJ said we had to let the bad guys win one so we could have the comeback the next year :) Actually as I am re-watching some stuff I am willing to give a little more credit to Simpson/Bure but it still pisses me off (to quote Bure) that dancers don't get any credit. It's pretty obvious I'm a big fan of Spoons but did you see how naturally engaging she and Sheldon Kennedy were, they're naturals but after watching last night, the nature of the show won't allow them to win.

rdavies

Ooops! Yes. I'm only on my second coffee. Bad. I am Canadian but not a hockey fan, just FS fan.
I should have said Colby, the judge. I hope Mother Corp is reading the good feedback he is getting and will get him back if possible. Did you see him work the crowd for Sheldon Kennedy, that's gold baby!

rdavies

As I watch this again and give my untrained and uneducated analysis, I give two big thumbs up to Kaitlyn Weaver for totally throwing the spotlight to Sheldon Kennedy. For someone whose role is nearly always to be the one where the attention is thrown, to do that was really something. And she'll likely have to do that for most of the competiton so big props to her. She was practically invisible out there, a real magician misdirecting, wickedly good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information