CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
PJ is also a bit older than the other guys, in his 40s vs. 30s, for the most part. Plus, he was eliminated pretty early, so I'm not fussed. This also happened when Wade Belak passed away before the season started, and Russ Courtenall from the year before replaced him to skate with Kim Navarro.

I recognize maybe Sheldon Kennedy, and that's it for the male players. Honestly, is Amanda Kessel the most famous player this year? :p

Desperado

I was right about the decision for the delay then. I enjoyed Violetta and P.J.’s skates so I’m happy to see them again. They skated together nine years ago? Sheesh, time flies.

I’m ambivalent about the return of the show. On one hand I’m super excited about it being back, on the other, I’m worried about being disappointed. [Still traumatized over Veronica Mars Season 4.:yikes:]

Hmmm, Hinzmann, Kerr, and Sale all married their BOTB partners? :eek: I recall the Sale BOTB romance, but wasn't Sale still married to Pelletier at the time? Are you guys trying to intimate that sparks will fly regardless of significant other attachments? :lol: Something like that happened with Lloyd Eisler on a similar ice-related show in the U.S., no?

Oh well, hopefully no one is going on these shows looking for love exactly. ;)
Yes.... More info. here:

Skate Talker

My bets are on Radford and Kessel. He has the artistry, choreography and skating skills (and strength). She just needs skating skills which she likely has in spades
I am thinking Sheldon Kennedy and Kaitlynn Weaver will also have a strong following!
LOL - And this totally illustrates the part of these reality-show contests that I hate the most. @Winnipeg has chosen based on skill, while @mapleleafsk8fan has cited popularity.

I really wish it would be more about skill and performance and have nothing to do with popularity or reputation, but even in the ISU competitions reputation plays too big a roles so this kind of competition just takes it a to more of an extreme.

So I guess this is to say I watch and enjoy the performances but try not to get too invested in any particular competitors because the results are often just too bogus imo.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
LOL - And this totally illustrates the part of these reality-show contests that I hate the most. @Winnipeg has chosen based on skill, while @mapleleafsk8fan has cited popularity.

I really wish it would be more about skill and performance and have nothing to do with popularity or reputation, but even in the ISU competitions reputation plays too big a roles so this kind of competition just takes it a to more of an extreme.

:huh: Mapleleafsk8fan didn't give a reason for anything? But Sheldon's sister is a skater and was helping he and Ms. Weaver, which could also go a long way towards skill, performance, etc.

Not to mention Winnipeg made a guestimation, but no one has seen much of anything yet.

There are multiple factors for for votes, such as the charity or region a hockey player hearkens from-- like the year Kyoko Ina skated with Kelly Chase, and they repped Saskatchewan HARD. If performance and skill mattered, there'd be some different winners, such as year one. :p

So I guess this is to say I watch and enjoy the performances but try not to get too invested in any particular competitors because the results are often just too bogus imo.

That might be best. ;)

Skate Talker

:huh: Mapleleafsk8fan didn't give a reason for anything? But Sheldon's sister is a skater and was helping he and Ms. Weaver, which could also go a long way towards skill, performance, etc.

Not to mention Winnipeg made a guestimation, but no one has seen much of anything yet.
You are correct on both points. I guess I was taking "strong following" with my own interpretation to mean popularity - probably because of my stated dislike of popular voting.

And of course I did realize that Winnipeg seems to be making an assumption since nothing has aired yet but the assumption does appear to have to do with skill.

Emilia12

Every single pro skater this season is very skilled and very talented, I don’t think we can make any conclusions on performance skills of the teams before we actually saw anything
Plus, this season the voting is open worldwide, it might become a huge game changer

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Alvyne

Winnipeg

Yes, my "pick" was based on the skill of both skaters. But it is just a guess as there are many other factors that could affect this. You have to be able to easily lift the partner, right?

rdavies

Prediction - This will be the year that a dance team will finally get some respect (after years of my bitching) and producers will take heed. So it comes down to Poje/Spooner (Spooner will be the most popular contestant on the show) and Weaver/Kennedy. They'll play up the Kennedy story big time but he is 50 years old so that could be a problem. I'm not sure if I read his sister is a coach so he might have a head start. Also Spoons is a big girl so that could hinder her but I'm going with Poje/Spooner. The international vote could be a problem.

I haven't seen any of the teams skate yet, so not sure about skill yet. My main thought was the social media presence and promotion thus far by each team. It appears that Sheldon is very active on Twitter and Kaitlyn has been posting quite a lot on Instagram. I haven't seen many other social media posts yet from other teams but I'm sure they will be using social media platforms for stirring up votes very soon!

Last edited:

rdavies

Coincidence that my chosen team is centre screen? We shall see.

8vXSJaZ.jpg

rdavies

Unless the fix is in, like the year we let the Russians win to create drama for the next season, here is your winner

INFPSsB.jpg

starrynight

Natalie has lost a lot of training time due to being away at hockey camp.

But they have the advantage of Andrew being able to spend a lot of the program time lifting her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information